HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New guy says hi!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
midstream

Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:16 pm

Looks like a great site, looking forward to the brotherhood. I am 51, long time pipe smoker preferring Dunhill 120s and Balkan Sobranie or other heavy latakia blends. Now if I can just learn to smoke a pipe while fly fishing and not drop it in the water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm

Welcome!

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Welcome to BoB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
raevans

Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello and welcome. You may want to talk with Mark Tinsky on the art of fly fishing while smoking. I'm sure he can give you some pointers on keeping your pipe dry. Smile

Randy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stefanos

Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:38 pm

midstream wrote:
Now if I can just learn to smoke a pipe while fly fishing and not drop it in the water.

True multitasking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LtMac

Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Hello and welcome!

LtMac
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Welcome to BoB!. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Welcome aboard Stream!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Hello and Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Welcome to BoB!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:55 am

Hello & Welcome!
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:38 pm

Welcome to BoB cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FibberMcGee

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Welcome to the brotherhood!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Greetings, Mid-Stream, and welcome to the BoB forum. I too am a fly fisherman, and I have yet to figure out how to smoke and fish at the same time. Personally, I feel that the two are somewhat incongruent, in that fly fishing takes extreme concentration and I don't like to fiddle around with a pipe when I am stalking the wary trouties. Instead, fish hard, then take a sit, streamside, and enjoy a mellow, tasty smoke while you rest the hole. Very enjoyable, and much better than trying to do both at once, at least for me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:55 pm

About the only way I've found to fly fish and smoke a pipe at the same time and NOT end in disaster is while float tubing in quiet waters. I spend a lot of the mid summer in Georgia on a quiet private lake, roll casting bass bugs and poppers along the shore line and stumps. With the right line weight, taper and tippet/leader combination this is nearly effortless. Just don't bite down too hard when you have a good sized bass on, you might snap your stem!

I've not had any success at all trying to wade a stream and fish for trout, as Trout Bum said, it requires too much concentration, and one misstep and your pipe (and yourself) could go for an um-welcomed swim. My float tube method might work on really slow sections of river, but is doubtful in good riffles or rapids. Laughing

There is always this character to read, maybe he has some notes on the subject cheers

Sparse Grey Hackle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Kilted -- I am unfamiliar with this writer, which is fairly surprising, as I have read most of the usual suspects, such as Geriach, Traver, McGuane, Wulff, Grey, Lyons, etc. I will have to check this guy out, based solely on the ULTRA-CLASSIC photo you posted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
midstream

Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Sparse Grey Hackle goes way back. I have just purchased a few pipes and implements from the estate of Mel Krieger. I wish I had fished half the places these pipes have seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:28 pm

You purchased estate pipes formerly owned/smoked/fished by Mel Krieger??!!?
Wow, that is super cool! What kind of pipes, as in makes, shapes, etc?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Trout Bum wrote:
Kilted -- I am unfamiliar with this writer, which is fairly surprising, as I have read most of the usual suspects, such as Geriach, Traver, McGuane, Wulff, Grey, Lyons, etc. I will have to check this guy out, based solely on the ULTRA-CLASSIC photo you posted!

Sparse Grey Hackle is one a collection of fly fishermen from the greater NYC area who frequently fished in the Catskills starting in the late 1800s and moving up through the 1940s-50s where my Dad grew up. They fished and chronicled their adventures, and methods in various periodicals, magazines and books. My Dad sent me a copy of Catskill Rivers: Birthplace of American Fly Fishing a couple of years ago, and this is where I first read about Sparse Grey Hackle. These men (and women!) were characters, but did much to help establish the art for the American Angler, adopting mainly English and German Flies, rods, and techniques for American waters. The history of our sport is fascinating and occupies a great deal of my 3 month long 'off season'.

My Dad was raised in Margrettsville on the East Branch of the Delaware River. He fished many of these same rivers growing up, in the 1930s - 40s the Beaverkill, Willowemoc Creek, Neversink River, Esopus Creek and others. He fished with bamboo (split cane) and early fiberglass fly rods. He's now nearly 80 years old and hasn't fished in many years, a shame really, as he never taught me anything about fly fishing. His lessons for us kids were cane poles and a coffee can full of night crawlers. I guess he didn't have the patience for teaching fly fishing techniques to three growing boys.

As I understand things those rivers he fished as a boy, now are very over populated by people during trout season and you must fish shoulder to shoulder with others, not a pleasant prospect to my mind. I crave solitude and big water, someday I hope to fish western waters, but my wind technique needs LOTS of work first. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:02 pm

midstream wrote:
Sparse Grey Hackle goes way back. I have just purchased a few pipes and implements from the estate of Mel Krieger. I wish I had fished half the places these pipes have seen.

WOW! cheers Very cool indeed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:07 pm

It occurred to me that both Mark Tinsky and Rad Davis carve and smoke pipes, and have been known to fly fish a bit in their time. I know that Rad posts here infrequently and could be of assistance. Maybe a zinger style lanyard affixed to a yard pipe would work, the prospect of a vest full of hot ashes always scared me though Laughing Laughing

Last edited by kilted1 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:14 pm

Kilted -- thanks for the info on Sparse Grey Hackle; most interesting. And yes, our sport has an incredible history, as well as a deep literary canon. I have never fished Eastern waters, but I can tell you that Western fly fishing is unbelievable. There are the famous waters, the Big Hole, the Frying Pan, etc, and they can get crowded too. However, there are a lot of streams (and I mean a lot), and it is very easy to get away and see few to no anglers. I fished just the other day, just me and my dog, and caught some really nice browns and rainbows. I did not see one other angler in four hours of fishing. During that stretch I happened on a MONSTER rainbow holding in about three feet of water. I am talking about a trout in the ten to twelve pound class, and in a fairly small stream at that. I sight fished to this leviathon for, oh, maybe three or four minutes before he felt the pressure and melted away into the plunge falls at the head of the small pool I was fishing. Incredible, I tell you! At any rate, thanks again for posting the info. Our local rivers are now high and off-color with spring run off, so no fishing for a while...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:17 pm

kilted1 wrote:
It occurred to me the both Mark Tinsky and Rad Davis carve and smoke pipes, and have been known to fly fish a bit in their time. I know that Rad posts here infrequently and could be of assistance. Maybe a zinger style lanyard affixed to a yard pipe would work, the prospect of a vest full of hot ashes always scared me though Laughing Laughing

Both Tinsky (I've actually traded some midge patterns with him) and Davis are serious fisherman; I believe Rad used to be a guide and commercial tyer. As for fishing pipes, JM Boswell makes them. They are small, and affixed to a lanyard, and have some sort of wind cap/topper. I have never used one, but they look pretty sweet. You can check them out on his site in the "gallery."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: New guy says hi!   Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:03 pm

After smacking my pipe so many times while landing a trout I unofficially gave up fishing and pipe smoking a few years back. But every spring when I begin to cast that line again I officially try it again, with the same results. Sigh.

I love to wade the trout streams here in NC. I have to be moving in the water. I can't stand to fish in one spot. I want to try every little run, get up under every rock and log, try every little swell.

I don't fish too much in the summer when school is out. The streams are packed. I go in the spring and fall. At least then i can find a few quiet spots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com

New guy says hi!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: