HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

It must be getting to be spring time

Go down 
AuthorMessage
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

It must be getting to be spring time Empty
PostSubject: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Cause I gots me a cravin for a dry Martini.
Boodles, Noilly pratt 6 to 1. three queen olives please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm

paddy-boy wrote:
Cause I gots me a cravin for a dry Martini.
Boodles, Noilly pratt 6 to 1. three queen olives please.

Bravo! One olive or three. Never two!

I prefer three. Traditionally, the olive should be eaten before the drink is drunk. I happen to really like the olive steeped in the martini for a while, so three is the right number. One to eat, according to tradition, to whet the whistle, one as a mid-cocktail snack, and a third to stew until the drink is done, and to tide me over whilst I wait for the second round to chill. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 6:48 pm

Three for me Very Happy And keep stocking up on the Noilly Prat cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 7:14 pm

SWMBO just mentioned that now that the daffodils and crocuses are up everywhere and the days are getting longer and warmer, it must be getting close to Gin & Tonic season, (our traditional summer drink). Interesting that our libations, like our tobaccos, seem to have seasonal preferences.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 9:58 pm

My wife has been enjoying dry martinis as of late. When I make myself a Manhattan I fix her a Sky martini with 3 queen greens, served 'Up'. The last jar of olives I got at BevMo claims to be jarred in vermouth, they may be, but they just taste like good martini olives to me. I always manage to sneak and munch on one while I'm mixing drinks Cool

paddy-boy

paddy-boy

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 9:52 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
My wife has been enjoying dry martinis as of late. When I make myself a Manhattan I fix her a Sky martini with 3 queen greens, served 'Up'. The last jar of olives I got at BevMo claims to be jarred in vermouth, they may be, but they just taste like good martini olives to me. I always manage to sneak and munch on one while I'm mixing drinks Cool
PD
I must humbly disagree.
A martini is made with Gin not Vodka.
Unless there is a Skyy Gin I don't know about. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benjamin Button

Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 11:27 am

You guys are making me thirsty...and at 10 am on a Thursday at my desk, that is not a good thing!

I am longing for the Spring air to start rolling in. The nights are slightly bitter, but the air is moist from the thaw and the warmth from the days sun lingers a little longer with each day. Kicking back on the porch and listening to life start popping up from beneath the frozen ground, a carefully chilled martini in hand, and the perfectly clear sky overhead that shouts "tomorrow will be a good day".

Yes. Now I am really thirsty and anxious for Spring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 12:38 pm

Benjamin Button wrote:
You guys are making me thirsty...and at 10 am on a Thursday at my desk, that is not a good thing!

Aw, c'mon. That's what desk drawers are for...

Wink
Back to top Go down
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 12:40 pm

glpease wrote:
Benjamin Button wrote:

Wink

Amen

But your own your own for a shaker and Ice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benjamin Button

Benjamin Button

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 12:57 pm

glpease wrote:
Benjamin Button wrote:

Wink

I'll leave it up to you to find a way to fit the olives in my flask. Very Happy

Getting them out will be secondary. drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Benjamin Button wrote:
glpease wrote:
Benjamin Button wrote:

Wink

I'll leave it up to you to find a way to fit the olives in my flask. Very Happy

Getting them out will be secondary. drunken

Oh, that's easy. You just need a larger flask!

My design neurons are working overtime, now. A Martini flask. Double walled, with a thermal pack between the two walls. A separate compartment for the olives - you don't want the martini to get cloudy - and a built-in stainless cocktail pick. Chill the flask. Make a pristine martini in the usual way, and pour it in. When you're ready, so is your martini. Transportable glassware in the proper size and shape is a little more challenging.

I'm not really as much of a sot as it may appear...

By the way, am I the only one annoyed by the ridiculous trend towards absurdly large cocktail glasses? I saw a 15oz version the other day. Asinine! I have some beautiful cocktail glasses from the 1930s that are about 3oz; a bit TOO small, and not quite the right shape. It seems to me the pinnacle of the martini glass probably occurred in the late 1950s or early 1960s when people still wore neckties and jackets to parties. The glassware was elegant, and perfectly sized. Too small, you only get a few sips, or they end up so full that they become a spill hazzard. Too large, and the drink will warm up before you finish it.
Back to top Go down
Benjamin Button

Benjamin Button

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:57 pm

glpease wrote:

My design neurons are working overtime, now. A Martini flask. Double walled, with a thermal pack between the two walls. A separate compartment for the olives - you don't want the martini to get cloudy - and a built-in stainless cocktail pick. Chill the flask. Make a pristine martini in the usual way, and pour it in. When you're ready, so is your martini. Transportable glassware in the proper size and shape is a little more challenging.

You may be on to something here...hmmm...I can visualize it. To the drawing board!

glpease wrote:

By the way, am I the only one annoyed by the ridiculous trend towards absurdly large cocktail glasses? I saw a 15oz version the other day. Asinine! I have some beautiful cocktail glasses from the 1930s that are about 3oz; a bit TOO small, and not quite the right shape. It seems to me the pinnacle of the martini glass probably occurred in the late 1950s or early 1960s when people still wore neckties and jackets to parties. The glassware was elegant, and perfectly sized. Too small, you only get a few sips, or they end up so full that they become a spill hazzard. Too large, and the drink will warm up before you finish it.

It's funny you say that. We actually just downsized our martini glasses at the wine bar I work at part time. I prefer the smaller size, for one, because it forces the consumer to sip rather than gulp which many of the younger martini consumers today are not accustomed to. I believe partly due to the fact that the word martini in itself today is not so much associated with gin, but more so with crazy concoctions of sweet mixers and liqueurs, the market has slowly started to increase the size of the martini vessel to accommodate the amount of mixer that is required in the drinks thus also providing more room for the alcohol. Unfortunately, any drink that is now served in a martini glass is considered a "martini" and the word in and of itself has been sadly "lost in the mix", pun fully intended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JJPHOTO

JJPHOTO

Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Natch wrote:
Interesting that our libations, like our tobaccos, seem to have seasonal preferences.
Natch

Agreed. In Fall/Winter, it's Manhattans or Scotch for us. Spring/Summer it's strictly Bombay Sapphire martinis. I have to be careful with the martinis though. For some reason they really pack a punch on me. drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jasonjohnsonphoto.com
SmokeyTweed

SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 3:50 pm

On the topic of seasonal drinking i personally won't drink rum until its at least 20 degrees Celsius (room Temp) outside, Eggnog only within 3 weeks before Christmas.

Blended whiskey any old time of the year!

Call my young and inexperienced but my taste for Martinis has yet to be established and i only imbibe them when already into my cups but i always stick to my old man's old addage: "Martinis are like boobs, one is not enough and three is too many"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

paddy-boy wrote:
PD
I must humbly disagree.
Ah but you see, you've left out the single greatest factor in your assessment: The wife declares the vodka martini to be the finest of cocktails, thus, clearly it is so Exclamation Some points just are not worth toiling after, given the opposition Shocked Now for me, I'm a Bombay Sapphire man (just hold the vermouth bottle over the mixing glass and bless it by making the Catholic crossing motion, hopefully none of the vermouth will spill into the gin in doing so). Gently stirred, 3 queens, served 'Up' and no distractions please Smile

Besides, if she wants Sky, Sky's the limits! ($14 a bottle, gotta love a cheap date Wink )

mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 5:19 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
[Ah but you see, you've left out the single greatest factor in your assessment: The wife declares the vodka martini to be the finest of cocktails, thus, clearly it is so . )

Yes, when mama's happy, everyone's happy !!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
paddy-boy wrote:
PD
I must humbly disagree.
Ah but you see, you've left out the single greatest factor in your assessment: The wife declares the vodka martini to be the finest of cocktails, thus, clearly it is so Exclamation Some points just are not worth toiling after, given the opposition Shocked Now for me, I'm a Bombay Sapphire man (just hold the vermouth bottle over the mixing glass and bless it by making the Catholic crossing motion, hopefully none of the vermouth will spill into the gin in doing so). Gently stirred, 3 queens, served 'Up' and no distractions please Smile

Besides, if she wants Sky, Sky's the limits! ($14 a bottle, gotta love a cheap date Wink )
I stand corrected sir. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Its not quite time yet.
I'm rockin the 7 and 7 tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 2:55 pm

glpease wrote:

I'm so reminded of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where the Saint Bernard runs up to rescue Yosemite Sam, opens his little barrel attached to his collar, mixes up a martini which he then gulps down, packs up and runs off barking.
lol!
Back to top Go down
adauria

adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 3:17 pm

With snow on the ground I am longing for that Spring martini myself. As for me, I'll take it 5:1 (not very dry) using Hendrick's or Tanqueray Ten. I completely agree with Greg on the 3 olive system, eating at the beginning middle and end of the Martini.

Until the weather warms a bit (we are expecting 70's by the end of the week, despite the gloomy snow day we are having), I will have to stick with my snifter of Bourbon.

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 4:52 pm

OK, Ok you boys talked me into it. I stopped off at the ABC and picked up a bottle of Seagrams Gin and one of Martini & Rossi Dry Vermouth (not really knowing which was best-just experimenting) then on to the grocery for olives- just got standard green olives (next time I'll get the queens presoaked in vermouth). I regretably passed on picking up a pair of Martini glasses using a standard shallow water glass instead. Following a set of directions I found online I ran it 5:1 over ice cubes stiring for 30 sec. then straining into the chilled glass with three olives on a standard wooden toothpick. Lessons learned: get the martini glasses, use queen vermouth soaked olives, get longer toothpicks. But overall a good drinking experience (looks like two are my limit drunken ). I'll keep experimenting, I'm open to all advice (in addition to all the above advice). Tell me more about shaking vs stiring.
Back to top Go down
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

PostSubject: Re: It must be getting to be spring time   It must be getting to be spring time EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Nextime EJ
Try Hendricks or Bootles gin and use a 6 to 1 ratio.
I can only get M&R at our state store. So when I travel out of state I usually pick up a couple of bottles of Noilly Pratt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

It must be getting to be spring time
Page 1 of 1