HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Smokers Forum Closing Down

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 10, 2009 7:49 pm

kilted1 wrote:
Thanks Hermit,

I was an undesirable long ago, for reasons that I wasn't even made aware of, just found out one day that I could no longer log in. No warning or explanation was ever offered, nothing. So I moved on, some years later, someone on ASP chat mentioned BoB and thought I might like it. That's how I got here. In the intervening years between SF and BoB I've heard many a story about people being treated as I was, bounced without notice or warning, and heard much about the heavy moderation and controls within that community.

I hope that they take a slightly 'new' direction, and that their community can rebuild or whatever. It sure didn't and wouldn't work for me, I'm very glad wisdom prevails here, and allows us a free exchange of thoughts and ideas, without worry of public chastisement or being banned.

Yes, were are "brothers" in this event. I too am banned at SF for no documented reason.

This is what I get when I try to log into SF.....
"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

The heavy handed moderation has run off more members than SF will admit to. Rolling Eyes
Having to walk on eggshells on a public free forum is very much uncalled for
but that mindset very much describe SF tactics. tongue

Do I have a small ax to grind with them......yep!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Buck wrote:
kilted1 wrote:
Thanks Hermit,

I was an undesirable long ago, for reasons that I wasn't even made aware of, just found out one day that I could no longer log in. No warning or explanation was ever offered, nothing. So I moved on, some years later, someone on ASP chat mentioned BoB and thought I might like it. That's how I got here. In the intervening years between SF and BoB I've heard many a story about people being treated as I was, bounced without notice or warning, and heard much about the heavy moderation and controls within that community.

I hope that they take a slightly 'new' direction, and that their community can rebuild or whatever. It sure didn't and wouldn't work for me, I'm very glad wisdom prevails here, and allows us a free exchange of thoughts and ideas, without worry of public chastisement or being banned.

Yes, were are "brothers" in this event. I too am banned at SF for no documented reason.

This is what I get when I try to log into SF.....
"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

The heavy handed moderation has run off more members than SF will admit to. Rolling Eyes
Having to walk on eggshells on a public free forum is very much uncalled for
but that mindset very much describe SF tactics. tongue

Do I have a small ax to grind with them......yep!

...........never mind! Sorry, Old Crow almost got me in trouble again! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 1:31 am

Guess I am better behaved than I thought. Never had a problem on SF. When I think tightly moderated I think Pipe.Org . Now that is heavy handed moderating. Post a question, it will show up the next day (if approved), post an answer, and wait another day for it to appear Evil or Very Mad
And I've seen members chastised for "welcoming" a new poster. This board is "only for the subject of pipes and tobacco". For shame, being "social" on our "factual" board

lol! lol! lol!
Given the huge history of postings and information it would have been a shame to lose all that if SF had closed down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruraldean

Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Just to clarify...   Mon May 11, 2009 4:25 am

The English and British things have no relevance in the shape and form of SF. Whatever his faults may be I've never had trouble with ronb, just his American Moderators. Ed Anderson sent me a PM because I'd followed up on someone else's reference to latex being used to cover the end of a rifle barrel in the Army. Some and made condom-related jokes without actually mentioning condoms, and I said that covering the ends of rifles would at least stop arms proliferation. not particularly funny, but frankly my dear... you get the rest.

Ed told me I had "brought the thread into the gutter" and in a further post insisted I apologise to him. WTF.

Ronb stepped in a calmed it down, although Ed tells me that a note of my actions is recorded on my file.

The American Christian Right Puritanism lies behind a lot of the inexplicable moderation. I'm still a member, although if anyone from there reads this thread I probably won't be. and for the record, I have nothing against Americans at all, just the loonies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://crimsonleaf.co.uk http://paulanthonydean.wordpress.com
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 am

Incidentally Ryan, there's a thread started about your mysterious disapperance with no explanation. Don't know if it will last long though.
Rural, I also don't think it's an American/ English thing at all. Yes, SF is pretty puritanical. Some folks think of it as polite though. Whatever. Personally, I'm glad it's back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 6:51 am

ruraldean wrote:
The English and British things have no relevance in the shape and form of SF. Whatever his faults may be I've never had trouble with ronb, just his American Moderators. Ed Anderson sent me a PM because I'd followed up on someone else's reference to latex being used to cover the end of a rifle barrel in the Army. Some and made condom-related jokes without actually mentioning condoms, and I said that covering the ends of rifles would at least stop arms proliferation. not particularly funny, but frankly my dear... you get the rest.

Ed told me I had "brought the thread into the gutter" and in a further post insisted I apologise to him. WTF.

Ronb stepped in a calmed it down, although Ed tells me that a note of my actions is recorded on my file.

The American Christian Right Puritanism lies behind a lot of the inexplicable moderation. I'm still a member, although if anyone from there reads this thread I probably won't be. and for the record, I have nothing against Americans at all, just the loonies.

LOL. I made a similar post in that thread and got read the same riot act. I pretty much immediately reduced my visits to SF and stopped posting. Life is way too short to walk on eggshells at SF. And now there are so many other options where you don't have to pretend you're a god-fearing eunuch with a dunghill stuck in your jaw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 8:32 am

ruraldean wrote:

Dont feel bad I got a warning for trying to be clean about the word I typed is types exactly as I typed it there the stars are mine not the censors

A***H****
Back to top Go down
ruraldean

Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 am

Muddler wrote:
Incidentally Ryan, there's a thread started about your mysterious disapperance with no explanation. Don't know if it will last long though.
Rural, I also don't think it's an American/ English thing at all. Yes, SF is pretty puritanical. Some folks think of it as polite though. Whatever. Personally, I'm glad it's back.

