HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Prince Albert or Carter Hall?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jj1015

Number of posts: 283
Tobacco: Lots of burlies, some balkans and the occasional Va or Va/PER. I like some aromatics but use them sparingly.
Favorites are: Wilderness, Old Joe Krantz, Exhausted Rooster, Filmore, Chelsea Morning.
Pipe: Savinellis, Doctor Grabows, Gatlinburlier.
Registration date: 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Just curious -- do you prefer one of these OTC tobaccos over the other, or do you find them both wanting? Why?

While they're both classic burley mixtures, over the past six months I've come to greatly prefer Carter Hall.

Prince Albert is a darker, less sweet blend with a little more nicotine and, perhaps, a faint hint of chocolate casing (but I'm by no means sure that any flavoring agent is used). The flavor is simple to describe: burley, burley, and more burley, with an occasional hint of nuttiness or sweetness. The burning qualities are legendary. PA tastes pleasant enough to me, but it bites me on occasion and simply fails to hold my attention through the course of a bowl -- I find myself wanting to switch to something else halfway through. As in CH, there's some PG here, but I'm not as bothered by its presence as some smokers.

The precise components of Carter Hall elude me. I believe it's probably 90 percent burley with a little bright Va. thrown in (it comes out in the room note sometimes), topped with some kind of mild flavoring agent that evokes raisins, prunes, etc. It burns as well as PA, and I've yet to get this mixture to bite unless I deliberately abuse it. I find it to be a little more complex, a little easier on the mouth, and simply more interesting than its cousin. I sometimes smoke this all day without growing bored.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LtMac

Number of posts: 428
Registration date: 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:48 am

I keep both on hand, but Prince Albert slightly wins out as my favorite. The reasons are given in your description: its darker, less sweet, with a little more nicotine..

LtMac
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Number of posts: 3794
Tobacco: GH Flakes
Pipe: Gregor Lobnik
Registration date: 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:50 am

I'm with jj: I prefer Carter Hall to Prince Albert, though I like both. CH has a "brighter" and certainly sweeter flavor, and the taste gets going right away, whereas PA is mellower and sometimes takes half a bowl for those nutty burley notes to emerge. I've gone a week with CH and a cob and been happy as a clam.

(One theory of my impression is that I smoke classic burleys almost exclusively walking about outside, because of their outstanding burning qualities. So I lose a lot of what's added by the room aroma, and the stronger/sweeter top note of CH comes through better.)

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
robertw1249

Number of posts: 175
Registration date: 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:29 am

i think both are really good blends but i find my self smoking carterhall more than prince albert right now i have about 8 14oz tubs of carter hall and 3 14oz tubs of prince albert and both are really good blends and you can't beat the price on it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

Number of posts: 468
Registration date: 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:45 am

Being a burley fan from way, way back CH is first then PA and now I've
added Butternut burley for an aeromatic blend.

I can puff CH all day long but when I stop and rest I want my PA for
a friendly smoke. The BB is working it's way up to be my favorite after
dinner or visit with friends tobacco.

Oh, life is sooooooooooo good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

Number of posts: 195
Tobacco: Burly
Pipe: Peterson 80s
Registration date: 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:40 pm

I have to go with CH, though honestly its mostly because it was my grandpa's blend of choice. Both are great with black coffee in the morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strongirish

Number of posts: 176
Tobacco: Escudo, Union Square, this week!
Pipe: Jan P and Son, Willmers, Caminetto's, Peterson's and old estates.
Registration date: 2009-04-03

PostSubject: CH or PA   Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Wow, that's a tough one. I like both. If pressed I would say CH as it is a good mixer with other blends. But I like to start my day with PA. Another good one is Five Brothers, I usually end my day with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Number of posts: 207
Registration date: 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 am

Six months ago, I would have said the Prince. Lately, however it's been the Carter. What about the Sir?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

Number of posts: 655
Pipe: Blatter Slight Bent Smooth
Registration date: 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:53 am

I've never seen any of them up here. When Rich gets his big tubs back in stock at 4noggins, I think I'm going to have to start stocking up on some bulk purchases, and these would definitely be on the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

Number of posts: 435
Registration date: 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 am

PA is the current winner of the 2 for me, but just by a nose. Both great OTC blends...

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J_Rock

Number of posts: 522
Registration date: 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:33 pm

Man that is a tough call there. I like both. Carter Hall is a tad sweeter to my taste. I always have a tub of both on hand. I am smoking alot of PA right now. I go in cycles between the two.

My favorite thing to do with PA is I take a tin of McClelland #27 and rub it out fully and mix it 60% McClelland and 40% PA. I jar it and let it sit for a month then fire it up. That is such a good smoke!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SailorJack

Number of posts: 460
Tobacco: SHPC VR Blend
C&D Poplar Camp
C&D Opening Night

Pipe: Custom Todd Bannard Plateau Horn
Peterson Donegal Rocky XL02
Registration date: 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:49 pm

You know I have never smoked either but I have smoked quite a bit of Sugar Barrel which like CH is made by Middleton. It must be very similar to CH but maybe a little sweeter. It is not however as sweet as the name suggests. After you open the tub up let it sit for awhile and the sweetness will subside quite a bit and the smoke will become buttery and yummy! Sugar Barrel is still my favorite Burley. I bought a pound of Butternut Burley recently and I still like the SB better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Number of posts: 6388
Tobacco: Mostly simple burleys these days
Pipe: Stanwells and Petersons
Registration date: 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Funny. Every WalMart, supermarket and cigarette joint in town carries PA but none carry Carter Hall. I'm going to have to wait until I put in an order with an online vendor, but I will try it as soon as I can.

These are horrible times and all sorts of horrible people are prospering, but we must never let this disturb our equanimity or deflect us from our sacred duty to annoy and hinder them at every turn.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
J_Rock

Number of posts: 522
Registration date: 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:29 pm

SailorJack wrote:
You know I have never smoked either but I have smoked quite a bit of Sugar Barrel which like CH is made by Middleton. It must be very similar to CH but maybe a little sweeter. It is not however as sweet as the name suggests. After you open the tub up let it sit for awhile and the sweetness will subside quite a bit and the smoke will become buttery and yummy! Sugar Barrel is still my favorite Burley. I bought a pound of Butternut Burley recently and I still like the SB better.

Wow.....never had Sugar Barrel. I have never seen it. I had to google it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

Number of posts: 195
Tobacco: Burly
Pipe: Peterson 80s
Registration date: 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Prince Albert or Carter Hall?   Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Funny. Every WalMart, supermarket and cigarette joint in town carries PA but none carry Carter Hall. I'm going to have to wait until I put in an order with an online vendor, but I will try it as soon as I can.
Same here in the Denver area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Prince Albert or Carter Hall?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next