HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:47 am

Aaron, I'm curious to know if you found out what the trouble was, yet? Hoping things are going well for you...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:49 am

Me too bounce

What's happening brother, can we help Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:23 pm

hey everyone, thanks for all the prayers and thoughts. Still no word on what's wrong. The car is still sitting at my buddies house, he just hasn't hade time to look at it. Right now we are just bumming rides from friends. I did have my dads car for two days but on the way home from work yesterday the brake started smoking on the right front passenger side! I am having no luck with cars. So that is where things stand at the moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Update.

Still no word. I can't seem to get a hold of the guy who has my car at his house.... So, we're still bumming rides and whatnot. Being without a car is the pits.
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Aaron wrote:
Update.

Still no word. I can't seem to get a hold of the guy who has my car at his house.... So, we're still bumming rides and whatnot. Being without a car is the pits.

Can you go to the person's house and check on your car?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:12 pm

He lives in the back woods of a place called Wayne. I'm going to have to coordinate with his brother, who is a good friend of mine, and figure out a way to get out there. It'll definitely be next week at the earliest.
Back to top Go down
jmallen5

Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Aaron, I just saw your post, if your buddy can't figure it out call Gil's automotive in Norman. I've used him and my company has him take care of our work trucks. He is kind of grouchy, but he's good, honest and reasonable. Best of luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldog Bruce

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 pm

n, been away from puter for a while, just trying to catch up. If possible, have someone throw a battery charger on that rig and get it charged up good prior to havin a mech. look at it. It makes trouble shooting in a driveway a hell of a lot more pleasent. Wish I were closer, I'm a lot better with harley's, but have done a fair share of wrenching on autos. Keep in mind the best advice from other brothers. 'Reputable' mechanic. Oh, by 'wants to turn over', do you mean it is turning over and want's to start, or is motor not turning over at all?

Bulldog
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Fri May 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Another quick update. Got the car to my parents house and my dad is going to have some people look at it and we'll see how it goes from here. Bulldog, thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Dubbya

Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Sun May 03, 2009 1:54 am

All I can say is good luck with that.

I've finally found a good mechanic who's also a nice guy. He's also Johnny on the spot for anywhere any time. Just before I sold it, it was the last straw, he put a fuel pump on our old Civic in my driveway and, in the end, only charged me for parts plus $50.

Granted the fuel pump in that car comes out through a hatch in the trunk in about an hour in and out, but he could have charged what, I'm sure, a dealership/chain garage would have charged me, exactly one arm, two fingers from the other hand, and my first born.

I've rambled a bit, but best of luck in getting it back on the road.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woody

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Thu May 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Sounds like your almost there. Royal pain. Hope things work out okay for you and your gal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lees

Registration date : 2009-05-13

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Sun May 17, 2009 2:05 pm

It's great that you have your Dad living near by so he can have someone look at the car.

I was thinking the fuel pump as well. There's a way to check if it is loosing pressure by placing your hand over a certain part, but I can't remember which, as I saw my husband do it on our old Mercury Lynx. He helped me change the fuel pump on it, saying women should know how to do such things.

Another thought that can cause sudden deceleration could be the timing chain, though your Neon is fairly new, but with current cars of the past twenty or so years, that doesn't mean anything. Stuff breaks much sooner, or so it seems. Usually a timing-belt will crank but not start, if yours is an overhead cam engine then try opening the oil fill and look inside the valve cover while someone cranks the car where you should see the cams moving. If you don't, your timing belt is probably gone.

An acquaintance of mine said her transmission went out on her and her husband's 2007 Ford Escape, just six months after purchasing it. Yikes.

I hope you can get it fixed without it costing too much.
Regards, Lisa Marie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Sun May 17, 2009 3:33 pm

Lees wrote:
It's great that you have your Dad living near by so he can have someone look at the car.

I was thinking the fuel pump as well. There's a way to check if it is loosing pressure by placing your hand over a certain part, but I can't remember which, as I saw my husband do it on our old Mercury Lynx. He helped me change the fuel pump on it, saying women should know how to do such things.

Another thought that can cause sudden deceleration could be the timing chain, though your Neon is fairly new, but with current cars of the past twenty or so years, that doesn't mean anything. Stuff breaks much sooner, or so it seems. Usually a timing-belt will crank but not start, if yours is an overhead cam engine then try opening the oil fill and look inside the valve cover while someone cranks the car where you should see the cams moving. If you don't, your timing belt is probably gone.

An acquaintance of mine said her transmission went out on her and her husband's 2007 Ford Escape, just six months after purchasing it. Yikes.

I hope you can get it fixed without it costing too much.
Regards, Lisa Marie

For some reason Lisa, we remind me of Marisa Tomei in the movie "My Cousin Vinny".

Very Happy

Ever see the movie?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lees

Registration date : 2009-05-13

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Sun May 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Ha! I've always liked trying to fix things, but don't always know how. I like to listen to Click and Clack on occasion as I'm always learning something new about autos. My husband is a big help, too, as he encourages me and now, he never has to change the oil or oil filter as I usually beat him to it.

Ah, I've seen that movie, but shoot, I don't remember a character like that. I remember it was a very good movie, and thanks for the hint, as I can now put it in my Netflix queue. It's been years since we've seen it.

Lisa Marie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dougc905

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Sun May 17, 2009 10:36 pm

kilted1 wrote:
With someone helping, pull out a spark plug (it really doesn't matter which one as long as you can get to it easily) Have your helper turn the ignition on and try to start the car. If you are getting output from battery, coil/ignition system you should see a nice fat spark.

This isn't something a beginner should be trying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Sun May 31, 2009 4:15 am

So Aaron, are you back to living at home?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Sun May 31, 2009 1:11 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
So Aaron, are you back to living at home?

With my wife and son yeah. Not with my parents.
Back to top Go down
HoosierPuffer

Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: neon   Sun May 31, 2009 11:26 pm

We own a neon.

The wife bought it before we were married.

We've had it now for going on 10 years.

The thing runs like a champ. Great, American-made car.

I've had the alternator replaced once, but I'm not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV, nor have I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn, and thus - I am sorry to say I cannot troubleshoot your problem with my mad interwebz skillz. But I will pray for you Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Well well well... the engine is shot. Three pistons are down and one wasn't getting juice at all.

$1,418.43 was the estimate to get her fixed. Car's not even worth that probably.

We'll see what happens next. Smile

Some of my lodge brothers are looking at used cars for me and asking around if any brother has one they'd like to sell... and sell for cheep. So that is good news.

I'll keep everyone updated in the mean time.

cheers,

Aaron.
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Aaron wrote:
Well well well... the engine is shot. Three pistons are down and one wasn't getting juice at all.

$1,418.43 was the estimate to get her fixed. Car's not even worth that probably.

We'll see what happens next. Smile

Some of my lodge brothers are looking at used cars for me and asking around if any brother has one they'd like to sell... and sell for cheep. So that is good news.

I'll keep everyone updated in the mean time.

cheers,

Aaron.

OUCH! Best of luck, hopefully one or more of your brothers will come through for you. That's a hard knock, keep your chin up man, better days are coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:07 pm

Best wishes on the new ride, Aaron. Hopefully you'll find a bargain that will give you some extended years!
Back to top Go down
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:12 pm

That's a bummer Aaron.

I totally understand how that goes. When I got divorced I walked away from the marriage with a '86 Chevy Sprint and what it could hold, nothing else. I didn't make much money at the time, had child support to pay and was rooming with two girls that felt sorry for me which was still more than I could afford.

One night after working a night shift I was driving home and my engine blew (if you call a 3 cylinder Suzuki an engine to begin with). It was a long, dark and desolate road so it was a long walk to a pay phone so I could call a tow truck to take me and my car home (again another expense I couldn't really afford). On my way to the phone some drunk kids drove passed me and threw two half finished beer cans at me, one covering me with beer. Not another half mile down the road I was attacked by a dog that really tore into my right calf before I was able to scare it off. Finally I found a pay phone and was able to call a tow truck, who informed me that I had to walk back to my car and meet him there. So I gimped back to my car which other than being painful was thankfully uneventful. Then after all that I had to figure out what I was going to do about transportation.

So if you're feeling down, it could always be worse. Laughing

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
TallSmoke

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:14 pm

jhuggett wrote:
That's a bummer Aaron.

I totally understand how that goes. When I got divorced I walked away from the marriage with a '86 Chevy Sprint and what it could hold, nothing else. I didn't make much money at the time, had child support to pay and was rooming with two girls that felt sorry for me which was still more than I could afford.

One night after working a night shift I was driving home and my engine blew (if you call a 3 cylinder Suzuki an engine to begin with). It was a long, dark and desolate road so it was a long walk to a pay phone so I could call a tow truck to take me and my car home (again another expense I couldn't really afford). On my way to the phone some drunk kids drove passed me and threw two half finished beer cans at me, one covering me with beer. Not another half mile down the road I was attacked by a dog that really tore into my right calf before I was able to scare it off. Finally I found a pay phone and was able to call a tow truck, who informed me that I had to walk back to my car and meet him there. So I gimped back to my car which other than being painful was thankfully uneventful. Then after all that I had to figure out what I was going to do about transportation.

So if you're feeling down, it could always be worse. Laughing

3 cylinder? Was it a glorified lawn mower motor you stuck under that hood or something?

Oh, and did the dog get you again on the way back?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:17 pm

TallSmoke wrote:
Oh, and did the dog get you again on the way back?
I wondered the same thing.

Dang J that was a bummer of a night man.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.   Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Bummer of a situation Aaron--hope you find a good new ride soon and at the right price!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next