Oh I'm glad it continues, and good manners are the order of the day, but it was a complete bugger's muddle for 24 hours.

With regards to banned members, everyone seems to be denying a ban. Blackadder (221b Baker Street) feels he was banned, Ryan thinks he was banned, but no one including the mods over there accept they are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://crimsonleaf.co.uk http://paulanthonydean.wordpress.com
Mr_Jeff

Registration date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 8:57 am

There were a few of us that got burned in that latex thread. It barely qualified as blue humor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 9:19 am

woody wrote:
Quote: For the benefit of all those miscreants, scallywags, undesirables and foul mouth morons,
who have been banished from Smokers Forum, here is the announcement: end quote.

I think I'm going to like BoB - thanks for the smile Hermit

You forgot Outlaws that never were allowed in the first place. Guess I'm not as sentimental as everyone else. I here "they" did this, "they" didn't allow that. The only thing I can think of is: it is "THEIR" forum.

Makes me think of going to Burger King and ordering a Big Mac...
Back to top Go down
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 9:42 am

Texas Outlaw wrote:

Makes me think of going to Burger King and ordering a Big Mac...

Been there, done that. Reminds me of a prank I once heard and copied. I used to go in and order a hamburger with cheese. They would tell me I needed a cheeseburger. No, I would tell them, I want a hamburger with cheese. They finally asked why and I told them I prefer the white wrapping paper to the yellow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Bruche

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 11, 2009 10:09 am

Dave wrote:
[

Dont feel bad I got a warning for trying to be clean about the word I typed is types exactly as I typed it there the stars are mine not the censors

A***H****

Hey, I got tagged for something very similar... I guess that's why I'm seeing so many SFers here on BoB..?

At any rate, I think this is a very respectful and laid back Forum, thanks again for having me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bill

Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Smokers Forums will not be missed by a good many in the pipe smoking community. Good riddance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 17, 2009 10:29 pm

SF still seems to be up & running. If they were going to close shop, wouldn't it have happened by now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 17, 2009 10:44 pm

dougc905 wrote:
SF still seems to be up & running. If they were going to close shop, wouldn't it have happened by now?

Actually no.
It was gonna close in several months when the money ran out.
It has since changed hands and will sally forth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Well, I for one am happy that all of you "bad actors" have found a new home here! Let's raise the jolly roger high folks! We are officially the scallywags of the pipe world!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Bill

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Hermit wrote:
dougc905 wrote:

Actually no.
It was gonna close in several months when the money ran out.
It has since changed hands and will sally forth.

Eh, rain in my parade why don't ya...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 17, 2009 11:29 pm

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bill

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Sun May 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Well, I would like to think that new ownership of SF *might* eliminate the nazi like atmosphere there but only time will tell. If I read it correctly, Art (the tamper guy) now runs the show?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 18, 2009 12:38 am

Bill wrote:
Well, I would like to think that new ownership of SF *might* eliminate the nazi like atmosphere there but only time will tell. If I read it correctly, Art (the tamper guy) now runs the show?

Hi Bill,

That's a different Art. It's not Mingkahuna Art.

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
Bill

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 18, 2009 12:51 am

Rad Davis wrote:
Bill wrote:

Hi Bill,

That's a different Art. It's not Mingkahuna Art.

Rad

Hey ya Rad,

Thanks. By the way, if that cad Tinsky hasn't given you a Farside "School for the Gifted" mug, I have one. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Mon May 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Bill wrote:
Smokers Forums will not be missed by a good many in the pipe smoking community. Good riddance.

DITTO!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woody

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Wed May 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Bill wrote:
I would like to think that new ownership of SF *might* eliminate the nazi like atmosphere there but only time will tell.

no they haven't. jeeps!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strongirish

Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: SF   Fri May 29, 2009 10:17 am

I have read all the posts on this and I have to say, it makes me chuckle. I don't see where anything has changed there with new adm., if anything much stricter. I am seeing many old buddies here and I will get more active. I am a high poster at SF in the time I've been there and I have to admit I am more than nervous of the bans, warnings and such. I got a warning yesterday for recommending a PWW blend and stating how good she was at blending aromatics though I am not a fan of Carole herself. I figure one of the adm must smoke her blends. I stated I am not a fan because I have had terrible service from her and she is very moody at times. #191 sure is a good blend though if you are so inclined to aromatics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woody

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Fri May 29, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm in both too - but I find myself checking with Brothers more. Brothers has a little more edge - a little more variety in thought. It's not that SF isn't good - the repair section is where I've learned everything - and good people are at SF no doubt about it. But it's a little light on humor, perhaps baudy humor. I found a ebay description that was longer than my arm and it was crazy - so I cut and pasted for effect really. I got tagged for it. My fault I didn't read the posting rules - but my point was the description was so crazy that I posted as is - oh well - live and learn. Post got pulled but it was really funny stuff .... Perhaps Brothers is the Maxim of pipe smoking, and SF is the Good Housekeeping of pipe smoking - both good - but where would you go first? Just a personal opinion - probably an opinion I could not express on SF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Smokers Forum Closing Down
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next