HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Antique Hoosier

Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Hello Gentlemen. I'm Mike and I live in Tampa, Florida finally getting around to exploring the world of pipes at the ripe old age of 48! I have had an interest for some time now but have not pulled the trigger on an involvement until now. I trust from lurking prior to registering that I have found one of the better places on the net. Growing up in rural Indiana, both my father and grandfather smoked pipes. I'm looking forward to getting off to a good start and developing a knowledge and enjoying the smoking of a pipe. I will appreciate any advice and help along the way. Now, its time to read and search and ask some questions from experienced Brothers of Briar!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Hello and welcome! There is much knowledge to be gained for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:35 pm

A warm welcome Mike.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:49 pm

Hello and Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Howdy and welcome to BoB!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Welcome to BoB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Welcome aboard Mike! Glad to have you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
FibberMcGee

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:04 am

Welcome to BoB. I am a noob here too. I am from Indiana too, but I live near Philadelphia now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raevans

Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:14 am

Hello Mike, and welcome.

Randy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Antique Hoosier

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:25 am

Thank you Gentlemen! I am hoping to check out Edwards Pipe & Tobacco here in Tampa soon. They have 40 years of service under their belt and supposedly a really excellent selection of pipes and custom blended tobacco. Tampa is primarily a Cigar town of course.... but I'm told that Manny at Edwards is a real pipe guru! Thanks again for the warm welcome! Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:42 am

Welcome, Mike. Glad you're here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:51 am

Antique Hoosier wrote:
Thank you Gentlemen! I am hoping to check out Edwards Pipe & Tobacco here in Tampa soon. They have 40 years of service under their belt and supposedly a really excellent selection of pipes and custom blended tobacco. Tampa is primarily a Cigar town of course.... but I'm told that Manny at Edwards is a real pipe guru! Thanks again for the warm welcome! Mike

Edward's in Tampa is an awesome shop! I have visited it a few times. The one in Lakeland is great too if you can get other there. They both will point you in the right direction. The Edward's House pipes are excellent values. Also, another great shop near you in Sarasota is Bennington's. Benningtons Website It is a great pipe shop and they have some excellent house blends.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:05 am

Welcome, Mike! You've come to the right place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
SailorJack

Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Good to have you onboard Mike!! Don't be afraid to ask questions. We won't bite. This bunch is always very willing to help out our fellow brothers. Enjoy the voyage, it is definitely worth the price of admission.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Welcome to the BoB! Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Welcome to the board!

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
richmondesi

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Welcome Hoosier Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Antique Hoosier

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks gentlemen! I really have enjoyed searching the BoB database and learning learning learning. I love the search function on forums, but I may occassionally have a question for the "elders" in this hobby. I'm just hopeful that I can control my acquisition disorders when it comes to pipes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:08 am

Antique Hoosier wrote:
I'm just hopeful that I can control my acquisition disorders when it comes to pipes!

You might as well forget that! Laughing
Back to top Go down
TallSmoke

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Antique Hoosier wrote:
I'm just hopeful that I can control my acquisition disorders when it comes to pipes!

We may need to start a support group or something for this. I am relapsing a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
J_Rock

Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Welcome!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: PAD control   Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Antique Hoosier wrote:

There are two main ways to control PAD, neither eliminate it.
One way is to specialize, which makes you a "collector" instead of just another accumulator (I am an accumulator, no organization to my acquisitions, other than the search for good smoking pipes). Typically you pick a maker or a shape, etc. to collect and limit yourself to those purchases. Mind you it can still get pricey if you were to choose to specialize in "straight grain Dunhills" for example.
The second way to limit yourself, has less to do with the number of pipes, and more to do with cost. I have a limited budget, so rule number one is stick to your budget (if only the government would learn this basic lesson). Rule two I buy used and buy only what I expect to want to smoke. I bought one pipe last week, first acquisition in many weeks. There were two other pipes at the same location I would liked to have picked up, but that would have exceed my P&T budget for the week. So I only ended up with one, a 1969 Dunhill Shell #249, santa and stayed within budget ($30.00).
Hey the budget has to allow for tobacco too, in a country where even an OTC package of tobacco like Captain Black costs $18.00 and tinned tobacco is $30.00, you have to count all your costs!

Have fun and ask questions,
Al
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Antique Hoosier

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Al in Canada wrote:
Antique Hoosier wrote:

There are two main ways to control PAD, neither eliminate it.
One way is to specialize, which makes you a "collector" instead of just another accumulator (I am an accumulator, no organization to my acquisitions, other than the search for good smoking pipes). Typically you pick a maker or a shape, etc. to collect and limit yourself to those purchases. Mind you it can still get pricey if you were to choose to specialize in "straight grain Dunhills" for example.
The second way to limit yourself, has less to do with the number of pipes, and more to do with cost. I have a limited budget, so rule number one is stick to your budget (if only the government would learn this basic lesson). Rule two I buy used and buy only what I expect to want to smoke. I bought one pipe last week, first acquisition in many weeks. There were two other pipes at the same location I would liked to have picked up, but that would have exceed my P&T budget for the week. So I only ended up with one, a 1969 Dunhill Shell #249, santa and stayed within budget ($30.00).
Hey the budget has to allow for tobacco too, in a country where even an OTC package of tobacco like Captain Black costs $18.00 and tinned tobacco is $30.00, you have to count all your costs!

Have fun and ask questions,
Al

Al....GREAT suggestions!!! Now All I have to do is......more research!!!! ( and find out what I really want!) I believe it will be to own a couple really nice vintage pipes that would be considered like classic automobiles.... What are the top 5 makers that would be CLASSICS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: PAD controls   Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:33 pm

"Al....GREAT suggestions!!! Now All I have to do is......more research!!!! ( and find out what I really want!) I believe it will be to own a couple really nice vintage pipes that would be considered like classic automobiles.... What are the top 5 makers that would be CLASSICS?"

Oh that there were a simple answer to that question, but there isn't. The nice thing about buying used/estate pipes is that you can afford to make a few mistakes. You can get a selection of pipes and decide which shapes and sizes suit you.

I have decided that I don't care much for filter pipes, with the exception of Brighams, and I would try a Savinelli with the balsa filter if it came along. I have a couple of EA Carey "Magic Inch" pipes, but that is not a true "filter" pipe, rather a moisture trapping pipe. But I tried filter pipes to reach that conclusion.

I look carefully at pipes I find, and of course i look at the markings, but sometimes you won't recognize the name, or it won't telegraph who made it./ this is especially true of "private branded" pipes (made as premiums or for sale through one store or chain of stores). Somehow good pipes call to me through the dirt and dust they are often coated with. Of the 5 Dunhills I own, two weren't identified as such until i got them home and cleaned up, and a third pipe which I suspected might be another in the same buy turned out to be a very nice Saseni.

If you want a longer answer go to my posting at: http://pipes.forumeiro.org/estate-pipe-discussion-f9/the-joys-of-pipe-hunting-t20.htm

Happy hunting,
Al
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:21 am

I guess I missed your original post, anyway Welcome to the Brotherhood!
Back to top Go down

New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next