HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Yup. And thanks. Smile

My advice, catch this sh$t before it happens!

Our legislature can initiate, pass and implement laws in less than a day if they want. They are not required to consult constituents, nor report these laws to the media. In the official press release given to the media, ONLY the cigarette tax was mentioned. It's too late now to change this, basically. I can only sound pissed off.

If I had the money, I could go to court, but I don't, so I can't haha!

Write as soon as ya hear. We end up playing catch up, and trying to fight after laws have been passed, and it's a losing battle. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:52 pm

HistoryMajor wrote:

Sad

Ask Chris how many times he's been fined. Ask him about his experience of going to court. Ask him about the threats he had, to "revoke" his license to sell tobacco...

you can't win Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
HistoryMajor wrote:

Sad

Ask Chris how many times he's been fined. Ask him about his experience of going to court. Ask him about the threats he had, to "revoke" his license to sell tobacco...

you can't win Sad

Yeah, its sad, all that to defend the right to sell a product to people who accept whatever risks are associated with it's consumption. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:34 pm

So to update, I went and saw Chris today. I bought an ounce of tobacco, a tin of small cigars, and some beedis for a friend.

Total of 40ish dollars. The ounce of pipe tobacco was 16.95 or so, up from 12.92.

Yes, the tax increase affects all loose tobacco, tinned tobacco is included in this.

What Chris said about the tax itself is that he thinks it was a clerical decision, not an actual political move. Meaning, someone looked at the tax on loose tobacco, and figured it wouldn't be a big deal to jack it up. There was no conscious effort, other than it looked like a decent way to make money. He also thinks there are going to be a wealth of problems, because we will have cross provincial border smuggling now, much like the trouble with different levels of state taxation in the U.S. He figures it can't be good for business, his costs of keeping a stock of pipe tobacco has gone up around 5000 CAD.

Anyhow, that's what I found out today. I'm gonna have to go try the tobacco I bought, that part's still fun even if it was so expensive. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:54 pm

kilted1 wrote:
cheers cheers cheers BRAVO HM Very well done young man!!! cheers cheers cheers

Absolutely!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:57 pm

EJinVA wrote:
Damn good letter there HistoryMajor, I wish you folks luck with it all.
Let this be a lesson to those of us here in the U.S. of A. to write to those in charge, make the phone calls send that email, make some noise.

If not we are and still very well could end up like our brothers North of the border!

Ain't all you folks that voted for change proud! Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 pm

I also stopped in today and bought some tobacco HM. I must have missed you by an hour or so. The summerland is a decent smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Eric Melby just contacted me and updated the Tax-Calculator on his site with the new Alberta taxes... thanks Eric. Eric used to live in Edmonton and is now in BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

PostSubject: Re: A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices   Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 pm

Quote :
I must have missed you by an hour or so. The summerland is a decent smoke.
Probably. I was in from 1:45-2:30ish I think. I picked up some of the Okanogan. Seems pretty good so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A Practical Guide to Future Tobacco Prices
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2