HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Benjamin Button wrote:

9. The number 9 surrounds my life. My birthday is 9-9-1980. If you add up all those numbers it equals 9. No matter what way you add them. ( ex. 9+9+1980= 1,998. 1+9+9+8=27. 2+7=9) It always equals 9.

Same goes for my social security number when added up. Very strange. Often my addresses where I live, rooms I stay in, my current girlfriends birthday (2-16-1980, do the math), dates, etc. All 9.

I'm convinced this is going to be my year.

This could be your theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1G9wLGit4k
Back to top Go down
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Here is my stuff:
1. While I like computers and the internet, my list that was completed a couple of days ago disappeared when I hit a button. Just goes to show you that there is always more to learn.
2. Speaking of learning, I have a PhD in pharmacology and have published articles in peer reviewed journals. Speaking of learning, I wish that I could remember what I knew back then. I also wonder if its still true.
2. My interest in pipes started in the 60's with Charatans, GBDs, and Comoys. Unfortunately, they were purchased on a student's budget. If I knew what I know now I would be living off my pipes rather than a dwindling IRA.
3. I also felt like an outcast. We moved from the mid west to the east coast when I was in the sixth grade. I put on a lot of weight and peaked out at 215 with a 42 inch waste. At graduation I was down to 175. Exercise has always been important for me. I still try to lift myself out of bed in the morning, lift my own wine glass and push myself away from the diner table.
4. I am married to a lovely woman who is a great companion but worries about everything. Our son (Paul) has started an internet business selling knives and leather knife sheathes. You can check them out at http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/
5. I have a soft spot in my heart for animals. Currently we have a golden retriever (Ollie) who is my smoking buddy. If you check out Paul's web site, you will find out how he came up with his "no dry humping policy".
6. I lived in Calgary, Alberta, had a block heater for my car, but never stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel. I did smoke a Cuban cigar in the car while driving back to Calgary from Banff in the middle of winter. I am just beginning to get my sence of equilibrium back.
7. I like jazz, blues, folk music and wine. Not necessarily in that order.
8. I traded too many pipes to buy a Castello pipe that I talked about earlier. After two smokes, I am glad that I did.
9. I like going out with Ollie, smoking a pipe, looking at the stars and feeling insignificant.
10. If this post disappears again, I am not writing another one.
Bub

Last edited by Bub on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:47 pm

1.I was born and raised in Northern Illinois but will move South when I retire.

2.Worked since I was 10,started with a paper route....worked for the telephone company as engineering tech for 28 years until they closed,got a job with Post Office as maintenance tech 14 years ago.

3.Served in USAF as a data processing drone.

4.Have always liked History,Civil War,firearms,fishing,target shooting with surplus military rifles.Motorcycles when I was younger.

5.Always liked to drink too much,it got out of hand when I was in my forties and I went to AA and got sober after some time trying to control it myself.

6.10 years married to my Godfathers daughter from Staten Island.Her father and my father were best friends and shipmates on a destroyer in Halsey's fleet during WW2.She is the brake on my wild side,without her influence I am too wild.

7.My wife is slowly going blind from a hereditary eye disease[Retinitis Pigmentosa]
She still has a small amount of vision left but uses the cane all the time.

8.My wife is deeply religious,I am more with spirituality.We have a prayer room in our house thats like a little chapel where we go to pray and meditate.

9.I was a fanatic for working out and bodybuilding,before I got married all I used to do was work,work out,and go to AA meetings.I still exercise 3-4 times a week but 3 hernia surgeries from 30 years of lifting limit what I do.

10.I was never a big cigarette smoker,,,,always played with pipe smoking until the internet came along and away I went.I can smoke in the house,thank God!I have about 50 pipes alot of Ardors and Radices plus a dozen meers.

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frankluke

Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:22 am

here goes,

1. i am romani / gypsy.

2. i didn't go to high school and have been working since i was 12.

3. i grew up very poor but my parents gave us a good life.

4. i am a moderator at a different pipe forum.

5. married at 18 and have three beautiful healthy children.

6. nicky scarfo used to give me and my brother candy when we were children, my uncle worked for him.. (nothing bad)

7. rad davis is my favorite maker, i have about nine of his pipes and hope to one day be the top davis collector.

8. i have a large collection of habanos and a walk in humidor.

9. i played poker for a living before the boom.

