HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:40 am

Welcome Mike! Your journey is just starting! It can be a bit overwealming in the begining. There's lots of pipes and tobaccos to try. Do your best to keep it simple. Opt for medium english blends and straight pipes. Properly cleaned estate/used pipes are a great way to save 40-50% and build a nice rotation.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. Everyone here has been where you are now at one time or another...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
richmondesi

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:06 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
Welcome Mike! Your journey is just starting! It can be a bit overwealming in the begining. There's lots of pipes and tobaccos to try. Do your best to keep it simple. Opt for medium english blends and straight pipes. Properly cleaned estate/used pipes are a great way to save 40-50% and build a nice rotation.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. Everyone here has been where you are now at one time or another...

It's not just overwhelming, it's so overwhelming that it is almost hard to get started... yet, I've managed tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Antique Hoosier

Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm going to keep my expenses within reason here. ( Unlike my shaving items). Two pipes now, The Edwards "bargain basket" and a Carey estate pipe from ebay for a whopping $6.50 shipped. The Carey is the type of pipe that I could take when I go fishing and if it fell in the water, I'd say "oh well". I have smoked it 3 times in the last two days and it was definately worth $6.50. It actually was on the way via ebay just prior to my not having the willpower to avoid Edwards.

I'm going to make ONE more pipe purchase.... and call it a day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HoosierPuffer

Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:35 pm

Welcome, Antique Hoosier!

I think I know you from that "other" forum which has also plagued me with multiple acquisition disorders.

I'm one pretty diseased guy by now Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: EA Carey   Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:04 am

Antique Hoosier wrote:
I'm going to keep my expenses within reason here. ( Unlike my shaving items). Two pipes now, The Edwards "bargain basket" and a Carey estate pipe from ebay for a whopping $6.50 shipped. The Carey is the type of pipe that I could take when I go fishing and if it fell in the water, I'd say "oh well". I have smoked it 3 times in the last two days and it was definately worth $6.50. It actually was on the way via ebay just prior to my not having the willpower to avoid Edwards.

I'm going to make ONE more pipe purchase.... and call it a day.

Did your Carey come with the paper "socks"? I'm assuming it is a "Magic Inch" pipe. I have two that came into my hands by chance, where I bought a lot to get something else and there they were. They didn't quite smoke right, unless I held my fingers over the slots, the draw just wasn't right. Then I found out they were supposed to have these little paper sleeves, and I got some of those, in another lot, and voila, the draw problem was cured. I don't know if retailers around you carry them, but Carey runs a shop on the net as well as a b&m operation.http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/

Happy puffin'
Al in Canada
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Antique Hoosier

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:15 am

Al in Canada wrote:

Did your Carey come with the paper "socks"?
Al in Canada

Al...you are correct and I noticed the "slots" and figured it got some kind of filter. have smoked it 3 times and it was fine... a little gurgling but that is because I'm new to the game. I will check on the socks.... I'd hate to spend more in paper than the whole thing cost shipped! LOL

I purchased my last pipe just a bit ago. I liked the strange shape and finish on this one so I made an ebay purchase. Posting the completed ebay auction here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350193011397
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: EA Carey   Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:40 am

Interesting, either a Dublin or a billiard, I think. Be interesting to see if there is any markings.
Lots of sites with pipe shapes, such as:
http://fujipub.com/ooops/pipeshap.html#menuidentifying

Happy puffin'
Al in Canada
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stefanos

Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Welcome! This is a great place to be!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Welcome aboard, AH! I think you will find this bunch to be helpful, instructive, amusing, and downright hilarious. There are some very knowledgable pipesters here -- don't hesitate to ask any and all questions. Above all, have fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Antique Hoosier

PostSubject: Re: New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!   Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 pm

Haven't checked back with your guys for awhile now. I am happily smoking my Pre-War Custombilt and appear to have any pipe acquisition disorder in check. I occassionally smoke my original pipe that I bought from Edwards Pipe & Tobacco Shop in Tampa as well. Three other ebay estate pipes don't see much use between my two favorites! Still, I am really enjoying the experience....glad I found the place!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2