HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

LL Are the Floods Near You?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: LL Are the Floods Near You?   Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:21 pm

There are lots of news items about floods in North Dakota... are you keeping dry LL??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: LL Are the Floods Near You?   Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:42 pm

I think he lives a little too far west, they are over on the eastern side from what I know. Railman on the other hand???

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: LL Are the Floods Near You?   Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Well, if it were a year or so ago the apartments below me would have been in potential danger for being wet (I would have been high and dry). Here in Wisconsin though I am across the street from a river that broke flood records last year, but luckily nothing bad this year.

I have been keeping in touch with people I still know there. Sounds like nearly the entire Fargo/Moorhead community was out sandbagging! Isn't sounding too good though. The river will be 2-4 feet higher than in '97 and '97 it reached nearly the break point. Most of the people I know have left for their respective home towns as part of the voluntary evacuation.

The problem is once the Red gets out of its banks the ground around the river is so flat the water just spreads out for up to and over a mile. In other words it probably wouldn't completely flood out a house but would fill the basement and possibly a foot or two on the first floor.

Hopefully the dikes they built up will be able to hold back the river. Cold weather has put a stop to snow melt for now, so hopefully the river can get down a bit more before the melt starts again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lewisableidinger.com
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: LL Are the Floods Near You?   Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:02 pm

Puffs --

The western third of ND is geographically Montana, while the eastern two thirds is true plains. Instead of north and south Dakota, it should be east and west divided by the Missouri River. Anyway, where I am isn't what's all over the news. Snowmelt flooding in a few basements is all that's going on here this week. (Huge drifts on the south side of buildings get sun-cooked after a blizzard passes, and the water has nowhere to go.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: LL Are the Floods Near You?   Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:31 pm

I was there in 1997 going to a Postal school in Minniapolis and it was scary to
see the river so high it was touching the underside of the huge bridges.........
and this is worse? No

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile

LL Are the Floods Near You?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1