10. my friends and i were they first to sell yankees suck t-shirts outside of fenway ('94)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.internationalpipeclub.com
howellhandmade

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:10 am

1. I went through the class C international pistol coaches' school at the OTC in Colorado Springs.

2. I've performed Beethoven 7 over 40 times.

3. I'm allergic to cats. And horses. And seafood. Really bummed about the last one.

4. The coldest I've ever been was hunting ducks in -23F.

5. Four winters ago I made a guitar.

6. I lived in New Zealand for almost a year. Now I understand cricket.

7. I didn't realize there was a gentlemanly point to quit smoking a cigar. If I get a RA Special Selection I'll smoke it until I need a roach clip, then let it burn like incense.

8. My first car was a 1977 Pontiac Bonneville. My first wife kept driving while blinded by the sun and crashed it into a cemetery.

9. I'm left-handed.

10. Great. Now I'm late for work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Cool thread!

1. I've performed juggling at the Edmonton International Street Performers' Festival, and the Edmonton International Fringe Festival.

2. My favourite music artist is Bruce Springsteen. I once drove to Tacoma, Washington to see him perform, and then he came here like 8 months later and I went again.

3. I'm studying history and political science at the University of Alberta.

4. I'm an atheist.

5. I drive a Zamboni for a living. As of yet I haven't crashed it.

6. My only regret growing up was that I quit learning to play piano. I played the trumpet in high school, but it just isn't the same.

7. All of the shelf space, desk space, flat surfaces, and floor in my room is stacked with books. My reading interests range from the gonzo journalism of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, to science fiction and fantasy.

8. I love tobacco in pretty much any form. Despite having parents that are extremely anti-tobacco, I've managed to enjoy the hobby since I turned 18. The most inspiring thing that I've learned from being a smoker is how amazing the community solidarity is - the social interactions that smokers have hanging out are incredible, and I don't think they can be repeated by any other group.

9. I ski raced for 7 years. Yeah...the spandex kind of ski racing Very Happy

10. The most amazing place I've ever been was on the roof of the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence, Italy. I was lucky enough to go for a school trip in grade 12. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:View_of_the_Duomo%27s_dome,_Florence.jpg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 am

1. In High School I was voted most likely to end up in prison.

2. I grew up to be a police officer (36 years and still cruising). I was associate minister at an A/G Church for 18 years (no, I'm not that old. I did em both at the same time). I'm lead Chaplain for my department now.

3. I love rainy days when I can sit on my front porch, read and listen to the rain fall. My taste in books is pretty catholic. I prefer mysteries but also read history and science, science fiction and fantasy and biograpy. Love Stephen King's short stories far more than his novels. study

4. I played guitar in a rock band, played mandolin and a little fiddle in a bluegrass group and now dabble with the tin whistle.

5. I love all kinds of food but, like Jason, cannot abide the taste of liver. Once I ate two servings because I was having dinner at a friend's house and that was what his mom fixed. I didn't want to hurt her feelings so I ate what I was served. After congratulating myself on getting it down I heard her say, "Oh, you must really like liver. Here have another piece."

6. I am a published writer although I haven't written much in years.

7. My wife of twenty-six years is my best friend in the whole world.

8. I have a Harley Davidson FLHTPI. Of course, it's a retired police bike. I belong to the Blue Knights Tennessee III Chapter in Knoxville.

9. My favorite form of relaxation is to sit in Smoky's (my local B & M) and enjoy a pipe while listening to the guys talk.

10. Despite what I do for a living, I'm pretty much an introvert.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:28 pm

What a great thread! Thanks to everyone who shared.

Alright, 10 things about me:

1. I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. And believe me, it was wild and wooly. I am a 4th generation Alaskan, and, since it has only been a state since 1959, that is very rare. My mother's side of the family is from Alaska, my father's from Colorado, where I live now. (You just can't beat 300 days of sun a year!)

2. I am told that I am an exceptional cook. I worked in kitchens while ski bumming, while in college and just after, from steak houses to a four star hotel on the National Historic Registry (it was the Stanley Hotel, in Estes Park, Colorado -- they filmed the Shining there...). I rarely use a recipe or a measuring device of any sort -- unless baking, which I could be better at. I especially like cooking Italian, but also can cook any type of seafood, bbq, love to make homemade soups, Chinese food, and of course Mexican (my green chile is flippin' killer, IMHO...).

4. I have skied naked in a snowstorm, fly fished naked with a dry fly and caught a 16 inch rainbow, rock climbed naked all except for a chalk bag and climbing shoes, and have recently cooked an elaborate breakfast in the buff.

5. I have launched a 50 foot cliff, on 210 cm skis, in a raging snowstorm, while tripping on high grade LSD, and stuck the landing. (not naked)

6. I have, at one time or another, mostly in my younger days, lived out of my car, in a tent, on a boat, in a treehouse, in an old abandoned cabin, in a simple hut in the jungle, and out of a backpack. Looking back, those were some of the best times in my life.

