HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Good evening, my fellow pipesters!

Okay, I am a freaking and a tweaking. I have been looking at rings, yes, it is true. And my sweetie and I are planning a little getaway to a rustic old inn in the mountains that has a hot springs. This coming weekend, no less. And I am planning on popping the question. We have already discussed marriage, so I know the answer. But I am trying to make it "special," and a surprise at that.

I have already procured her father's blessing. Yes, I know, I am a class act all the way...

So, with that being said, any of you fine gentlemen have any stylish, suave, romantic, nifty, or otherwise super cool ideas on how to pop the question with some panache and elan, maybe with a side of verve? I am looking for ways to present the ring, etc. Everybody knows the ring in the champagne-glass trick. I thought you guys might have some alternative ideas...

Thanks in advance, all ye brethren!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 pm

How about when you are up in that romantic rustic old mountain inn, just kindly ask her to marry you, plain and simple.

I know, I'm a simple minded redneck!

By the way, contratulations and good on you! Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:44 am

All that comes to mind is some variation on communicating to her that the ONLY thing missing from making your life complete, is for her to be your wife! I'm confident that you will work it out Very Happy

Congrats! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:43 am

Come on you guys...

Trout Bum said:
So, with that being said, any of you fine gentlemen have any stylish, suave, romantic, nifty, or otherwise super cool ideas on how to pop the question with some panache and elan, maybe with a side of verve? I am looking for ways to present the ring, etc. Everybody knows the ring in the champagne-glass trick. I thought you guys might have some alternative ideas...

Here's an example:

Quote :
Our last night there we decided to walk the beach that our resort was located on and collect sand to bring home as a keepsake. We walked hand and hand along the ocean's edge with the water wrapping around our feet and ankles with each wave. Sitting down on a lounge chair together we marveled at all the stars and clear sky. While we listened to the waves my fiancÚ asked me if I had made a wish the other night when I had witnessed two shooting stars in the sky from our balcony. I looked at him and said that it happened so fast and that I was so amazed at what I had seen that I never made a wish. He suggested that I close my eyes and wish upon those shooting stars at that very moment. I closed my eyes and then got butterflies in my stomach. When I opened my eyes, my fiancÚ was down on one knee in the sand.

The lighthouse on a nearby hill shone its bright light across the sky as the stars twinkled. He took my hand, gently placed the ring on my finger and asked, "Will you be my wife?" As my eyes filled with tears I noticed how the diamonds on the ring twinkled just like the stars. I said, "Of course I will!" and embraced him with a hug as he stroked my hair and I cried.

We sat on the beach for about 45 minutes thereafter as I cried intermittently. We kissed, hugged, caressed and talked about how this was the best vacation ever! He told me that 2 months prior he went to my parents and asked permission for my hand in marriage. I've been engaged for 1 week now and am the happiest woman on earth!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:14 am

Sorry SP, please see my signature lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:43 am

I think JP and Kilted1 gave solid advice.

Tell her how everything in your life has become so great with her, and how you have something so special, and that all you want to do is be with her for the rest of your life. Then go down on one knee, and ask her to marry you.

Something simple and cute will be very memorable IMO.

Though I'm 19...so you may want to ask some of the old folks! lol!

...you could try and look into some basic magic and make one appear or something Very Happy

For example. That stuff that you get from the drugstore that is like sealant for cuts. You paint it on and it looks like skin. Put the ring on your stomach, and seal it in with globs of that stuff mixed with skin colored makeup powder stuff. It'll just look like you have a mini tumor! Then, you could pretend to eat it out of the ring box, and then pull it through your stomach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:00 am

Just get her off alone and tell her you found something she lost and needed and you are pretty sure she would like to keep it for life
Give it to her in a small paper bag

She will love it lol
Back to top Go down
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:17 am

About 20 years ago my friend took his gal for a nice supper on a mountaintop. The waiter brought all the courses out and had been bragging about how delicious the carrot cake was. At the end of the meal the waiter came out and (intentionally) told the couple there was no more carrot cake left and offered his apologies. When the waiter walked away my friend told his lady, "Well, they might have run out of the carrot cake, but I do have this carat." And offered her the diamond ring while asking her to marry him.

After a nice night out with a delicious supper and a horse carriage ride I took my wife to a park with a beautiful gazebo. For the 2-3 weeks prior I had buttered her up that I was broke and wouldn't be looking to get married anytime soon. I told her that in this very gazebo my sister had gotten married. I asked her if she were to get married someday would she want to have it outside in a gazebo like this. She said no, and that she preferred the idea of a church wedding. I then asked her if she would like to get engaged in a place like this. She was a bit stunned as I dropped to my knee and offered her a ring.

Regardless of how you do it I wish you the best on your proposal and hopes she tells you, "Yes!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:32 am

I always wanted to hide the ring in a Crackerjack box, instead of the "toy surprise." But that would be way too conspicuous--you don't just carry around a box of Crackerjack, unless you're at a baseball game... and I don't want to propose at a baseball game.

My good friend was dating a Rockette, and when the time came, he arranged for family and friends to get stage access after the show. The stage manager told her she had to come back onstage for some publicity photos, and when she did, he popped the question, right on center stage of Radio City Music Hall. The organist had stayed to rehearse, and he struck up the wedding march on the Mighty Wurlitzer.

I figure there's no way I can ever top that, so when the day comes I'm going with an old-fashioned taking-a-knee on some quiet evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 am

Hmm... boy oh boy, now I think I am even more distraught! Let's see, we've got everything from keeping it simple to producing the ring from my stomach.... Although I kind of like the paper bag idea from Dave... uhmm.... I also like the advice from Justpipes and Kilted1.... I may not plan anything at all and wait until the moment is right, then do the one knee thing, and just go for it. Or, maybe I'll hire a marching band, a stunt pilot, a troupe of midgets, and a demolitions expert and really surprise her... wait, probably can't afford that.... Okay, I shall keep it simple. Thanks for the input, my fellow pipe men!

I shall report back after the deed has been done, gentlemen!

Oh, by the way, at this moment I am drinking coffee, smoking a morning bowl of Plumb Pudding, and getting ready to buy the ring before I have to go in to work. Wow. Just one month ago, I was wondering what I should do with my life... this is big stuff; I can only think that I must be the luckiest man alive. I may have to re-think some of the philosophical ramblings that I have posted on this forum, you know, all the stuff about continually asking why and leading an anchorless life, adrift and just kind of seeing where the currents might take you... Well, on that note, it appears that the currents and winds have taken my little ship to right about exactly HERE, and I must say, so far, it looks like a pretty damn good place! By that, I mean that my life now has meaning and a very distinct focus (a baby girl, if I haven't mentioned it!) and boy oh boy does it feel good. In many ways, I feel that my greatest adventure of all is going to be these roles of husband and father; I cannot imagine a more profound blessing. I am humbled, I am greatful, and, she will let me smoke my pipe in the house! (Not around the baby, of course!). I feel like my life is only now just beginning, and that feels really, really, good.

Thanks for letting me share, gentlemen.

As this road of life takes a twist here, a turn there, let us find the time to take a relaxing smoke, and reflect on all that is beautiful and good in our lives.

Okay, I am now done. Hope that wasn't too... much.

Special Agent Trout Bum -- Over and Out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:08 am

Trout Bum wrote:
Hmm... boy oh boy, now I think I am even more distraught! Let's see, we've got everything from keeping it simple to producing the ring from my stomach.... Although I kind of like the paper bag idea from Dave... uhmm.... I also like the advice from Justpipes and Kilted1.... I may not plan anything at all and wait until the moment is right, then do the one knee thing, and just go for it. Or, maybe I'll hire a marching band, a stunt pilot, a troupe of midgets, and a demolitions expert and really surprise her... wait, probably can't afford that.... Okay, I shall keep it simple. Thanks for the input, my fellow pipe men!

I shall report back after the deed has been done, gentlemen!

Oh, by the way, at this moment I am drinking coffee, smoking a morning bowl of Plumb Pudding, and getting ready to buy the ring before I have to go in to work. Wow. Just one month ago, I was wondering what I should do with my life... this is big stuff; I can only think that I must be the luckiest man alive. I may have to re-think some of the philosophical ramblings that I have posted on this forum, you know, all the stuff about continually asking why and leading an anchorless life, adrift and just kind of seeing where the currents might take you... Well, on that note, it appears that the currents and winds have taken my little ship to right about exactly HERE, and I must say, so far, it looks like a pretty damn good place! By that, I mean that my life now has meaning and a very distinct focus (a baby girl, if I haven't mentioned it!) and boy oh boy does it feel good. In many ways, I feel that my greatest adventure of all is going to be these roles of husband and father; I cannot imagine a more profound blessing. I am humbled, I am greatful, and, she will let me smoke my pipe in the house! (Not around the baby, of course!). I feel like my life is only now just beginning, and that feels really, really, good.

Thanks for letting me share, gentlemen.

As this road of life takes a twist here, a turn there, let us find the time to take a relaxing smoke, and reflect on all that is beautiful and good in our lives.

Okay, I am now done. Hope that wasn't too... much.

Special Agent Trout Bum -- Over and Out.

Trout,

What ever you do, listen to the Lord and he will let you know when the time is right but most of all dedicate it to Him and your lives together will be blessed. There is nothing greater than a marrige that is blessed of the Lord!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:10 am

Well, when you're sitting there in that mountain retreat, looking at the snow and guzzling beers, you could always go outside the window and pee 'Marry Me' in the snow Smile You gotta figure, if a woman is going to be able to put up with you for the rest of her life she'd better have a sense of humor Wink If it doesn't work she's not for you.

pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:12 am

Don't do it!! Keep your freedom!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .... tongue Ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:19 am

pipetongue1 wrote:
Don't do it!! Keep your freedom!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .... tongue Ken

Laughing lol!
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:24 am

pipetongue1 wrote:

lol!

Damn Ken... you gotta a way of getting to the point... what I was thinking too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 am

Freedom is valuable only to those who've lost it. He'll come around Neutral

It'll be easier to get it back if you pee your marriage proposal in the snow. Laughing

the macdonald

Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:02 pm

"In these trying economic times it would be fiscally responsible of us to create a legal bond. The combined assets will better enable us to weather the current financial climate and entitle us to certain tax benefits (consult you CPA for a more detailed explanation, benefits will vary state specifically) that may create a more liquidity and less volatility moving forward, positioning us strategically for significant realized gains...we can of course address the emotional aspects of relationship, visa vie, romance, but I believe the facts clearly point to the beneficial effect of solidifying our associations, now let us mark this union with a combination of diamond and gold commodities that symbolizes our commitment to long term strategies and goals"
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Proposal   Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:15 pm

I proposed on the edge of a cliff, so if she said no I could push her off..... Twisted Evil

However, To keep it simple, Attach the ring to the stem of a rose with a red ribbon and present it too her over a bottle of wine in the eve of your mountain retreat....
Tell her "Life is like this rose....It can have some thorns, but with her, always beautiful....."
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 pm

If she's a New Wave fan, you can always play her this 80s hit...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:59 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
If she's a New Wave fan, you can always play her this 80s hit...

lol! I Love it!
"I'll give you candy....diamonds....pills....anything you want...$100 dollar bills.....even let you watch the shows you want to see, just marry me " " "

lol! I'm Dyin here. lol!
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:20 pm

If I ever do surrender my remote and let my girl "watch the shows she wants to see," I'll know I've found the right one at last.

'Course, next day I'm going out to buy a second TV.
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm

I asked Cathy in my pickup truck, while we were coming back from a day trip. Very Happy

Once that was out of the way, I had to ask her dad for permission of course. Something I insisted upon. No one else bothered asking for his other two daughters. I think he liked it.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:15 pm

I just came across a picture... can't find it on the internet... thinking of the "rustic setting" and hot springs

there are flat rocks piled on top of each other.. each rock getting smaller...

the caption "Relax... life starts with a strong foundation"

the ring could be placed on top...

"We are starting our new journey with our new child with a strong foundation"

Admit it guys This the best one so far...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers   Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Well, when you're sitting there in that mountain retreat, looking at the snow and guzzling beers, you could always go outside the window and pee 'Marry Me' in the snow Smile You gotta figure, if a woman is going to be able to put up with you for the rest of her life she'd better have a sense of humor Wink If it doesn't work she's not for you.

lol! lol! the way to a womans heart is often mysterious,, lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Request Help: Proposal Ideas Sought From Briar Brothers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1