HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Buying a New Computer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Buying a New Computer   Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:05 pm

I saw this one in Costco today...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-TouchSmart-IQ815-2.16GHz-640GB-HD-25.5%22-LCD-Computer_W0QQitemZ220353756083QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090131?IMSfp=TL090131114001r27944

It's an HP Touch IQ815... any thoughts???

It don't show on the Costco website, but this one is on eBay... About the same price up here in only in Canuk $$$
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:13 pm

SP some questions first. What was the Costco price cause the e-bay price is pretty insane IMHO. The touch screen idea is nice, but gimiky IMHO unless it somehow really meets your needs. I suspect there is little in the way of long term 'studies' or time on the market to test how well the touch screen even works.

I try to stay away from computers in which all the components (video, sound, NIC, etc) are integrated, as when one component (video card) fails, there are fewer options other than replacing the MB. I'm kind of 'old skool' when it comes to computers, I prefer MB and 'expansion cards', when one product fails they are easier (and less costly) to replace.

I'm sure there are exceptions and some will doubtless express some here, but in my limited experience MS Vista is a miserable operating system. MS 7 is due out soon, as various ways to control the market and repackage Vista has largely failed for Microsoft.

All that said, if it suits your needs and the price is right, go for it cheers

Last edited by kilted1 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 pm

I've messed with these and they are kind of cool as far as being different. As far as owning one, I wouldn't. The touch software is proprietary to HP and if you have problems with it, getting it fixed my be a pain. You may also run into problems with software as well. The other thing is, you don't need to touch your computer screen. It's bad enough you have to take your hands off the keyboard to use your mouse.

Just my 2 cents.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 pm

The Canuk price is $1,999... it has no "tower" and the sales clerk said it's got about much power as a laptop.

He recommended this one that just arrived... said its got newer processor, power... and cheaper

http://computershopper.com/desktops/product-profile/gateway-fx6800-01e

What I liked about the Touch one was "no tower" , 24" screen, and tv video card,... I could watch Jay Leno and play solitaire Shocked Shocked ...

This year, one year only, the Canuk federal government is allowing 100 % tax deduction on computers for small businesses... so I got until the end of December... part of the Canuk financial stimulus package...

Last edited by Slow Puffs on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 pm

For $1200 you can get a Mac, a computer that simply works and works always, with no issues. Unless of course you're a glutton for punishment, then go ahead an buy a PC Exclamation

kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:12 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
For $1200 you can get a Mac, a computer that simply works and works always, with no issues. Unless of course you're a glutton for punishment, then go ahead an buy a PC Exclamation

I tend to agree, when one considers reliability the I-mac (if that's what they are currently called) provide just about the same features sans touch screen and have been around long enough to be 'de-bugged'. Video cards with the video out option are abundant and tried and true technologies, and have been around for probably 8 years. Mac's have had 24 inch (and larger) screens for at least 5 years also. The Mac OS is now based on a flavor of BSD Unix making them ROCK SOLID in stability and memory management and are much harder to exploit or infect with virii and spyware.

But IF the 'HP toy' Cool trips your trigger, go for it Laughing I'm assuming you will utilize the Canuk 'stimulus package' creatively cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 pm

And if you miss the PC experience, you can always partition your Mac to run Windows with BootCamp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm

kilted1 wrote:
I tend to agree, when one considers reliability the I-mac
I have owned 2 family computers in the last dozen years, both iMacs (there was an iBook laptop bought years ago too, but I never let anyone touch that). Bought the first iMac in 1996 and it ran until 2 years ago when I replaced it with the new generation iMac. I only replaced it because technology had gotten away from the old iMac, it had a 466 mhz processor and 6 gigs of HD - it was a dinosaur and couldn't keep up with what modern technology was requiring to operate in the world wide web. You can't fault it for that, it was the new technology when I bought it in 95 and still ran fine when I replaced it, it just didn't have what it took to perform anymore. 11 years, 3 kids beatin the hell out of it, still worked. The new one was $1200, built in DVD/cd drive, high speed processor, 80 gig HD, everything built in to the screen unit, preloaded with tons of software, all the bells and whistles. All I had to do was plug the keyboard and mouse in and turn the power switch on, computer's done setting up Very Happy In 13 years I've never had to have anyone work on either machine, never had a crash, never had a software conflict because everything made for Mac works with everything else made for Mac. They work, they're bullet proof, they're easy as hell to use. You couldn't get a better return on your money than a Mac.

Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:22 am

My Garmin M4, a small hand held uses a stylus with the touch screen however I don't think I'd enjoy a large touch screen PC. A continuously sore shoulder seems to be in order.

As for the Vista operating system, it really sucks and has given me much grief and headaches for the last two months. I still haven't gotten my email archive transferred, many older programs won't work (especially those in competition with Microsoft), there is little choice of themes, backgrounds, and mouse pointer options, even programs that came on this new HP don't work correctly. There's a program built in that's supposed to solve problems by reporting directly to HP or Microsoft and provide a solution. Out of the 31 problems reported there have been no solutions provided.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:33 am

Go to Best Buy or Future Shop, and let them give you the run down, then go buy at Costco where it's cheaper! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:55 am

Another vote for Mac.

I've owned 3 Mac machines in the past 10 years (my current is the Mac Pro desktop, and trust me, it is a monster). I swear by them and have converted several of my close family and friends to using them, all of which were PC users prior and swear they will never go back to a PC again.

Go to an Apple store, play with the machines, ask tons of questions. If you are going to spend $1,200, go with a Mac.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks for the responses Very Happy . This is/will be, for me, an experience much like buying a high end pipe. It's as close as I can get to feeling like Dock Laughing .

I don't need a computer. It's what I want. I want mostly that tax write-off for my business. It's one of the few areas that I can claim a deduction like this.

I use my computer mainly as a word processor. Very little gaming. But I also have an internet subscription to MLB tv for baeeball games Very Happy . Sports sites, pipe related sites, news sites. YouTube is fun, etc...

My son-in-law works in computers setting up and maintaining computers for an oil industry firm. He never loads Vista but uses XP. He services my computer when there are problems. And often he offers to build me one. But I am looking, not to cut costs, but have a legitimate purchase receipt for the computer

I have years of important files and records. I am otherwise a computer dummy. I am so used to Windows and it's quirks that something simpler may bewilder me Rolling Eyes .

I am just surprised at the prices. Those basic Tandies without a hard drive and the DOS used to be about $1,000.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Number 6

Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:06 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Agreed. I work in IT, and deal with Windows issues all the time. I can not emphasize enough that there are better alternatives than Windows. Linux is best for me, but it's impossible to go wrong with a Mac.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Number 6

Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Quick clarification: I own a Linux laptop and a Mac iBook g4. Linux works best for what I do, and is the OS I am most comfortable with. But I absolutely love my Mac. In terms of both software and hardware, it's nearly perfect. IOW, get thee to a Mac store!
I've converted a few people to Linux, and that transition is often a little rough. (I've answered more than one late night phone call from new Linux users.) I've also convinced several people to give Macs a try. No phone calls there, and no regrets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Number 6 wrote:
Quick clarification: I own a Linux laptop and a Mac iBook g4. Linux works best for what I do, and is the OS I am most comfortable with. But I absolutely love my Mac. In terms of both software and hardware, it's nearly perfect. IOW, get thee to a Mac store!
I've converted a few people to Linux, and that transition is often a little rough. (I've answered more than one late night phone call from new Linux users.) I've also convinced several people to give Macs a try. No phone calls there, and no regrets.

Linux has come a very long way from my introduction RedHat 2.x days. Linux is flexible to the point of ridiculous with so many distros and window managers and desktop versions, choosing one alone might intimidate the average M$ Windows user. I use Mandriva, Ubunatu, LinuxMint and PC-BSD (based upon Free BSD) still trying to find the distro which meets all my needs/desires.

Though in general, Linux and now BSD based 'unix' for PC's is pretty much plug and play these days, there IS a definite 'learning curve' which varies on the distro for basic things especially when 'updating' or installing basic everyday things done effortlessly in M$ Windows. I very often set up a large hard drive (60 gig or larger) to dual boot M$ Windows and 1 or 2 Linux versions.

Mac's on the other hand IMHO just WORK! I've never owned one of my own, but I've had occasion to use them and work on them. They are absolutely the best value going! Small learning curve as they don't work quite like M$ Windows either (they actually work better here as well) it's just 'different'. The ONLY drawback for me is that the Mac I want is about $3000.00 (cause I'd want all the toys). I think for $1800 you could get a very nice Mac though and avoid many potential problems with the HP toy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Gosh! So many Mac users on this board. I'm impressed!

I can't say anymore about the true value of Mac's that hasn't been
said already.

But if you have masochistic tendencies buy pc you'll be better served. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:57 pm

I just ordered a new PC from www.avadirect.com. Count me in the minority here among people who prefer PCs to Macs, but then again I actually like to do a lot of stuff with my PC. : ) Sometime it involves making money, or using software or hardware not sold by Steve Jobs. Heck, I even like to upgrade parts now and then.

My buddy (also a computer guy, like me), just bought a Shuttle PC loaded with Ubuntu linux. Linux is the opposite of Mac - it gives you a ton of flexibility in nearly every possible aspect of your computing experience. Good stuff, and the new Ubuntu GUIs are really great. Of course it's still not as easy as a Mac or PC when you come across problems. And it's a different set of software than what you're used to if you've used a PC.

But if you are looking to surf the web, load up your iPod, update Facebook, and watch TV, I suppose a Mac, touchscreen HP, Ubuntu PC, or anything else that's called a computer could get it done. Go with what you like, but I'd advise that you go to a store and try out any OS that you haven't used before just to make sure you like it.

I use linux (Red Hat) for work, along with Windows. For my new home computer it wasn't even a choice - Windows for me. I also like to do some casual gaming too. PCs are way better for popular games than linux or Mac.

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:57 pm

You guys are way, way over my head Shocked ... I'm like below "cob" level on this computer technology. But I do know how to run the defragmentation program, that is, when I can find it... Rolling Eyes ...

If something goes wrong, at least I can call my son-in-law to come over and fix it... but he scares me, he always says as he stares me down "Now I've told you once and I'll tell you again... stop playing with the wires attached to the tower"

affraid affraid pale pale What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
You guys are way, way over my head Shocked ... I'm like below "cob" level on this computer technology. But I do know how to run the defragmentation program, that is, when I can find it... Rolling Eyes ...

If something goes wrong, at least I can call my son-in-law to come over and fix it... but he scares me, he always says as he stares me down "Now I've told you once and I'll tell you again... stop playing with the wires attached to the tower"

affraid affraid pale pale What a Face What a Face

I found the perfect solution for you buddy! Don't EVER say your friends don't CARE: lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:18 pm

cheers Laughing Laughing cheers Hmmm... How come there are two buttons???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
cheers Laughing Laughing cheers Hmmm... How come there are two buttons???

That's a highly advanced hardware feature, horizontal and vertical controls, please read the manual or call 'Help Desk'

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT

Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Buying a New Computer   Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
Hmmm... How come there are two buttons???

Same as women... one for each hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Buying a New Computer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: