HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Neill Roan announced today that he will no longer post on his blog "A Pasion For Pipes". If you're a fan of the blog (as I am) PLEASE post a message for Neill there asking him to reconsider this decision!

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/A_Passion_for_Pipes/Welcome.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 pm

I like reading his stuff and it will be missed by many. Do you know why he's giving it up? Wasn't very clear in his last post and the rest seem to have already been removed from his site.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 pm

I posted a comment. Hate that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:16 pm

That is a shame! Hopefully he will reconsider.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Sad indeed. Comment posted. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 pm

I have always enjoyed that which Neill wrote. I hope for that opportunity again in the future.

This mode of communication can be a blunt instrument sometimes. It does not convey expression well. Well, in this case, meaning. That some use the written word better than others. I found Neill to always be very precise.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 pm

What a travesty. I left a comment for Neill, I learned much from his blog and I thoroughly enjoyed his writing style and his superb photography, he also took time to personally answer my e-mail queries. I would love to find out the events that lead Neill to take the decision to end his wonderful blog......Please reconsider ZULU
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:22 am

I am beyond saddened by his decision. I know that the last post was something to do with the Bruce Weaver McDonald Bulldog that Dock commissioned, however what happened in the comments dialog seemed to spark a fire that ultimately pushed Neil over the edge.

It is trult a huge loss for the community. I am even more saddened that the archive is no longer available. That archive of information was invaluable to this community.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
john-in-kc

Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Whatever happened, it was enough for Neill to pull his archives altogether.

I obviously cannot speak for Neill, but I have a sense of the "Cigar Aficionado" 95 lemming attacks from the cigar craze era of 1994-97 or so. CA would publish some cigar got a mega-score, right, wrong or indifferent, and everyone would be out to buy THAT cigar. Never mind it wasn't really for me, if I didn't have it, I was wrong.

There's a lot of good wood out there. There's a lot of experimental wood being marketed, and with prices expected, of good-fantastic wood. That's wrong. An apprentice should not expect to show the artistry of a master, nor should he expect to command the fees of a master. When he does, he will.

Neill, and the community, should have been given the freedom to call a spade a spade. It's one man's POV. That's kinda sorta critical in our hobby: We are individuals. What works for me won't for Dock or Aaron. That's OK. When we decide we all have to be in step, we as a community are breaking the only rule I know of for pipe smoking and collecting: Smoke/collect what YOU enjoy, ENJOY what you smoke/collect.

My thoughts on the matter. Smoke in peace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:42 am

Very well put John. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm just starting to feel my way around the blog scene.I'm sure that there are many that I'm not aware of yet.From reading these posts I get the feeling that I've missed out on something good.It's sad that it's come to an end.It sounds as if the archives would be worth leaving for those like myself to read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm not looking to rehash the whole arguement. Truthfully I never read another comment on the inital McDonald/Weaver blog that Neill wrote but I heard it got very testy. A trusted friend called me and gave me the high/low lights of it all. On my end I see no problem at all with what I did. I saw a pipe from a maker who's work is in high demand and nearly out of reach at the moment and had another maker make a variation of it. From the inital blog is seemed to me that neither Adam Davidson nor Neill were very upset about my commission with Weaver. As a matter of fact Neill sent me a private message through Smoker's Forums to tell me he was writing the blog and that it would be good publicity for Bruce Weaver. I read the blog and was very pleased with it and never gave it another thought. Now I hear that some folks were accusing both Bruce and I of some sort of plagerism! How proposterous is this! Bo Nordh made the original Ramses shape and it's been copied from everyone from Red Hat to Brian Ruthenberg! Nearly all Danish pipes were and still are inspired from Sixten Ivarsson's creations including the original freehand which was made by EVERYONE in the 1970's!

These are the last comments that I'm going make publicly about this whole matter. To me it's all much to do about nothing! Neither I nor Bruce did ANYTHING wrong!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
john-in-kc

Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Dock,

Agree. Who you choose to carve what pipe is your own choice. There is nothing wrong with pipemaker X doing an interpretation of pipemaker Y's shape. All the more so since Bruce has a good day job, and pipemaking is a hobby.

Oh, well, we have idiots savant amongst our lemmings. If they don't understand that it's your money, well, that's what the Rubber Room here is for.

Rule 1, always Rule 1. If anyone objects to Rule 1, they can go buy a pack of Marlboros or some overexpensive stick.

Sheesh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Dock, some folks like to feel that they have a right to inflict their own opinion on others under the guise of scruples. Last time I checked, nobody had a patent on a pipe shape. Not only do we not need a nanny state in this hobby, we don't need to be unduly pressuring up and coming artists with foolish limitations. I thought that pipe of yours was not only a nod of respect towards the original design creator (who would want to use a crappy looking pipe as inspiration?) but a great piece of work by one of the nicer, fresher minds in the game today.

Pipe and cigar smokers are like hunters and target shooters - we have a hard enough time as it is without adding foolish fragmentation in what is basically a homogeneous realm. We need unity to survive. A separatist mentality is suicidal.

LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:54 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Dock, some folks like to feel that they have a right to inflict their own opinion on others under the guise of scruples. Last time I checked, nobody had a patent on a pipe shape. Not only do we not need a nanny state in this hobby, we don't need to be unduly pressuring up and coming artists with foolish limitations. I thought that pipe of yours was not only a nod of respect towards the original design creator (who would want to use a crappy looking pipe as inspiration?) but a great piece of work by one of the nicer, fresher minds in the game today.

Pipe and cigar smokers are like hunters and target shooters - we have a hard enough time as it is without adding foolish fragmentation in what is basically a homogeneous realm. We need unity to survive. A separatist mentality is suicidal.
Yep. Well said, Mr. Daddy.

I don't know which is more disappointing... that someone would raise the shout of "plagiarism," or that someone would pay attention to it once it was. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:24 am

Doc, I believe that the only people who should of had a problem with your commission would have been Neill or Adam, and apparently that wasn't the case. Its unfortunate though that so many people will be affected for the actions (comments) of a few. Hopefully Neill will reconsider, those that have a negative opinion will fall away and the rest of us will continue to read and contribute to his wonderful blog. Smoke in peace Brother...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZuluCollector

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"   Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:24 am

Dock,

The reasons for my pulling the site down have been misrepresented to you.

I will send you the entire thread with comments and you can read it all for yourself.

Neill
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.apassionforpipes.com

The End of "A Passion 4 Pipes"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1