HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
vaperfavour

Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:28 am

1. I looooove perique! 2. I work too much. 3. i've slept with a lot of women. memories are great! 4. i've experienced too much tragedy in my life. 5. yankee by birth, southerner by choice! 6. I was in 64 fist fights by the time I was 20. 7. I miss my cheating, lying ex-wife. 8. I love chihuahuas. 9. I blew off a date with a playboy pet of the year. this was not smart. 10. for the first time in my life I have real hope for the future. not because of obama.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipeclubsi

Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 am

Hammer8 wrote:

5. I am have very old fashioned values. It's natural for me to hold a door for a woman, give up my seat for an elderly person or feel that a hand shake is as valid as a written contract. Because of little things like this, and a score of others, my wife tells me that I should have been born 50 years earlier.

Hey, those are not old fashioned values! Those are forever, universal and best values...and it's nice we still have that kind of gentlemen existing. I hope those are the values that all the pipe smokers do accept as well. I like to think that a pipe smoker is a nice person, whatever his/her life style is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:54 pm

Hammer8,
I tell my students, I am not a "motorcycle enthusiast," I'm a biker. Since they can see me, they know what I mean. We have a prof in my department who has become the poster child for motorcycle safety. Gets funding, and press, etc. I am the only biker in our department, hell, probably in the school. In 10 years of being in the same department--we have never spoken. She is an "enthusiast."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Don't know why, but that word ENTHUSIAST just bothers me. It's kinda smarmy. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: 10 Perhaps Not So Random Facts   Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:03 pm

A great idea - I've enjoyed getting a sense of everyone. Here is mine:

10. I am an intellectual by temperament and an academic by profession (I am a assistant, soon to be tenured I hope, professor at a regional campus of one of the Big Ten);

9. I consider pipes to be primarily a conveyance for tobacco and not as objects in and of themselves (i.e., I am not a pipe collector);

8. I enjoy cigars as much as I enjoy pipe tobaccos as much as I enjoy fine rolling tobaccos as much as I enjoy good dry snuffs and so forth and so on;

7. I take great pride in my cellar, and enjoy contemplating it on a daily basis;

6. In addition to fine tobaccos, I enjoy fine coffees and occasionally roast my own time permitting; food is also a big part of my life;

5. I have a beautiful little girl and a wonderful wife who despises tobacco in all its forms; we are a bi-cultural family and speak two (sometimes three) languages at home;

4. I have an extensive personal and professional library which crowds my home and my office, and am a confirmed bibliophile who collects in various subject and other areas of interest, including tobacciana history;

3. It seems that I am much, much younger than the vast majority of folks on this board, and it gives me great pleasure to have access to its years of collective wisdom;

2. I actually do own a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, but do not wear it very often;

1. It bothers me to no end when people ask “are you off work today”, etc., as there are no strict boundaries between ‘work’ and ‘life’ in what I do – just because I am not teaching a particular day or meeting with students, in a committee meeting, or at my desk hashing out a article and such like, does not mean that I am not ‘working’, it just does not ‘work’ that way;

0. (why only ten?) We own a Depression-era folk Victorian which I have had great fun renovating over the past few years - they just don't makes houses the way they used to.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:25 pm

<bumping>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread up, Slow Puffs. Those four pages were a mighty interesting read. I feel like I just gained a month or two on getting to know some folks. I'm new here, so I thought I'd throw a few out there:

1. I’ve been smoking a pipe since the early 90's. Each year I smoke it more and more. It gives me patience, and I count it as my good friend.

2. I played Division I basketball in college. I'm 6'7" but played small forward. I was a pretty nasty dunker back then. Now I can barely dunk with one hand. I’m fine with that.

3. I have gone from being a nerd to becoming a popular jock in high school/college and now all the way back around to being a big nerd. It just suits me much better.

4. Sometimes I get withdrawal to the point of sickness when I go too long without casting my fly rod for a nice trout. I’m feeling it as I type this. I like the streams in northwestern North Carolina (my family has a little getaway house with the south fork of the New River running through the front yard in West Jefferson, NC) and the tribal waters in Cherokee, NC.

5. I am way into my wife and kids. It has probably held me back from promotions at work, and I might even need to be medicated for it. But I am seriously ga-ga over them. Seriously.

6. I bought a travel trailer just so my wife would go camping with our three boys and me. It was one of the best purchases we’ve ever made. Instant memories being made all the time. Her idea of roughing it was staying at a hotel with only one restaurant. She needs her own potty. So we got it.

7. I track bills on WheresGeorge.com. I’m top 100 in North Carolina. Why, yes, I do have lots of free time on my hands.

8. We homeschool our three kids. My wife does a much better job educating our children than the government ever could. Period. Plus, her food beats the cafeteria any day. We have a Bible based curriculum.

9. I was a police officer in a small city of 250,000 for 6 years. As a result of that experience I will never again desire to work for any government. I'm in operations management in hospitals for a living now.

10. My favorite type of music is Bluegrass. Yours should be, too. It’s what you’ll hear when you cross the pearly gates. You might as well start now.

Last edited by TallSmoke on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Very interesting Joe! I can't wait until this coming Saturday to put a face with that great life story!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 pm

TallSmoke wrote:
10. My favorite type of music is Bluegrass. Yours should be, too. It’s what you’ll hear when you cross the pearly gates. You might as well start now.
So I should start listening to Top 40 radio to get used to the soundtrack I'm going to hear where I'm going, huh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:57 am

!

Last edited by beaupipe on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:51 am

beaupipe i couldn't agree more on the songwriters! Congratulations on retaining a sensible Canadian outlook on things as well. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:58 am

Slow Puffs wrote:
Love Bluegrass... here's the master...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOt8D4xgvs&feature=related

That's a good one Paul! I love Ricky Scaggs "Soldier of the Cross" collection.

His son plays on the worship team at a church I visit from time to time and sometimes Ricky Scaggs is there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:13 am

Slow Puffs wrote:
Love Bluegrass... here's the master...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOt8D4xgvs&feature=related

Ricky Skaggs is the modern day master, for sure. I love many of his songs and tunes. I am pretty old school, though and fancy the songs of old from Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Reno and Smiley, Jimmy Martin and the Osborne brothers, among others. A lot of the modern bluegrass is losing that sound quickly. That's a bummer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
N7COF

Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Great idea and here goes:

1. I was born in La Jolla CA. but raised in Santa Barbara. I have also called home Lake Tahoe, Palm Springs, Santa Fe, Steamboat Springs & Las Vegas.

2. I won a award for being the youngest (12) FCC licensed radio operator back in 1977. Hence a outcast & nerd from a young age.

3. Just missed qualifying for Mensa when I was 18 & lost interest in it after that.

4. Wanted to join & serve in the military but couldn't due to leathal allergies & other conditions. Instead I worked in the defense industry as a milli-meter wave technology technician building toys for our troops.

5. I don't watch sports unless I'm getting paid for it. After my work in defense most of my career has been in broadcasting (I'm a bastard engineer = no degree). I use to travel the west handling some of the satellite communications for NBA, NFL, NHL, Track & Field.

6. I went to a christian school, worked (Satellite Broadcasting) for most of the worlds organized religions from the Pope to Louis Farrakhan. The only two I respected after seeing there organizations from behind the scenes were Billy Graham & the Buddhists. This and life in general has helped me become a non believer while still remaining spiritual.

7. Somehow I missed my prescheduled departure date of 10 Aug. 1994. The date I was in a auto accident that left me under a doctors care for over 3 years. The driver that hit me was most likely drunk and a off duty sheriff. I sustained 18 injuries including amnesia that I never recovered from.

8. I'm a Lifetime Member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition - Some of my passions are 4 Wheeling, Camping, Gun Rights, Photography and Landuse/Access Rights. I even started blogging earlier this year. http://briancrichardson.blogspot.com/

9. Last January I celebrated three great years on DNR status and love beating the odds on my terminal illness's.

10. My favorite surroundings to enjoy a pipe is in the backcountry & around a campfire with friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Bumped - for any who would like to add...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Not sure if I have 10 facts that you guys dont know already, but I'll give it a shot. In no particular order:

1. I graduated Suma Cum Laude with my bachelors. Dad didn't show up to watch me give a speech. 4.0 with my Master's

2. I too love animals, have 3 dogs, a parrot, 2 fish tanks, and a turtle.

3. Grew up in a colonia in the neighborhood where the leader of the Gulf Cartel lives/lived. Mom didn't want me. Was raised by my 80 year old grandfather until he died when I was 15 in which case I moved back in with my mom and dad. I learned to cook really young and was driving by 12.