7. I backpacked, solo, for six months, starting on the Yucatan Peninsula, through Belize, Guatemala, and finally Honduras. I did this just after I graduated from college. I explored many remote Mayan temples and ruins, studied Spanish, got to know myself in a way one only can when traveling solo in foreign countries, became a PADI certified scuba diver, swam with sharks, smoked the most amazing joint ever -- a three footer rolled by a British guy in the middle of a Guatemalan cafe, and met many remarkable people from all over the world. An incredible trip, on so many different levels.

8. In Alaska, I have: commercial fished in Cook Inlet and Bristol Bay, been a certified National Weather Observer and lived in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE (Alaska grade "Middle of Nowhere," if you know what I mean), worked in a cannery one summer, bungie jumped illegally off the highest bridge in the state, recently completed a Master's degree in Education, was lucky enough to have fly fished many very remote streams only because my buddies were bush pilots, have had many bear encounters, have mushed a dog team on the historic Iditarod Trail (not the actual race, but just for fun), and eaten more fresh salmon, halibut, crab, clams, scallops, and moose than you could shake a stick at.

9. I am empathic, highly intuitive, and can "read" most people quickly and easily.

10. I believe in the power of a positive mental attitude, I believe in a loving God, I believe in smiling and nodding at other people passing by for no reason what so ever. I stretch every morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Hey Trout Bum. I am impressed. You sound like the kind of guy who'ld be fun to hang around with. But remind me to skip breakfast!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Trout Bum wrote:
...swam with sharks, ...
I thought this would be followed by "naked" lol!
Now THAT could be dangerous!
Back to top Go down
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Quote :
4. I have skied naked in a snowstorm, fly fished naked with a dry fly and caught a 16 inch rainbow, rock climbed naked all except for a chalk bag and climbing shoes, and have recently cooked an elaborate breakfast in the buff.
Sir, my hat comes off to you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipeclubsi

Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:43 pm

1. From Slovenia, the country no one knows. A great celebrity hideout.
2. Always watched too much TV, but learned a lot from it.
3. Totally love music and collect stuff from around the world, from ethno to metal. People don't understand how I put on CD 20 different genres at the same time, but I don't see the problem if all the music is good to my ears.
4. A bit of a nonconformist, slightly antisocial, withdrawn, but friendly and honest.
5. Addicted to chocolate, 100 g per day min. Never touched real drugs in my life, and never will.
6. Love movies, but can't stand most of today's idiotic production suited for small children and mentally retarded.
7. Don't like sports, to do, to watch, anything to do with sports. BBQ is a closest thing to sports I do.
8. I believe locking up aggressive and lying politicians, religious leaders and journalists would bring peace to Earth (bar fights would stay).
9. Love classic elegance, when women looked like women and men looked like men.
10. Always drive a VW, used to have a Karmann Ghia.

Last edited by pipeclubsi on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Number 6

Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:52 am

Trout Bum- In the (paraphrased) words of Bill Murray, "I want to party with this guy!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Number 6

Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:58 am

Pipeclubsi- IRC (Iwan Reiss and Co.) tobacco is pretty common, but I don't know how available it is where you are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipeclubsi

Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:33 pm

It wasn't IRC, but something with G or C, perhaps also T... It was in 1995, so I really can't recall. It could be an Eastern European mark, not known to us. But it smelled so fine.

I have one more man to ask about his tobacco. I pass him on my way to work, his tobacco smells nice as well. A bit dense aromatic thing, but very nice. He is an old, blind, bearded man, sitting outside a bar (smoking ban in force here) and drinking cold beer at -10C (14F). His son is a known concert promoter and I worked with him a few times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Wow, interesting thread. I'm going to go for the more random, less biographical end of the spectrum here:

1. I type over 80 WPM on average, and have hit 100.

2. I roast my own coffee.

3. I think astrology and all things related to the Zodiac are downright stupid (no offense to those who are into it).

4. People who say or write BCE / CE instead of BC / AD annoy me a lot.

5. I own over 10 fretted instruments: several guitars, bass, banjo, mandolin, ukulele. I can even play all of them to various extents.

6. If I get even a little drunk, I will get sick and have a hangover.

7. My first computer was a Texas Instruments 99/4A.

8. I have no middle name.

9. Incorrect use of the apostrophe drives me crazy, probably because there is one in my last name.

10. I have made an effort over the last few years to be the guy who spells out every acronym. For example, today we received a new digital video disc player. Internet communications are generally an exception to this.

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:22 pm

adauria wrote:

10. I have made an effort over the last few years to be the guy who spells out every acronym. For example, today we received a new digital video disc player. Internet communications are generally an exception to this.

