Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
Slow Puffs

Registration date : 2007-12-10

What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch Empty
PostSubject: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 11:42 am

My wife's boss insists that the "only" way to drink scotch is at room temperature, straight in a glass.

I always put ice cubes in the glass and then pour the scotch in the glass.

I suppose after a couple of glasses, it really doesn't matter drunken
Back to top Go down
Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 11:56 am

The proper way is the way you like it. Exclamation Your scotch drink it the way you want it. I like single malts it at room temp with a glass of spring water on the side. I add only a few drops of water to release the aromas. YMMV. If you like it on the rocks go for it. cheers
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 11:58 am

No idea where the cult of room-temp Scotch orginated. If you're trying to preserve the condition of spirit in the barrel, best to remember that those barrels spend their lives in a basement in Scotland. When it only hits 65 F outside in July, you can believe that Scotch spends most of its life very cold indeed.

I know a lot of people who endorse "Scotch on the rock"--a dram and one ice cube. Adds a little water and lowers the temp.
Back to top Go down
http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 2:19 pm

The reason for the room temperature is to keep it from getting watered down. I picked up a bottle of 18 year old Scotch that I intend to drink as scotch, not scotch and water.

However, what do I do in Texas where room temperature is pretty warm? Am I too drink warm whiskey just to ensure I'm proper?

One thing I do is drop an ice cube in the scotch and remove it a few seconds later, but I think I do this to bring out the flavor as someone with the drop of water mentioned more so than not.

What do I do?
Both!

The better the quality, themore likely I am to take it neat. Also, if I know I will sip on it for a while (like with a pipe), I like it neat. If I think I will be throwing down a few, I put an cube or two in it.
Back to top Go down
JJPHOTO

JJPHOTO

Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 4:28 pm

I drink mine neat only because I feel anything else in it waters down the flavor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jasonjohnsonphoto.com
SailorJack

SailorJack

Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 pm

In Large Quantities!!!
Back to top Go down
Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
My wife's boss insists that the "only" way to drink scotch is at room temperature, straight in a glass.

Hehe, Puff check this out lol!
http://www.teroforma.com/istar.asp?a...FRxinAod1B2IWQ

Look under accessories and there they are:

Whisky Stones As Teroforma co-founder Andrew Hellman points out, "some drinks need no diluting." Working with Vermont Soapstone (USA), our Whisky Stones are the perfect way to chill your next single malt just a touch without watering things down.
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
Slow Puffs

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Tennessee Dave wrote:
Slow Puffs wrote:

Hehe, Puff check this out lol!
http://www.teroforma.com/istar.asp?a...FRxinAod1B2IWQ

Look under accessories and there they are:

Whisky Stones As Teroforma co-founder Andrew Hellman points out, "some drinks need no diluting." Working with Vermont Soapstone (USA), our Whisky Stones are the perfect way to chill your next single malt just a touch without watering things down.

Thanks Dave,

That does look interesting. I've never heard of that before. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wet Dottle

Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 10:59 pm

I don't like to dilute scotch, either, but I like it cool. I simply keep the bottles in a little wine refrigerator and drink it at the same temperature as the white wine.

Added later: I tried those plastic cubes filled with water that are kept frozed in the freezer. I may be paranoid (well... no, I know I am), but I think they add a foreign taste to the scotch.
Back to top Go down
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 pm

You should both be at least 18 years old and it should be single malt. If this criteria is met, then it should be drunk copiously, one sip at a time.
shootist51
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 12:31 am

I guess it would be safe to put in the freezer, but not sure I want it THAT cold. It's scotch, not Jaeger... rabbit
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 8:51 pm

I like my whiskey room temperature and straight up, just like Leroy! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Warwick

Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Yep, room temperature, straight up. I always make sure the glass is absolutely dry before pouring. Then, when I drink it, I let it roll along the midline of my tongue to the back, where it should roll off the tongue evenly to either side. In that way, I get the simultaneous blossoming of olfactory and taste pleasures.

That's reminds me...time for my evening Lagavulin...
Back to top Go down
Idlefellow

Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Blends on the rocks, single malts with one ice cube. But then, I like red wine with most everything, so what do I know ?
Back to top Go down
SmokeyTweed

SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 1:32 pm

I find the best way to drink scotch is to keep consuming until you can see the ceiling clearly through the bottom of your glass.

With as many women as possible who are drinking Gin.
Back to top Go down
N7COF

N7COF

Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySun May 24, 2009 10:40 am

My preference is single malts room temp with a drop of water, Blends with one cube of ice & 3 cubes of ice for a rusty nail.
Back to top Go down
Dubbya

Dubbya

Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySun May 24, 2009 11:35 pm

SailorJack wrote:
In Large Quantities!!!

Yes! A man of great taste indeed.
Back to top Go down
Dillon

Dillon

Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 11:25 pm

Room temp, neat. Pretty much how I drink anything.
Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law
Centurian 803

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 12:33 am

Don't know (or care for that matter) if it's proper or not. I drink it neat at ambient temperature.
Back to top Go down
Tom Clemons

Tom Clemons

Location : Intersection of Great Black Swamp & Lake Erie, Ohio
Registration date : 2007-12-25

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 11:41 am

I use to drink single malts neat at room temperature all the time. Now, I almost always add 2-3 drops of water to the glass. I think the wee bit of water does open up the aroma. I use a single malt glass or a brandy snifter as I enjoy the aroma as just as important as the taste in the mouth, like good cognac.

I understand that many in Scotland drink single malts with quite a bit of water added, for what that is worth. A good friend goes over to northern England and Scotland every 1-2 years and this is what he reports the Scotch aficionados do in the country of origin.

I will also add ice to blends on occasion.

As always, drink it how you enjoy it.

Cheers,

TC
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Single malts with a wee bit o' spring water. My scotch and soda: Grant's or Famous Grouse, usually, over 2 or 3 ice cubes with a hearty splash of soda from my siphon. I also have a "whisky and soda" with no ice, using colder soda water from a chilled siphon. When traveling in England and Scotland (I have family in England), I've found that most pubs/bars will bring your whisky neat with water or soda on the side (ice cubes if requested!). Most pubs/bars have water flasks on the bar itself for you to "fix" your whisky as you wish!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
mrlindeman

mrlindeman

Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Pretty much what I do for Scotch is...   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:39 pm

I treat it similar to absinthe when I indulge once in a while. I drop just a smidge of cold water into it to release a little more aroma and flavor. Sometimes I like it on ice though. It really does depend on your personal taste and preferance. bounce
Back to top Go down
cutshot

cutshot

Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Pleath ferguv me fer um posthin htis bbut i lik to guzle it llllllike im dong tonit ahhhhhhhhh I kant tipe on hte keebored!
Back to top Go down
Handsome Dynamite

Handsome Dynamite

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:32 pm

I drink it three ways, depending on my mood and the company. Either room temperature in a glass, in a glass with a small amount of cool (not cold) water in, or with a few small ice cubes. It's preference. As long as it's not being made into stupid drinks (a few mixeds are fine), drank from the bottle or done with shots, I find it acceptable.
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch   What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Handsome Dynamite wrote:
drank from the bottle or done with shots, I find it acceptable.

DynOmite!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

What is the Proper way to Drink Scotch
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next