HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The impact of the economy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:27 pm

A quote from Puff Daddy in the Todd Johnson thread:

Quote :
Ya know it's funny you mention the economy MB, cuz I think I just witnessed the economy's impact on our hobby. The Reno pipe show had about 25 tables filled with pipes ranging from brand new high grades to new mid range production pipes to fairly rare mint condition estates to beater pipes that have seen better days. You name it, it was there. I saw very few sales and in talking with a couple of the estate sellers they acknowledged that their sales were pretty slow.

This year I may not buy any pipes. I am going to try to get one or two Ruthenbergs, but the chances are dim. The thing is, in spite of the recession we seem to be in, the costs associated with my other hobbies have been going up quite steadily. It is becoming increasingly difficult to stretch the "disposable income," and inevitably some things are going to suffer. In my case, it is the purchase of pipes. My pipe spending is going to go mostly to tobacco. The priority is to add 40 lb to my cellar by the end of the year. All tins, mostly 50 g, no bulks at all. This is the budget that I can get approved by the wife without major fits and without having to cut my other hobbies. I don't see the situation getting better soon, only worse.

I don't know what the future will bring, but I suspect there are many others in the same boat as I. Are you guys cutting back, too? How?

Last edited by Wet Dottle on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:39 pm

It's been a while since I surfed Ebay, but my impression is that prices have softened there as well. Is that the opinion of others?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:50 pm

I keep telling myself that same thing about purchasing pipes. Then I go online and see something that I think I can't live without. I know I really don't need it but I WANT it. I find myself placing a bid on ebay and then hoping that I get outbid a few minutes later. I really do need to stop the impulse buying and bidding and concentrate on tobacco like you're planning for this coming year.

That being said, I did win a 4dot Sasieni Walnut yesterday for $16.45 + 4.95 shipping. Neutral

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pseudo Nim

Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:42 pm

I agree wet dottle, better to buy tabac than pipes and 40 pounds sounds a healthy amount, about a 50g tin per day should do it, (over and above what you go through) the economy is not going to get much better on either side of the pond for the forseeable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:54 pm

I would have to agree that my pipe related purchases have slowed down. I "hope" to add one or two pipes to the herd this year but am not sure if I will be able to swing it. I doubt that I will be making any large blend purchases either. I shot my tobacco budget for this year getting the Spring Forward Box pass prepped along with restocking my favorite Uhle's bulk blends. Now that they have added this stupid $25 a pound tax on RYO cigarette tobacco I can see a lot of my "pipe" budget going toward my wifes habit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:02 pm

I really couldn't say what I'm going to do this coming year because my job depends on the economy, both local and federal. I'm in heavy construction (concrete) and we do everything from bridges and silos and freeway building to new home slabs. The company I work for covers the whole spectrum and all aspects of the economy will effect us, whether it's the family that wants to put in a pool or the federal govt allocating money for infrastructure or big corporations building warehouses, etc. In the past 18 months our seniority list (the total number of men who do what I do in my outfit) has dropped by half. Luckily I still hold a fair seniority number even after that hit, but I will still definitely be affected. Will be interesting to say the least.

If I have a really good year (not likely) I want to add a couple of high grade danish or American carvers to my collection. If I have a modest year maybe a nice old Charatan Supreme, patent Dunhill or patent Sasieni. If it's a bad year I'll be happy to add a couple pounds to the cellar. Right now I have no plans, we'll just see how it goes.

I did take $150 with me to the Reno show, it was all I could muster. I told myself "Only if I see something special". Well, I did see several somethings special, but they were all well over $150 so I ended up not buying anything. I did come close a couple of times, but the pipes I was considering weren't what I really wanted (not the right shape or not the right condition or era) and I realized that I was trying to force myself to find a pipe I'd like. That's when it's time to say "Next time".

So, next time, hopefully.

Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:54 pm

I've noticed that there is less money to spend on anything "extra". It seems that lately the big ticket items that we all use in our daily lives just don't last like they used to and either have to be repaired or replaced, usually at great cost. In the last few months I've spent close to $2000 for furnace and car repairs and I believe as I type my 7 year old water heater is on the way out. I will try to add a few pipes to the collection and also several tins to the cellar but if the economy doesn't improve I may have to modify these plans...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:02 pm

The economy in my area has been on a very rapid decline for the last 20 years, I got caught up in corporate upheaval 7 years ago and reinvented my goals, adapted, and trained for new career skills. My commute to work has reduced from a 40 min one way to just 5 minutes,dropping my gas costs to nil, and my new job is secure. As for my kids, the future seems dreary. In an effort to possibly correct this situation we're advancing with a project to overhaul our 110 acres of former dairy farm into apple orchard. If successful it will provide them with opportunity and options. We'll start small and advance. This venture requires replacement of old worn out equipment, the big ticket item is the purchase of a new tractor, (on order) to prepare the land and which will limit spendable income for a while.
I plan on splurging on one or two high grade pipes for the year, but my main concern is pecking away at the thousands of tobacco blends to find a few I really look forward to lighting up. Thanks to all the brothers I've traded blends with, but I haven't found my tobacco niche yet. This spring box pass is a major help in this problem. I can't squirrel away bulk until I know. On the bright side, every new sample, and every new tin offers an adventure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Even' All, Living on SS Disability does leave too much disposible income it gets disposed of pretty quickly! Very Happy I bought one pipe from Dock, and I have the SHPC POY by rad davis coming , Ill just be buying certain tabacs that I wish to smoke before the FDA takes control of tobacco! Ken tongue
Pacem en Puffing! tongue From The Northeast Kingdom! tongue pale penguin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yooper

Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:18 pm

I'm inclined to agree, any extra money is probably better spent on tobacco rather than new pipes. Besides, trying a new tobacco in an old pipe is more of a new experience than trying an old tobacco in a new pipe. I enjoy buying new pipes and smoking them as much as the next guy, but I guess I'm more of a smoker than a collector. Maybe the wife is right and I DO have enough pipes! Sound familiar? Boy, that's a scary thought!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Economy is affecting me......overtime cut,less mail to sort,rumors of consolidation
and facilites closing.Less disposable money for sure,looking for bargains all the time.
I'll probably get a pipe for birthday and one at Xmas plus some more tobacco.I've
got about 15 lbs. now.I got a newsletter from Mars Cigars in which he said not to
overreact to this Schip tax,it's not going to raise pipe tobacco that much.
I have all the empathy in the world for anybody who lost their position,I've been
through that in '85 and it was traumatic,it worked out for the best but try and tell that
to a guy who just got a pink slip. affraid

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The impact of the economy   Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:28 pm

I've recently made four significant tobacco puchases this year in anticipation of price increases (some happened!) and the SCHIP tax. Quite frankly, I have more than enough pipe tobacco to last me for one hell of a long time! Not that there aren't some I don't have that I would like to have; I'm just drawing in my fangs for a while. Same for cigars; have plenty for a considerable while. At my consumption rate; I'm in great shape. As for pipes, I have several I haven't even smoked yet No ! The temptation is overwhelming with so many great carvers out there whose wares I would love to buy; just ain't gonna do it at the moment. With 135+ pipes, it's hard to justify buying more. But who knows, I've been known to give in to a variety of temptations over the years lol! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The impact of the economy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: