Coronavirus

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

Coronavirus - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Last day of being able to work from campus, as the total closing was announced just after noon. I hope the rest of you are fairing well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 5:26 pm

LL wrote:
The best consolidated "at a glance" info source I've found:

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

Just a tidbit about that graphic https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/13/viral-image/are-80-percent-coronavirus-cases-mild/

Stores around here have no paper goods, meat, eggs, milk, wife had to drive the next town over to buy baby formula for our grand daughter. Just for grins I hit the local gun shop and it was slammed. If you were buy a new gun expect to take about 2 hours to check out. Luckily ammo sales were just walk up to the counter and pay.

Desperate people do stupid things and make everything more dangerous for the rest of us.

One UK study came out and said if nothing was done you can expect 2 million deaths in the U.S.A. A virologist I know is saying expect 200k in the U.S.A. when the dust settles. It's all about flattening the curve and not overwhelming the hospitals. I am real concerned about the less fortunate with all the hoarding of essentials going on and I hope shortages do not continue and hopefully the economic impact will start to wain in the 4th qtr but I think we are looking at recession for sure.
Back to top Go down
LL

LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 6:34 pm

To cook a new dish you go to a grocery store with a list of ingredients.

Most humans "reason" the same way.  They don't analyze, they react. They reach conclusions about things on first encounter/exposure according to their feelings, then go "shopping" for facts to support those conclusions.

Afterward, when faced with information/data contrary to that conclusion, they push back with the only option they have.  Passion.

Shout down, shame, throw rocks, enlist their friends, organize a protest, scream, deflect, lie, deny, whatever.

Again:  It's the only option they have.

Since the dawn of civilization, a small number of Really Bright People Who Are Driven By Reality & Logic invented stuff that's been implemented and maintained by Ordinarily Bright People Who Are Driven By Reality & Logic, and the massive hordes of feelings-driven people have been followers.

Ironically, one of those very inventions has now enabled the feelings-driven hordes to reverse that dynamic and impose their will on the world.

Have you ever seen a crowd break into a store to loot and pillage?  Drive away the staff and sieze control?  

That's what is happening as we speak, everywhere.  Earth has gone from one-on-one paper mail and hardwired telephones to instantaneous, inexpensive, pocket-sized communication for every inhabitant in a single generation.

No one would dream of filling the toy chest of a pre-school daycare center with bottles of sulphuric acid, knives, and loaded firearms, but that's exactly what we have in situational terms.

This Corona business is simply the first global event that's contained enough "emotion power" globally to wake the giant that's been sleeping since the "connectivity critical mass" threshold was crossed a few years ago.

Last edited by LL on Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LL

LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm

PS --

Anyone who digs into it will discover that social media software is intentionally designed to be addictive.  To manipulate the brain's limbic system in exactly the same ways as "old school" addictions have done since Man's earliest days.  That it does the job spectacularly well is easily shown with realtime brain electrical activity mapping (quantitative electroencephalography).

Have you ever known a case of addiction that had a good outcome?  

In 98% of cases, the only non-rhetorical question is how the resulting disintegration and disaster will manifest itself.

I've wondered that very thing for a while now concerning Planet Earth's social media addiction.  

The answer is becoming clearer every day:  A single newworthy event that involved personal survival and was large enough to start a feedback loop was all it took. A shout of "Fire!" in the theater. The disruptions and countless lesser disasters created by that loop in turn triggering still more personal-survival-related news events which in turn create more disruption and disaster.  And so on.  In Chicago, for example, some police departments have already announced they will not respond to "low level" crime.  Prisons in at least three states have announced they are releasing inmates.  Most gun stores have already sold out of weapons and ammunition.

In short, to the earlier list of sulphuric acid, knives, and loaded firearms, add crack cocaine.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 7:19 pm

On a related and pleasant note, early this morning I had lined up for the opening of my local supermarket at 6AM. I was advised by the checker there a day or so ago that they stock paper products overnight when the store is closed and then it's first come first served. She went on to say that there were about 400 people there that morning for TP and sold out quick!

I hasten to add that I am most definitely not stockpiling or hoarding and have refused to get into that kind of "every man/woman for themselves mindset". YMMV. Yet as I was getting low on TP naturally I wanted to see if I could get some. I am fully prepared to do without if it comes to that btw.

Anyhoo, I was there at the store about 15 minutes early and was maybe about #30 in line. Right in front of me was an older gentleman with a lit pipe in his hand. I'd put his age somewhere in the 80's and he had what looked like a plain-jane straight stemmed Dublin of about a group 2 or 3 size. Naturally this was an opportunity to strike up a conversation and I did just that.

I commented on his pipe smoking and told him I'm a fellow piper and that he's only the second one I've seen outside smoking a pipe. Well, he turned out to be quite chatty and started telling me that he never smoked ciggies except when he served in Korea and was forced to use cigarette tobacco in his pipe since he couldn't get any at the PX. He went on to say that finally someone stateside started sending him 2# every month and that he always had a pipe in his mouth back then.

SWR was his preferred blend and he said he got that in the big cans at one of our local smokeshops. Also that he used to love Edgeworth but can't find it here. He then told me about the pipes he owned which included Petersons but that some of his stems needed work or replacing and didn't know how to get this done. I was mostly listening up until now but did mention that there were several well respected pipesmiths available on the internet. When I said "internet" his eyes kind of glazed over so I didn't pursue that. Although in retrospect I should have asked for his phone # and I would have given him info on that.

Never even asked his name but he was a fine gentleman and I hope to run into him again. Small world. Oh, and we did both score our TP, limit 2/customer!

geek

Cheers,

RR

Coronavirus - Page 3 Purple11x 3Coronavirus - Page 3 Bombx10Coronavirus - Page 3 Bombx10  Coronavirus - Page 3 D6bddf10 Coronavirus - Page 3 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Coronavirus - Page 3 Cowboy13Coronavirus - Page 3 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.

Last edited by Brewdude on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 3:04 am

Toilet paper madness here in Aus too. My employee has asked everyone who could work from home this week to do so. Nothing new here, been doing it for years, just no office visits now.
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 7:05 am

The Job Corps training facility shutdown and we took onboard my wife's son and luggage the other day. A storm in WY prevented him from going to his house and us picking up in Atlanta. Taking into account another person to feed a grocery store run took place. No paper products or meat on the shelves but other items were available. The toilet paper is even made in this area. According to a web search 90% of the U.S. toilet paper is made in the Atlanta area.
Totally wiped out. affraid

Luckily our RV site reservations have not been canceled yet; so smooth sailing so far. In an attempt to cut back on our paper products we do use the camp's bathroom which is cleaned daily and they are sanitizing several times as well. In some ways we have been isolated for several weeks now and have our home with us.

A recent YouTube video of a full time RV'er has requested that individuals with home/property suspend travel and taking up sites for others living full time. Makes sense and I'm sure he is receiving hate mail over that comment.
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 am

Watch what you flush
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/us/wipes-flush-toilet-pipes-wellness-trnd/index.html
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 1:33 pm

I'm surprised more people aren't exercising. Walking, bicycling, running. Something to get outside that you can do by yourself. Only one family walks their dogs in my neighborhood. Sitting around, hypnotized by their phones and the TV, fisting handfuls of chips, one after another? I bet obesity and anxiety rates shoot high.
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 1:41 pm

I'm sure most states will end up with a shelter in place order eventually. Gonna get bad before getting better I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
I'm surprised more people aren't exercising.  Walking, bicycling, running.  Something to get outside that you can do by yourself.   Only one family walks their dogs in my neighborhood.  Sitting around, hypnotized by their phones and the TV, fisting handfuls of chips, one after another?  I bet obesity and anxiety rates shoot high.

I got out for my first run this morning after being particularly poorly this time last week. Sunrise, blue skies, bird call, cattle shuffling round the fields... a perfect tonic.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 4:01 pm

Stick wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:
I'm surprised more people aren't exercising.  Walking, bicycling, running.  Something to get outside that you can do by yourself.   Only one family walks their dogs in my neighborhood.  Sitting around, hypnotized by their phones and the TV, fisting handfuls of chips, one after another?  I bet obesity and anxiety rates shoot high.

I got out for my first run this morning after being particularly poorly this time last week.  Sunrise, blue skies, bird call, cattle shuffling round the fields... a perfect tonic.

I've been doing run-walks here. Easiest way to avoid crowds and not get out of shape. For those who smoke it is a way to continue the hobby and not affect those at home. We'll all be spending plenty of time at home these days. lol!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 5:10 pm

LL wrote:
PS --

Anyone who digs into it will discover that social media software is intentionally designed to be addictive.  To manipulate the brain's limbic system in exactly the same ways as "old school" addictions have done since Man's earliest days.  That it does the job spectacularly well is easily shown with realtime brain electrical activity mapping (quantitative electroencephalography).

Have you ever known a case of addiction that had a good outcome?  

In 98% of cases, the only non-rhetorical question is how the resulting disintegration and disaster will manifest itself.

I've wondered that very thing for a while now concerning Planet Earth's social media addiction.  

The answer is becoming clearer every day:  A single newworthy event that involved personal survival and was large enough to start a feedback loop was all it took.  A shout of "Fire!" in the theater. The disruptions and countless lesser disasters created by that loop in turn triggering still more personal-survival-related news events which in turn create more disruption and disaster.  And so on.  In Chicago, for example, some police departments have already announced they will not respond to "low level" crime.  Prisons in at least three states have announced they are releasing inmates.  Most gun stores have already sold out of weapons and ammunition.

In short, to the earlier list of sulphuric acid, knives, and loaded firearms, add crack cocaine.

Indeed. The addiction to social media is the current challenge. Addiction never ends well if unmanaged, but finding more useful ways of channeling the need can help. There is no right answer, and definitely no cure as of yet, only shifting the locus to different points on the addictive spectrum. Hopefully those serve a purpose greater than self.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 7:08 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:

The rec centers and gyms here closed down Tue. I had been frequenting them religiously at least 6 days/wk. So now I've started a regime of running in place at home in the AM and fast walking outside in the afternoon. Maybe a poor substitute but it's better than nothing.