4. Have relatively no family, been on my own for so long I don't really understand family ties nor relationships.

5. I wear fedora and Western style hats.

6. I have had paranormal experiences and believe I am more sensitive to stuff than others.

7. I've been a hard core weight lifter for a good 5 years though I loved working out as a youngster, just never could afford/find the time.

8. I don't smile, so people assume I'm a jerk or mean. Shrug, maybe I am...

9. A great number of ex girlfriends have met their husbands after dumping me. 50 % call me when they get divorced to tell me that it should of been me, including one that contacting me about the time I found out I was having a child.

10. I am a disc golfer.
Back to top Go down
stan41

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:41 pm

1. I was born and raised on a ranch/farm 10 miles from where I live now.

2. My nearest neighbor lives a mile away.

3. I wouldn't live in a town the size of Dallas if you gave me the whole town.

4. I have been married to my first and only wife for 48 years.

5. I watch TV an average of 30 minutes per month.

6. I mess with this computer lots more than that.

7. I'm not into pipe collecting, nor how they look. How they smoke is the only important thing to me.

8. I have CLL. (chronic lymphocitic leukemia) but it doesn't bother me.

9. I like to cook stuff outside. Chuckwagon cooking, dutch ovens, BBQ, etc.

10. I am bothered by the possibility that tobacco will not be available by mail. I live 150 miles from the nearest tobacco shop.

Stan41
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeremyt

Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:47 pm

1. Was brought home from the hospital and raised by my grandparents.
2. My mom was in and out of my life through my childhood.We established a decent relationship in my teenage years, witch was cut short. When I was 18 she was killed in a car accident about 2 miles from home.
3. Didn't know my father until I was about 13 yrs old. He also was in and out of my life. Still to this day I have never called him dad, I call him by his name. We don't have to good of a relationship.
4. In my late teens early twenties I got mixed up with the wrong people doing the wrong things, my father being one of those people.This lasted for a few years. Found myself in alot of trouble looking at a lengthy prison sentence. I trusted in the Lord to get me through it and he did , no prison ,instead 4 yrs supervised probation.
5. Turned my life around, for the last 5 yrs been walking the right path.January 11,2010 5yrs clean.
6. I work all I can. My wife has been out of work for 3yrs now. It's so bad financially right now that we are unable to live together. She lives with her grandmother and I had to move back in at my grandparents. Things are looking up I'm paying off bills 1 by 1.
7. I love my wife. We have been together 9 yrs. She's my best friend, my rock. She was there when no one else was.
8. I have a beautiful 10 yr old daughter that means everything to me. She has changed my life in so many ways it's wonderful.
9. I smoked cigs for about 15 yrs before switching to cigars and then for some reason picked up a pipe. Man I wish I'd found a pipe 15 yrs ago. I fell in love with the pipe and everything associated with it.
10. I want to try my hand at pipe making. I've been told that I'm a creative person and that I have talented hands. So I'm desperately trying to get things straightened out so I can pursue my dream.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
petemcb

Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: me-   Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:30 pm

1. I was born in Chicago. Lived in the Chicagoland for 35 yrs. Been here in Mesa for 2. We love the change of scenery and the little things- like discovering peanut butter can liquefy in the less than 3 mile trip from the grocery store during the summer.

2. I am usually shy and quiet at first, but warm up fast. -The wife and daughter just told me "once you get warmed up, you never shut up."

3. I dont watch tv. We have 3 in the house, but we never watch them. When I called the cable company to have it cancelled, the operator asked if I was serious- and I said "Yes, please cancel the cable and leave the internet on", next she asked me, "how on earth do you live?"

4. I love to read/ learn. -answer to the above-.

5. I just earned my Bachelors Degree.

6. I have a perfect driving record, not a speeding ticket or an accident. - Seriously, I normally set the cruise control no more than 5 above the posted limit.

7. All my briars are Peterson.

8. I like Mac Baren tobaccos.

9. I plan on pursuing a Masters Degree.

10. I am a proud parent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadrack

Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:52 pm

1. I've smoked pipes since I was 18.

2. Until recently I smoked only house blends available from my local tobacconist save for a tin of Dunhill here and there. Ordering and discovering new tobaccos online has increased my enjoyment and expense exponentially. Very Happy

3. I collect authentically reproduced medieval weaponry, knives, and antiques. Maces, axes, and flails are prominently displayed on the living room walls much to the chagrin of my girlfriend.

4. I have enjoyed video games, especially RPG's, since the days when they were text based only.

5. I like to hike mountains in the Adirondacks and will complete all 46 high peaks some day.

6. I brew my own mead which is way more powerful than what you can buy in the stores. Twisted Evil

7. I own and enjoy shooting guns. I also hunt and fish throughout the year.

8. I have been a craft beer snob since before I was legally old enough to drink it. Wink

9. I have a Master's in Information Management from Syracuse University and work there as a financial systems analyst.

10.I love smoking all manner of tasty meats in my Weber smoker. pig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benton

Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: ten random facts   Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:56 pm

This is a great thread, very interesting.

1. I've lost my pipe and tobacco collection twice, once in a move and once in a fire.
2. I was a C student in high school and a B student in college, but still earned a PhD from the top school in the country in my field.
3. I teach at a university because it is as close as I can get to being in school forever.
4. I've never owned a new car and probably never will.
5. When one of my students asked me if I would help him build a nuclear fusion reactor I interupted him in mid-sentence to say yes.
6. My wife and I are almost complete opposites in almost every way except two -- we're both frugal and agnostic.
7. I once served squirrel pate to dinner guests without telling them what it was.
8. My daughter started to pout about 10 seconds after she was born and I've been wrapped around her finger ever since.
9. I've worked at five different national laboratories, including one in Hungary.
10. A recent personality/aptitude test told me that I should consider being either a dictator or a fighter pilot. I'm colorblind, so fighter pilot is out . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey Joe

Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 pm

1- I'm originally from Dothan, Alabama. My family moved to Georgia in 71' after my Grandpa passed and pretty much been here since.

2- I was a fat boy with a bad attitude in my teen years. I did some stupid stuff in those days-drag racing, smoking pot, fighting, etc

3- At 17, I met my high school sweetheart and she changed my life. We got married 4 years later and this gal made an honest man out of me. We have 2 sons and 4 grand children

4- I didn't go to College and don't regret it. I chose to learn a few trades and earn money doing things I enjoy. I do regret not joining the Military. Most of the men in my family served in the Military and a few of them ran moonshine. I come from Confederate stock and I'm proud of it.

5- I like things of old- History, Vintage Motorcycles, hot rods, Antique Machinery and Antique Firearms just to name a few

6- I listen to Classic Country, Classic Rock, 1940's Big Band, Doo-Wop and some Jazz

7- Don't watch much TV, but I'm a Classic movie buff. I have an old 8mm Bell & Howell projector (I don't like to watch classics on a DVD)

8- I'm a very private person, I have a small circle of friends that I've known most of my life, I enjoy Traveling, Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Biker Rally's. The hard part is finding the time to do these things.

9- I love country living. The city life is not for me (I lived and worked in Atlanta in the 80's and hated it)

10- Last but not least I enjoy smoking pipes and drinking alcohol, in moderation of course

santa santa rendeer rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickf28

Registration date : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:58 am

10. Grew up a military brat...so im not from anywhere
9. Did 8 years in the Marine Corps and am now in Iraq as civilian
8. I am a Heavy Truck mechanic
7. I love cars and motorcycles...the faster the better
6. I like Heavy Metal Music....
5. Im 37 years old...and bald
4. Fishing is one of my favorite things to do...(yes I do slow down sometimes)
3. I am new to the pipe...Im so glad that I tried this hobbie....I love it
2. Im 6 ft tall 240lbs
1. I am engaged to a great women who I will be married to in about a year...(as soon as im done in Iraq.

Rick is my name
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 am

bumped
Back to top Go down
View user profile

10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: