HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:09 am

1. I started smoking cigarettes when I was 13, and switched to pipes in my 30ís. I love pipes and pipe smoking, but find more enjoyment in a bowl of Carter Hall in a Kaywoodie than I would with some fancy tinned tobacco in a $500 hand made pipe.

2. Growing up, my dad was a railroad man, mom was a home maker, and I had a younger brother. My brother died when he was 26; dad died at 60. I look after my mom these days.

3. My dadís generation was the first of our family to have any higher education or a job outside of farming. I lived on my grandparents farm back in the hills for several years after they passed (even though I never farmed for a living).

4. Today is actually my 38th birthday.

5. My degree is in communications electronics, but I make my living as a bookkeeper. I used to own a TV and appliance store (back in the days when people had their TV sets repaired). I still enjoy repairing and collecting vintage radios.

6. I used to own half interest in a motel (the best investment I ever made).

7. I am a very active Episcopalian. I helped begin a new parish, which is now the fastest growing church in the Diocese. Our building used to be a Methodist Church (where three generations of my family went). I have been an organist since I was 18.

8. I am a long-time member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, and am a former president of the East TN region. I love antique cars, and have owned more than I can count (or remember). I am down to only one antique car in my garage right now (thatís subject to change if anybody has a good price on a Model A Ford)

9. I have always dabbled in buying and selling cars (mostly antique). The best paying (and most fun) job I ever had was running a used car lot for a guy who was in his seventies and had spent his whole life in the car business.

10. Those who know me usually tell me Iím an ďold soulĒ. I always thought I should have been born at least a generation earlier. Iím one of the few guys my age who own spectator shoes and usually wear a hat.
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Hey SP, thanks for the bump, I had never found this thread before.

Nobody tell my wife that I am "sharing", OK?

1. Born and grew up in Ontario, Canada. Grandfather was an American citizen which caused me to want to live in the USA which we have now for 15 years. Hopefully will become naturalized citizen within the next few months.
2. Been a geek all my life, yearbook photog, science fair, computers, etc. Still love anything mechanical or technological which leads to too many hobbies.
3. Was an honors student but never went to college until well after high school. My uncle got me a job doing labor at an agricultural research station which launched my eventual education and career in agriculture which I have now been in for over 30 years. Was the 2nd person to ever graduate from my ag college program with a perfect 4.0 gpa.
4 Mid-career I left to start and run a computer business for 5 years (left due to partnership vs friendship issues). Learned to do programing and hardware which I now combine with my agricultural career providing satellite imagery services to farmers to help manage their crops (like Google Earth on steroids).
5. Met my wife (farm girl) in college and been married for 31 years this June. Raised 3 boys. One has returned to Canada, one climbing the corporate ladder living in the middle east, one looking for himself still here at home. Got one grandson with another on the way.
6. Wife and I are both loners, few friends mostly work related, like to stay home or go out just the 2 of us. Bought land out in the middle of nowhere last year and are working to build our retirement place. Hunting, gardening on our own land and fishing just down the road.
7. First started smoking (a pipe) when I was about 15, smoked cigs, then cigars with pipe on and off. Been pretty much exclusive pipes for past 5 years with occasional cigars.
8. Enjoy classic rock and blues, tolerate the wife's country. Played guitar (mostly poorly) since a teenager.
9. Early in our marriage my wife was told that alcohol was bad for a medical condition she had so we quit drinking for 25 years. Three years ago she was told that was a pile of dooky so have been catching up ever since. Not really but do enjoy a (real) Budweiser or Maker's Mark on the rocks.
10. Been a conservative all my life, leaning more to libertarian these days. Don't like either party currently in Washington. Watch O'Reilly every night, like Beck but in small doses. Palin still has me confused (aka worried).

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:22 pm

1) I had two outfits that I wore all throughout high school. Outfit 1 - Cowboy boots, cowboy hat, jeans, a jean jacket. Outfit 2 - Snake boots, jeans, leather trench coat and black sweater. For some reason, people were scared of me. I don't wear those things anymore, however i still have the cowboy boots and snake boots in a closet somewhere.

2) I dropped out of high school during my second sophomore year, then went back a year or two later and got my diploma in a few months through an alternative school for bad kids, then went to college where I took a few graduate level philosophy courses through an adult continuing education program, then got bored and droped out with a 3.97 gpa.

3) Prior to my current job, the longest I stayed at any job was 3 months. I have been at my current job for 10 years.

4) My record for shortest term of employment at a job was 6 hours at a chinese restaurant.

5) I am a blue belt in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.

6) My brother is a semi-pro MMA fighter and a black belt in BJJ.

7) My dad was one of 16 children. His parents died in their early to mid 50's, I never knew them.

Cool My mother likes to tell a story about when I was born. The story goes that when I came out, the doctor held me up and said to my mother, "You have a handsome baby boy!". Then I promptly proceeded to pee in the doctor's face.

9) I have only owned one vehicle in my entire life up to this point, a black Jeep Wrangler bought new in 2002. I doubt I will ever drive anything else willingly.

10) I have somone else's anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee due to a Jiu Jitsu injury. That person is dead and doesn't miss it. Yes...this makes me part zombie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the macdonald

Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:14 pm

1.I started smoking a pipe to cover up tobacco-like smoking activities in college for my friendsÖreally, and as sort of a joke, the pipe stuck, but the friends are gone.
2.I love music of all sorts, from classical to free form jazz, bluegrass to space age bachelor pad lounge.
3.After three years of marriage, I still am shocked I am married.
4.I started drinking Scotch because of a women, then another.
5. I stopped drinking scotch in bars because I was tired of being lectured by scotch experts.
6.My dream job is a Secret Agent with a cover of international playboy/European LOLA (also my wifeís name) class racecar driver.
7. I am the current Master of the local Lodge of the oldest and most powerful (although I am not sure by which measure on the powerful tag, the local mayor does not return my calls) secret society in the world.
8. I have learned that drinking extra dry gin martinis, and not falling off the barstool, earns the respect of a good bartender.
9.I am the first male in my family to not fight in a war scenes anyone recorded family history.
10.I used to ride up to Canada with another girlfriend who loved to drive because she was a Deadhead in the 90ís, by all the Cuban cigars I could afford and sell them for a significant profit. I was the Cosmo Kramer of my area for a little while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:07 am

hello all

1. I am a Army Brat in a way my father was killed in Vietnam when I was 4 a few years latter my mother remarried another soldier who was just retired. When I turned 18 I joined the Army Airborne Infantry servered a little over 20 years. Served in two wars and never got a scratch on me how lucky am I?

2. I been married 4 times, finally found the true love of my life we been together now for 10 years, between the both of us we have 6 kids, my wife has two boys,I have three girls and a son all we need now is Alice the house keeper

3. I love to read, (W.E.B Griffin novals) and old black and white movies.

4. I am a contractor in Iraq now and believe it or not, the money is good but I didnt come here for that reason.

5. I love all my pipes and would never dream of selling any of them, I can remember every deatil of when I got it, who was with me, I even have pipes I smoke when I am in a good mood or the ones that help me get through a certian problem.

6. I love golf but haven't played in many years and when I did I was bad to say the least.

7. Old Country music like the possum, the Hagg, Man in Black. Red headed stranger, is my kind of music if you dont know them then you dont know country.

8. If you are a enemy to my country I would like nothing more than to track you down and club you like a baby seal.

9. I make pipes some love them some don't but I still love making them.

10. I wrote two books never meant to make money off either one I wrote my love my pipe as a way to pass time and humor my friends when I was in Iraq the first time, Then I wrote Reflexions which I wrote in case I was killed over here so my kidds when they were old enough to see I wasn't the SOB their mother told them I was
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:40 am

Thank you for your service, your love of our great nation and your passion for pipes Richard! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
phillpsych

Registration date : 2010-01-24

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 am

I should have started reading this at the start, it took a while to get to the end of page 6, but it was really worth it, because you guys are a very interesting bunch.

10. Military vet, and proud to have served my country.

9. 14 years clean and sober.

8. Pipe smoker since the age of 16, but was on cigs and cigars for years. Now exclusively on pipes, and just starting to get into collecting. I have dabbled but never serious about it. This forum, BoB, has turned me into an obsessive. (Well, that's not BoB fault, is it?)

7. I'm a psychotherapist in private practice, and that after a long string of trying to figure out who I was and where I fit. (Isn't that what we are all utimately trying to find... peace of mind, and a place to belong?)

6. I'm an ex-Jesuit.

5. On my second marriage, and this one stuck. My wife likes pipes WAY better than cigars, and doesn't mind that my coats usually smell like I've been standing next to a campfire, but WILL NOT let me smoke in the house. And I have a 20 year old son who recently went with me to Iwan Ries, and bought himself a corncob and puffed a bowl with me. (That was great!)

4. I recently lost my two cats to FeLV. It was very sad to watch them go. We are currently without pets, and not used to it. We will get two kittens soon.

3. I am searching for the perfect bulk tobacco to lay-in, because I am truly worried that it will become too expensive to buy. This is a time consuming process, since I enjoy smoking so many different kinds of tobacco.

2. I love fishing, golfing and camping. If only someone would invent a pipe holder for a golf cart, then life would be perfect.

1. I truly appreciate being a part of this community, and really enjoy the comments and ideas you guys put forth. I'm not a big fan of some of the politics, so you will never learn what mine are... because with my pipe smoking friends, I like to keep it just that: friendly... so... we smoke, talk about pipes, women, kids, stupid criminals, bad movies, food, growing older, and other things that really are about taste, not matters of life and death. I will talk to you about religion or spirituality, but not on a public forum...