That's a good habit. I don't know what half of the acronyms I use actually stand for and the others I have to really think about before I could tell you. Laughing

http://www.web-friend.com/help/lingo/pcacnm.html

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Not very random at all Andrew! Very Happy Then again maybe so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:10 pm

I was looking through that list I posted and found one that I never knew what it stood for but knew where it was applied.

CMYK Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, blacK

It describes a color printer that uses standard toner cartridges but I never put together it was the colors because K does not stand for Black. Laughing

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:33 pm

1. I spent five and a half years in college to earn a BS in graphic communications and a bachelor of music in performance only to go to work on the railroad, but then I don't think I could stand to sit behind a computer all day and anyone that's tried to make a living in music knows how easy that is!

2. A friend and I once destroyed an old computer monitor by throwing it on top of a train from a bridge.

3. After spending years drinking nothing but craft beers I've found I have taken a real liking to the classic American lager, just because it is simple and refreshing.

4. A relaxing day for me is driving 200 miles on backroads I have never been on while listening to my iPod.

5. Last year I spent two hours digging my car out of a ditch filled with snow in the middle of the woods near White Pine, MI after the road I was on simply stopped.

6. I don't care about sports and I usually glaze over whenever people talk about them.

7. I am a published photographer.

8. Speaking of which, despite growing up in the digi-photography era, I can process and print my own black and white film.

9. The town I grew up in had only 160 people in it. My graduating class was 7, one was a Hungarian foreign exchange student; my kindergarten class was 4, all were part of my final class of 7, and we were the only 4 that would attend and graduate college; my mom taught my English classes from 7-11 grade.

10. I have really started to get into collecting pre-prohibition beer bottles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lewisableidinger.com
Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:35 pm

jhuggett wrote:
I was looking through that list I posted and found one that I never knew what it stood for but knew where it was applied.

CMYK Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, blacK

It describes a color printer that uses standard toner cartridges but I never put together it was the colors because K does not stand for Black. Laughing

As well as the standard four color press. As I understand it K actually stands for Key color (which is black 99% of the time), though I would say it's more commonly attributed to blacK, as you mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lewisableidinger.com
Hammer8

Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 pm

1. My wife and I met at Daytona Bike Week when 6 of us rode our motorcycles down the sidewalk and into a bar owned by a friend because we couldn't find parking anywhere else. We were married 3 years and 5 days later, also at Bike Week. Must have made a good first impression.

2. My son and wife are my whole world. I would without hesitation kill or die for either one of them.

3. I tend to be extremely quiet by nature, except in the company of a handful of people who I trust completely.

4. I was always closer to my grandfather than any other family member. My 7 month old is named after him. It's amazing that 11 years after his passing how badly I still miss him. Hopefully by the grace of God, he knows how things are going in my life.

5. I am have very old fashioned values. It's natural for me to hold a door for a woman, give up my seat for an elderly person or feel that a hand shake is as valid as a written contract. Because of little things like this, and a score of others, my wife tells me that I should have been born 50 years earlier.

6. With the exception of specific brands of corn, tomatoes, and baked beans, I refuse to eat any other canned vegetables. I got spoiled growing up on farm raised and home preserved produce.

7. My biggest (only???) regret was not serving in the military. Knee problems and very bad eyesight would have kept me out of the Marines, and at the time didn't have a desire to even look into any other branch.

8. The only reason I moved to Wisconsin was because of my wife (then girlfriend). While it's nice here, and the people are wonderful, it still isn't home and hopefully someday we will move back to PA.

9. I'm a biker, not a rider. There is a difference.

10. Favorite movie of all time: The Godfather or any John Wayne movie. It depends on my mood at the time.

Last edited by Hammer8 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldog Bruce

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Heh, that 1. is great Hammer8. The only time myself and a couple of friends rode our scoots into a bar that was open it didn't belong to a friend of ours. After some un-easy moments we became friends. He did tell us if we had done burn-outs it would have turned out much differently. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:05 pm

1. I was 24 inches long when i was born
2. I am the 4th son of a 4th son of a 4th son
3. I don't plan on having 4 kids let alone 4 boys
4. I have a 181, 5-pin bowling average
5. I just went snowboarding for the first time ever this week
6. I have never had a relationship with a dark-haired woman only blondes and red-heads for some reason
7. I have embalmed over 100 people and cremated even more
8. I have kissed the Blarney stone twice and the pavement a bunch of times
9. I believe in aliens
10. I once stayed up for three days straight playing video games when i was fourteen and no one noticed in my household.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:58 pm

Hammer8 wrote:
9. I'm a biker, not a rider. There is a difference.

Amen to that Brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: