HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?   Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:56 pm

What's up, fellow pipesters! Well, as we all know, Dunhill tobaccos are no longer available. I have been scurrying to acquire several blends, namely EMP and Nightcap. I have never tried 965 or Royal Yacht, but managed to procure two tins of each via telephone calls to B&M's (they were already out of Nightcap and EMP). My question is this: a guy at one of these B&M's said, that in his opinion, it would not be long before Dunhill pipes followed suit! As in no more Dunhill pipes, at all, ever again! Has anyone heard this rumor or know anything regarding this? Thanks in advance, fellow brethren!

Best Regards,

TB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?   Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm

rumors are a great way to get rid of excess inventory. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?   Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:51 pm

Max Engel from pipe2smoke included this paragraph in a recent newsletter.
Dunhill News well David Webb is going to retire this year. He is the man who runs the Dunhill pipe factory. In the UK, there is much conjecture as to whether Dunhill continue making pipes after his retirement. The pipes contribute only 1% of Dunhills revenues and David Webb fought to keep it going many times. It is very possible that Dunhill may just close it down after he retires. This year will tell all.
I think this is the reason for the recent rumors. Who knows
Regarding Dunhill Pipe tobacco, as far as I know Orlik is making a few of the mixtures but they are not being imported into the US. Why? I have no idea. Orlik and BAT import other products in to the US so I would think that insulating themselves from tobacco litigation isn't the reason. This is a very good article explaining the Richemont/Dunhill (pipes) and BAT/Orlik (tobacco) situation. http://pipelore.net/index.php?id=123 Shocked

Last edited by daveinlax on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?   Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Nothing to see here, folks... move along. Very Happy

(Dunhill has been downsizing its pipe operations for the past 50 years. Every new tweak starts new rumors.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?   Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Is Colin Fromm still the master pipe maker/cutter at DH? Question

And....since DH isn't making anymore pipes from the 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, or 60's; it doesn't mean a thing to me if they cease production or not! I'd rather have a Tinsky, Davis, Wiley, Brissett, etc. any day cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?   Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 am

ftrplt wrote:
I'd rather have a Tinsky, Davis, Wiley, Brissett, etc. any day cheers FTRPLT
Amen!
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?   Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 am

I own one Dunhill and it is from the 70's. The newer ones that I have seen first hand are not worth the money in my opinion so if I ever do by another one it will be an earlier pipe anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?   Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Dunhill tobacco and dunhill pipes, luxury goods, ect. are two seperate companies and have been for a very long time. Dunhill tobacco itself has nothing to do with Alfred Dunhill Ltd. As most know, after Murray's & Sons closed it's doors Orlik began producing the blends in Denmark. The perception of the tobaccos quality fell out of favor and sales dropped. It's been a very long time since I've actually smoked any of the Murray's made stuff or the Orlik made either. As I recall the Nightcap faired the poorest lacking the latakia bomb that it's predesesor had.

If the pipe manufacturing end of Alfred Dunhill Ltd closed it's doors I wouldn't be very surprised at all. I think that they've been producing sub par wood for many years and surviving merely on the reputation of their earlier pipes. If they do close up shop however it would have NOTHING what so ever to do with the Dunhill tobaccos "swan song" though....
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry

Dunhill Pipe Production -- An Endangered Species?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: