HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guanxi88

Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

All kidding aside, please welcome back a former pipe smoker who switched over, in a moment of madness, from his Peterson and Balkan Sobranie (the death of which affected me deeply) to Winstons. Lost my old Peterson (a Dublin, three hundred series - the perfect pipe to tuck into a coat pocket) and still mourn it.

Well, I'm back in the fold, and hoping my straying from the paths of pipe-smoking righteousness may, in time, be forgiven.

Very interested in the old OTC burleys, thinking that the durability and longevity of these tobaccos must be indicative of their meeting a fundamental need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stefanos

Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Welcome! Pipes are a lot saner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Welcome back brother!
We'll keep you on the straight & narrow. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Welcome!

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Guanxi88

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:43 pm

Stefanos wrote:
Welcome! Pipes are a lot saner.

Sane is the word for it. Still can't believe I ever got started on the sticks. "They're just easier to carry around," I told myself. Yeah, so's arsenic.

I'll say this, too: Even the lowliest OTC pipe tobacco, smoked out of the cheapest cob pipe, beats the finest, most costly cigarette six days a week and twice on Sunday.

Now, if I can just find something that meets my craving for what you folks call "vitamin N', this cig junky can stay clean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SailorJack

Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:56 pm

The 'Prodigal Son' returns to his senses and to the love of briar. Toss away the coffin nails, sit back and have a nice relaxing pipe and contemplate the meaning of life or just nothing at all. It's all good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:00 pm

Welcome back to the fold! It's like riding a bike--you never forget.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Welcome to B&B! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Welcome aboard Guanxi! And yes there is a reason that the old OTC blends are still around. Might I suggest that you try the oldest and grandest of them all, John Middleton Walnut that has been around since the mid to late 19th Century, blended from 7 of the world's finsest tobaccos! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Guanxi88

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Justpipes wrote:
Welcome aboard Guanxi! And yes there is a reason that the old OTC blends are still around. Might I suggest that you try the oldest and grandest of them all, John Middleton Walnut that has been around since the mid to late 19th Century, blended from 7 of the world's finsest tobaccos! Very Happy

Yes, I've heard some interesting things about Walnut; it's on my 'to burn' list. Just mow, I'm experimenting with a plug tobacco I'd read something about. I've cut it, 50%, with some dried-out old CH, to improve handling qualities.

I'm on the end of day one of the plug drying (takes forever, even sliced paper thin); as soon as I'm more or less satisfied with it, I'll blend it with the PA, let it sit for a bit, and see what I've got.

Love the look of the plug slices, and hope this will be a cheapo intro to the esoteric joys of plug tobacco in a pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raevans

Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:53 am

Hello and welcome!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:02 am

Welcome back, I too made a years long shortcut to cigarettes, while never completely giving up the pipe, I seldom smoked it. I've been completely cigarette free for over three years now, and fell much better for it. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LtMac

Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:14 am

Hello and welcome!

LtMac
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:38 am

Greetings and welcome to the BoB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 am

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:29 pm

A warm welcome Guanxi.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:40 pm

(I really must start posting in these threads more...) hello and welcome to the brothers of briar! Sit, stay, and have a smoke. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com

Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1