Thanks fella's...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

<bumped>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 pm

I've managed to avoid this thread until now... Might as well try...

10. I am extreme in my opinions. I am either 100% for something or 100% against something... I see the world as black and white with no grey.

9. My father left when I was two, my mother quit Nursing when I was in 3rd grade.. I grew up on welfare.

8. I am an extreme sociaphobe

7. I love guns, I hate killing things.

6. I am a computer junkie.. I used to build them until I figured out it was more fun to just play on them all day.. Video Games and the Internet are my down fall.

5. I am a Ham Radio Op. I used to enjoy running a mobile radio, nothing passes the day like talking to folk over seas.

4. I like women with some meat on their bones, pencil women look like little boys to me and I can't see what the attraction is.. Gimmie curves.

3. Pre-Internet I used to read encyclopedias for fun.

2. I have a daughter that hates me and has refused to talk to me for two years.

1. I have been to every state but Hawaii and Alaska. I've been to two Canadian provences, three Mexican states, several bahama islands, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, Cuba, Guatamala,Honduras,Argentina,Nicaruaga, Panama, Spain,Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, England, and flew over plenty more I'm sure.. And yet there's no place in the world like Kentucky..

And a +1

+1. I think stuff like this is corny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cutshot

Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:11 am

1. I smoked a pipe for the first time in 1983 but for just a few short months
2. I have been a casual smoker/collector since 1996
3. I have been married and faithful to my sweetheart for 27 years
4. I have 2 lovely daughters and 3 wonderful grandchildren
5. I have been in commission sales my entire adult life
6. I strive to live a life of faith in Christ
7. I am emotionally attached to "most" of my pipes, the others I'm working on
8. I work out 4-5 times per week lifting weights and doing cardio
9. I am a passionate bowhunter and no I don't want to kill Bambi Very Happy
10. I am politically conservative and still believe in the free market and free enterprise system..God Bless America!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:24 pm

1. Born and live in Pretoria, South Africa.
2. Started smoking cigarettes when I was 14 and never looked back.
3. I hold 3 national medals for Olympic re curve archery and qualified for for world masters games in Sidney 2008.
4. I have a Honours and Masters degree cum laude in Fine art and lecture at the university of Pretoria.
5. I am a painter by trade and a well established South African artist.
6. I am addicted to coffee and coca-cola.
7. Lance Armstrong is my Hero.
8. I love fishing and Hunting especially with Fly rods and Bows.
9. I am married to the pretties woman in the world named Leonie and have a 4 year old son named Xavier.
10. I love WALNUT! Smile
Back to top Go down
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Very cool... we have quite a group here.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
PegLegEd

Registration date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:15 pm

1. Born and live in Ga. USA
2. Started smoking cigarettes when I was 12 and never looked back.
3. I practiced nursing for 14 years got tired of wiping butts started driving a Large car and did that for 14 years. Retired now. Result of Dr. Peglegging me on the left side.
4. I am a avid gardener try to grow anything where ever I can plant it.
5. I can take anything apart but can't put anything back together again.
6. I am addicted to coffee and Mountain Dew.
7. My Father is my Hero.
8. I love fishing and Hunting especially with Cane poles and 30-06s love to eat Bambie.
9. I was married for six of the 14 years I drove the truck. She had 3 children by a previous marriage. The truck is why I'm not married now. You Know the saying Daddies Trucking-Mammas F______ing
10. I love WALNUT!
11. jocolor
Ed
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:55 am

Nice one ED!
Especially no.4
That's where those 'green fingers, come from and the passion the'tree of Knowledge' aka the beautiful weed! lol!
P.S. the 30-06 is the one and only hand cannon..... we call it the "holy rifle'....... it shoots 'huge frikin holies'
Did you get my PM?
Back to top Go down
Rugbysh9

Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:54 am

May as well give up some info on myself too!

1. I was a complete screw up until I got thrown out of my 1st college and got my act together
2. I don't consider myself to have many "friends", but those I do consider my firends I would do anything for
3. Duck hunting & flyfishing are my 2 favorite past times
4. The only reason I quit playing rugby is my wife begged me
5. I have no computer skills outside of Microsoft Excel
6. I have an addiciton to McDonald's Sweet & Sour sauce
7. I want to move back down south as the cost of living in the northeast is just rediculous
8. I too love Walnut
9. I refuse to talk to any Red Sox fan once the playoffs start - Go Yanks!
10. I'd rather be in cargo pants and boots instead of a suit and tie

Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*   Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Nice one Andrew!
Welcome to our WALNUT CLUB! Laughing
Back to top Go down

10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4