Cheers,

RR

Coronavirus - Page 3 Purple11x 3Coronavirus - Page 3 Bombx10Coronavirus - Page 3 Bombx10  Coronavirus - Page 3 D6bddf10 Coronavirus - Page 3 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Coronavirus - Page 3 Cowboy13Coronavirus - Page 3 4G80VIc

Back to top Go down
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2020 8:01 pm

I'm glad I work at home. I do my walking exercise around the neighborhood. When m'lady goes shopping, she gets what she needs or can, and gets out fast.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 6:43 am

Announcement made Friday evening by Oregon’s governor in conjunction with other state & local officials...the State of Oregon is going to announce a statewide “Stay at Home” order in a very few days. Trips for groceries medical supplies & employees of critical job categories going to and fro are OK. Being outside is fine but social distancing required. Armed state militia will be patrolling the streets with a ‘shoot to kill’ authorization. (That last one is BS...just seeing if you’re paying attention.)

Glad they’re getting serious.

Coronavirus - Page 3 D6bddf10Coronavirus - Page 3 29400910Coronavirus - Page 3 114e6110Coronavirus - Page 3 Ddb39b10Coronavirus - Page 3 Cf77ce10Coronavirus - Page 3 Dd692012Coronavirus - Page 3 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:12 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Announcement made Friday evening by Oregon’s governor in conjunction with other state & local officials...the State of Oregon is going to announce a statewide “Stay at Home” order in a very few days.  Trips for groceries medical supplies & employees of critical job categories going to and fro are OK.  Being outside is fine but social distancing required.  Armed state militia will be patrolling the streets with a ‘shoot to kill’ authorization.  (That last one is BS...just seeing if you’re paying attention.)

Glad they’re getting serious.

LOL my eyes went wide as I read that last part
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 11:24 am

LL's posts had me thinking of this quote:

"Seat thyself sultanically among the moons of Saturn, and take high abstracted man alone; and he seems a wonder, a grandeur, and a woe. But from that same point, take mankind in mass, and for the most part, they seem a mob of unnecessary duplicates, both contemporary and hereditary.” –Herman Melville

Sorry, a day late and dollar short, but I forgot to come back to post this. Probably unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 3:19 pm

This topic started on Feb 23 with the question do you know "if anyone has been directly affected or knows anyone who has been affected by the virus". The question is now ....Do you live in a area with a stay at home order. It looks like California, New York, New Jersey, Illinois and Oregon have or will have these orders. We can also add St louis county and City to the list. The following activities are generally OK :
✔ Grocery store/pharmacy/essential needs
✔ Carry out at bars & restaurants
✔ Go to work for most businesses
✔ Take a walk, exercise outside
✔ Doctor appointments & other essential activities
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 3:24 pm

By the way, I read somewhere that liquor stores were considered essential activities.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Bub wrote:
By the way, I read somewhere that liquor stores were considered essential activities.

As well they should be!

Here in Arid-zona home deliveries are now inclusive of alcohol beverages. Presumably with proper ID....

Cheers?

RR

Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 1:43 pm

We are supposed to stay at home here. No draconian measures as of yet, however. Our president (AMLO) says it is not that serious, so kiss and hug everyone and show no fear. He's got our backs. I think he's banking on being situated nicely with Trump when all is said and done.

I'll stay in, thank you very much.

People are picking up mad libations to pass the time. Good thing they have to stay at home and not drive around. lol!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 2:29 pm

One of our big stores, Tescos, opened an hour early today (Sunday) to allow NHS staff time to shop and get properly restocked. As a NHS employee I thought I'd take advantage of some hassle free shopping as we're getting pretty low, so naively minced in at 0850hrs ready for a 0900 pootle around the store. Stone the crows! There was a queue of NHS staff 350m long when I arrived!!!

I eventually got in and made a point of not heading straight for the toilet paper, pasta etc as I didn't want to fuel [i][that/i] fire. When I finally got there I had the penultimate pack of toilet paper. Other stuff I couldn't get. The NHS staff filled the store and it's a big store. Unfortunately they couldn't open the tills until 1000hrs due to trading laws on a Sunday. This meant that the aisles quickly filled down both sides leaving just enough room down the middle for a trolley to fit through but, of course, the shelves were blocked by folks queuing. Total grid lock! It took me nearly 3 hours to complete a mission that would ordinarily take 40 mins.

The better news is that I'm now out of isolation so will be off to our PO tomorrow to complete this month's Bombing Mission.

Fun and games.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Medical supply scumbags (and other lowlife opportunists). Masks that were $.85 are now $7 each. Respirators are listing 5Xs the original price and more, which was probably jacked up at regular price. Remember those $600 govt contracted toilet seats in the 80s?
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 1:28 pm

We go to 'lockdown' here Friday for 3 weeks. Hope it helps.

Meanwhile, a film about my home-away-from home as one of the epicenters starts to cope:

Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

Coronavirus
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: