HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:19 pm

This afternoon I went to the hair-dresser to pick up something from my wife who was having her hair done.

There was a "lull" so I casually said, "I should get my hair cut."

Damn it, before I knew it... this Irish guy was washing my hair Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Then he got me to move over to another chair where he clipped away with his scissors in front on a large mirror.

It went on and on, I suspect for a good part of an hour Shocked . My wife was zip, zip, zip and a few minutes it was done.

What got me was the conversation... good old Canuk political jabber...

The price $35 (my wife paid for it plus $5 tip)... Hell I could buy a hair clipper set at Costco for that.

But maybe that's what a haircut is about nowadays... talking to the barber (ahem stylist); talking about life...

For 20 years my wife cut my hair (and our 5 kids)... now she wants me to pay her for past services Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Slow Puffs on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richmondesi

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:20 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
This afternoon I went to the hair-dresser to pick up something from my wife who was having her hair done.

There was a "lull" so I casually said, "I should get my hair cut."

Damn it, before I knew it... this Irish guy was washing my hair Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Then he got me to move over to another chair where he clipped away with his scissors in front on a large mirror.

It went on and on, I suspect for a good part of an hour Shocked . My wife was zip, zip, zip and a few minutes it was done.

What got me was the conversation... good old Canuk political jabber...

The price $35 (my wife paid for it plus $5 tip)... Hell I could buy a hair clipper set at Costco for that.

But maybe that's what a haircut is about nowadays... talking to the barber (ahem stylist); talking about life...

For 20 years my wife cut my hair (and our 5 kids)... now she wants me to pay her for past services Evil or Very Mad

I pay $9 for my haircut at an old honest-to-goodness barber shop
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:35 pm

When the title said first hair cut in over 20 years I was expecting a story of how the barber cut off 6 feet of of 20 years accumulation! afro Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lewisableidinger.com
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:42 pm

Rail Man wrote:
When the title said first hair cut in over 20 years I was expecting a story of how the barber cut off 6 feet of of 20 years accumulation! afro Laughing

Yooo --- made the title a little more clear... Wink ... damn you move out of the Dakota's and you don't give a guy break Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davearob

Registration date : 2009-02-27

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:56 am

I live in Red Deer. There is a barber here who gives hair cuts for $10.00 on Thursdays. My hairs getting so thin on top I can't justify spending any more than that. I have wanted to get a set of clippers and do it my self but this seems to horrify my wife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:49 am

Slow Puffs wrote:
now she wants me to pay her for past services Evil or Very Mad
I am trying to restrain myself!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:35 am

Slow Puffs wrote:
Hell I could buy a hair clipper set at Costco for that.
Yeah, but at least now you don't have to wear a hat everywhere you go Laughing The chilli bowl hairstyle is a bit passe', ya know?

paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 am

richmondesi wrote:

Yep
That is what I pay as well
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:24 am

paddy-boy wrote:
richmondesi wrote:

Yep

Ditto here too + $1 tip to make it an even ten.

We bought a clipper set a few years ago so my wife could learn to cut my hair, after a year I started going back to a barber shop Surprised . lol!
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:38 am

I'm surrounded by lively, inexpensive barber shops--they really are a center of African-American culture--but the barbers don't know how to cut straight hair. So in the cool months, my girlfriend trims it, and in the warm months I buzz it off.

Better than my father's situation growing up: his mother, an undertaker, would cut his hair, but he had to lie down on the table so he'd be in the usual position of one of her customers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
richmondesi

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:47 am

Doc Manhattan wrote:
I'm surrounded by lively, inexpensive barber shops--they really are a center of African-American culture--but the barbers don't know how to cut straight hair. So in the cool months, my girlfriend trims it, and in the warm months I buzz it off.

Better than my father's situation growing up: his mother, an undertaker, would cut his hair, but he had to lie down on the table so he'd be in the usual position of one of her customers.

Concerning the barbers: I'm really surprised that they can't cut straight hair. Some of my best haircuts were done by some African-American High School kids that ran a psuedo-barber shop. However, my very best haircut was given by Vito Chiaravalloti (obviously and Italian Barber in New Jersey... It was a great experience).

Concerning the dead-man's haircut position: That's just creepy Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richmondesi

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:47 am

EJinVA wrote:
paddy-boy wrote:
richmondesi wrote:

Yep

Ditto here too + $1 tip to make it an even ten.

We bought a clipper set a few years ago so my wife could learn to cut my hair, after a year I started going back to a barber shop Surprised . lol!

+1 on the typical $1 tip
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 am

My situation is about the opposite. Twenty something years ago I went in a barbershop and the barber got to trading dogs with another customer in the middle of my hair cut. He would cut some...then bargain some with more thought to the bargaining as I found out when I got home. To straighten it up, I took a pair of scissors and worked on it a while. Much to my surprise it looked pretty good. Then I bought a set of electric clippers at WalMart and have been cutting my own hair (and beard) since then.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:22 pm

"For 20 years my wife cut my hair (and our 5 kids)... now she wants me to pay her for past services"

When my old barber retired in 1970 I bought a clipper set for the family
(2 boys at the time. 4 when we stopped having kids) and made a deal
with the wife....I said, If you'll cut all the boys and my hair we can afford
for you to go to the beauty parlor whenever you want to (We were a single
income family....ME!) Wife said Ok and I've not been to barber again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richmondesi

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Buck wrote:
"For 20 years my wife cut my hair (and our 5 kids)... now she wants me to pay her for past services"

When my old barber retired in 1970 I bought a clipper set for the family
(2 boys at the time. 4 when we stopped having kids) and made a deal
with the wife....I said, If you'll cut all the boys and my hair we can afford
for you to go to the beauty parlor whenever you want to (We were a single
income family....ME!) Wife said Ok and I've not been to barber again!

I started shearing my head with clippers, and I still go just to go hang out with the guys and shoot the breeze...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stan41

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:25 pm

10 or 12 years ago I got all my haircuts at a Barbershop. Every time I came back from the Barbershop my wife complained about the way the barber cut it.

One day I was just idling around at Walmart and bought a good clipper set for I think $15.95.

Told wife, OK, now you can cut my hair and make it look like you want it to. The first time she cut it seemed like it took forever, but she picked up on it pretty quickly and I haven't been back to a barber shop since.

I like for her to cut it better anyway. My hair is stiff as copper wire and when I went to the barber shop I would itch until I got home and took a shower sincer the barber just swept all the clippings down my collar. (seemed like).

Now, she can cut my hair and I can hop in the shower and be clean as a whistle and free of hair clipping in a jiffy.

Stan41
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Two girls run our two barber shop,,, both intelligent and gorgeous ,,,but the the amazing part is they both hunt and fish with their boyfriends,,lively conversation and tips where the perch are biting,,,ran into one of the girls blackpowder hunting last fall,,,she had a four point down,,,,needless to say it's refreshing to have a woman enjoying the outdoors,,,no comment on my tipping ,,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:27 pm

I go to Mae's Beauty Saloon, She cuts my hair I stare at Her ...'s Ken tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:41 am

pipetongue1 wrote:
cheers lol! lol! lol! lol! cheers
One on the benefits of using a female barber!
Back to top Go down
richmondesi

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:17 am

EJinVA wrote:
pipetongue1 wrote:

That must be nice, I've never seen one that was attractive enough to look at through a telescope, much less one that I would want to have a front row seat to
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:48 pm

The last time I got a trim, my barber was so thoroughly out-of-control graphic as he delivered a narration on his years as a dance instructor before taking up the scissors that I went home wondering whether I should call the cops or have a long hot shower to wsh his stories off of me.

I consider access to a good barber to be one of the most important things in a man's life. The best experience I ever had was in China where a beautiful woman of indeterminate age washed my hair and massaged my head for about 20 minutes before giving me a light trim. She spoke little English and I speak all of about 10 words in Mandarin, so it was a gentle, restful experience.

Trouble is, she is a long way away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years   Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 pm

richmondesi wrote:
EJinVA wrote:
pipetongue1 wrote:

That must be nice, I've never seen one that was attractive enough to look at through a telescope, much less one that I would want to have a front row seat to

In the course of my 47 years, I've regularly seen two female barbers, the first one was while in the military. 'Charley the Clipper' in Abilene, Tx was not very attractive, but a fine barber. She drove a pink Studebaker pickup truck!

The second is my present barber in Jasper, Ga also not very attractive and a fine barber. She knows how to talk to men, loves Dale Jr and all things NASCAR!

Neither one was/is anything to 'look at' but do their craft very well (and I'm very picky). What more could I ask for? If I wish some other kind of 'service' my wife isn't providing, I think I'd look somewhere other than a barber shop Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

First Paid-For Hair Cut in Over 20 Years
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1