HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Yep, the Police Were at the B&M

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:45 pm

It's getting tighter in Canada.

Yesterday, I was at a B&M and a police officer was there going over the paper work of the B&M... this place likely had less than 50 pipes Rolling Eyes plus a cigar section.

Today, I went to Costco, and they had a separate section outside the main Costco for Tobacco sales... and of course, it is illegal for a store to display Tobacco products...

Wow... it is getting ridiculous... but it is coming your way... not just outrageous taxes... but even the "sight" of tobacco will be outlawed... like here.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:56 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:

Wow... it is getting ridiculous... but it is coming your way... not just outrageous taxes... but even the "sight" of tobacco will be outlawed... like here.......

Have they edited the cigarettes out of Bogart's lips yet? Mad

I am comforted by the fact that they 'know what's good for me' as I get older my skills to keep that sorted are diminishing. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Actually Kilted, this is a broad sweep against tobacco users... there is a determined anti-tobacco lobby... ie willl lessen tobacco illness costs with medi-care...Stock up... it's coming to an end... really...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:21 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
Actually Kilted, this is a broad sweep against tobacco users... there is a determined anti-tobacco lobby... ie willl lessen tobacco illness costs with medi-care...Stock up... it's coming to an end... really...

I know it is SP, no joke at all. I'm in a southern climate, so I can grow it, but I can't discuss it -- I'll leave some for ya under that tree stump on the left over Arrow Wink

Tobacco outlaws will win the day!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Well. the Law in Canada is that tobbaco products cannot be even seen. You go to a store front and name the tobacco you want to purchase, Any Pharmacy now cannot sell tobacco, No more "drug store blends". Any grocery store chain that has a pharmacy cannot sell tobacco.

Welcome to the real world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Puffs, which store was it?

I hope it wasn't Burlington's, they've had enough sh*t with the police in the last couple of years... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:58 pm

This was a B&M of the north end. 82 street.

Chris is defiant but was threatened with a revocation of his Tobacco license to sell, as I recall. (My wife has banned me from Burlington's... spent too much money). Burlington's is the place to go for tobacco & pipes. But I am banned via wife Embarassed

Stand alone B&M are somewhat "safe" but the attack is on Pharmacies and Groceries stores... still they are putting pressure and harrassing the local B&M Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pseudo Nim

Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:09 am

[/quote]

Have they edited the cigarettes out of Bogart's lips yet? Mad

:/quote]

In the film "The Dambusters" they later dubbed the name of Sqn Ldr Guy Gibsons dog (a Black Lab) as "Digger" instead of "Nigger"

In England, "Nigger" was a colour, ie in "Nigger Black", in the 60's, when it started to become rather "un-PC" some bright spark suggested "Ivory Black", as a joke, Ivory of course being a shade of white, and guess what, the PC's went for it. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I've been saying it for a decade now! Tobacco will be all but illegal in the next 10 years! Truly smart pipesmokers aren't buying expensive pipes as it seems they'll be plenty of these around in the years to come. Smart pipesmokers are buying tobacco NOW! I've extended my own cellaring budget substantially this year and will continue to do so as long as tobacco is still readilly available. I'm waiting for the day that we all have to go "underground" when the government regulates just how much tobacco we can have in our own homes. I'm almost wondering if I should make my cellar private on tobaccocellar.org? Will it come to this? Will I have to take all of the pics down of my cellar here? I wonder how long it'll be before e-bay stops allowing sellers to sell anything relating to tobacco? Does that really seem out of the realm of reason now????

It's gettin' REAL scary folks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:33 pm

Quote :
Historic downtown tobacconist runs afoul of B.C. signage laws
Jump to full article: Victoria (BC) Times Colonist (ca), 2009-02-07
Author: Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist

Intro:
Rather than bowing to provincial regulations that would force Old Morris Tobacconist owner Rick Arora to remove 90-year-old painted window signs advertising "quality pipes and requisites" and "house blend tobaccos and Havana cigars," the city will apply to the province for a ministerial exception to the rules.

Coun. Pam Madoff, an ardent non-smoker, said the building is unique and exempting the signs would not be setting a precedent.

"I don't think there's going to be a deluge of correspondence from other purpose-built tobacconists dating from the early 1900s asking to retain their signage," said Madoff.

The window signs, which date back to at least 1916, violate the Tobacco Control Act.

The Vancouver Island Health Authority has repeatedly written Arora, telling him they have to be removed or covered up. But the city has refused to issue a heritage alteration permit to remove them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wojtekpastuch

Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:36 pm

I feel really happy about living in a country where I can still smoke my pipe almost everywhere.. but it's only a matter of time. What's going on really scares me. The saddest thing is that there is almost nothing we can do. Usually I don't believe in any conspiracy theories but I think there have to be really many zeros behind the anti-tobacco crusade. I'm really too dumb to understand how exactly all the law-making processes work so don't expect any wise comments from me... I just wish to be able to smoke my baccy in the years to come... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Yep, the Police Were at the B&M   Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
I've been saying it for a decade now! Tobacco will be all but illegal in the next 10 years! Truly smart pipesmokers aren't buying expensive pipes as it seems they'll be plenty of these around in the years to come. Smart pipesmokers are buying tobacco NOW! I've extended my own cellaring budget substantially this year and will continue to do so as long as tobacco is still readilly available. I'm waiting for the day that we all have to go "underground" when the government regulates just how much tobacco we can have in our own homes. I'm almost wondering if I should make my cellar private on tobaccocellar.org? Will it come to this? Will I have to take all of the pics down of my cellar here? I wonder how long it'll be before e-bay stops allowing sellers to sell anything relating to tobacco? Does that really seem out of the realm of reason now????

It's gettin' REAL scary folks!

The social engineers (insurance industry) are creating a perfect utopia making life safer and happier for all of us, flower we should be bowing down and thanking them. Their next project is to make us all think alike (i.e. like them) I think the catch phrase is bipartisanship.
Follow the money.
Back to top Go down

Yep, the Police Were at the B&M
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1