HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

WWSS?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aaron

Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: WWSS?   Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:49 pm

What would Sherlock smoke? We are all well acquainted with the fact that Sherlock Holmes smoked a Victorian shag tobacco. Now in our modern times what would this be the equivalent of? Or rather if Doyal were writing today what do you think Mr. Holmes would be puffing on? And do you think any of the tobaccos that bear his name are worthy of the distinction?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
briarcollector

Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Dark Birdseye might fit the bill. Do the stories mention his tobacco having perique - I can't remember....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:57 pm

This is probably outright hubris, but if Sherlock Holmes were a contemporary detective, I think he'd be smoking unfiltered RYO cigs.

Holmes was on the extreme side of how strong he liked his tobacco, and he smoked a lot (especially when putting his mind to work), but his pipe was just a very usual way to take tobacco. Today, the equivalent usual way would be a cigarette. I only say RYO because of Sherlocks's love of precision, and also because so few unfiltered brands persist. If they were still around, the classic (non-blonde) Gauloises unfiltereds would be right up his alley.

I hate to step on tradition, but the Master Detective tells us that deductive reasoning is above all things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Aaron

Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:32 am

Yes, but, Holmes did smoke cigs and cigars too. But his love for the pipe was unmatched. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:37 pm

I would have to say that he would probably be smoking John Middleton Walnut because it was already world famous during the era that is portrayed in SH. It also has a little shag like consistency. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:22 pm

Justpipes wrote:
I would have to say that he would probably be smoking John Middleton Walnut because it was already world famous during the era that is portrayed in SH. It also has a little shag like consistency. Very Happy

Well I, for one, am completely surprised at your choice !!! lol! ,,,personally,I feel with all the anti smoking laws in effect today he wouldn't be smoking a pipe on the trail of a criminal,,,,,he'd be enjoying some refreshing, invigorating snuff,,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
niles

Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:12 pm

I say, Fie on this muggery! Holmes was a rebel to a fault. Give up smoking? Not likely...

...you can be sure his current pipe would have full gps capabilities, that's for sure...likely a decent built-in digital camera for taking close work back to the lab...

No, did any of you see Iron Man? I think Ole Sherly's lab woulda looked a bit like that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Bumping an extremely old thread;

shag ?
strong ?

why not 5 Brothers??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:23 pm

briarcollector wrote:
Dark Birdseye might fit the bill. Do the stories mention his tobacco having perique - I can't remember....

The stories don't say what the tobbaco was but it was probably a dark fired or stoved virginia shag like G&H Kendal Dark or a dark fired burley like G&H Kentucky with the G&H Kentucky probably the closest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Churchwarden

Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 am

Well, whatever it was, it would probably grow hair on the palms of your hand ... anybody who saved the heels and smoked the heels was a real man! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: WWSS?   Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 pm

whitebriar wrote:
Bumping an extremely old thread;

shag ?
strong ?

why not 5 Brothers??

He'd smoke whatever was the strongest/cheapest/fastest smoking he could find!

Watson started off smoking 'ship's' (rope), but if I remember correctly went towards milder blends later on
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

WWSS?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: 221B Baker St.-
Jump to: