HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Smokers Forum Closing Down

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Fri May 29, 2009 11:13 am

woody wrote:
Perhaps Brothers is the Maxim of pipe smoking, and SF is the Good Housekeeping of pipe smoking - both good - but where would you go first? Just a personal opinion - probably an opinion I could not express on SF.

"probably an opinion I could not express on SF." Herein lay the crux of the problem
at SF. They limit free speech. This among grown men is an insult. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strongirish

Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: SF   Fri May 29, 2009 11:23 am

I know what you mean Woody, I am even nervous posting my feelings here. I had them on my loading page on my computer but removed it after my warning yesterday. I really felt nit picked and it bothered me more than it should. I fell we are grown mostly mature men and some women and should be treated as such, not as kids. I have been on some forums where they go too far, but there needs to be a grey area and not all black and white. Life is too stressful as it is without feeling you can't be yourself on a forum. For many of us, I am disabled, it is the majority of our social interaction. We are among friends in a world that has turned it's back on smokers and we need to be able to relax. My warning really caught me off guard. All they had to do was send me a nice note stating not to say anything negative about her and I would have complied. Instead I get a stern warning and when I responded asking what i did, the answer back was curt and stiff. Oh well, I will have to be myself here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earl

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Fri May 29, 2009 11:53 am

woody wrote:
I'm in both too - but I find myself checking with Brothers more. Brothers has a little more edge - a little more variety in thought. It's not that SF isn't good - the repair section is where I've learned everything - and good people are at SF no doubt about it. But it's a little light on humor, perhaps baudy humor. I found a ebay description that was longer than my arm and it was crazy - so I cut and pasted for effect really. I got tagged for it. My fault I didn't read the posting rules - but my point was the description was so crazy that I posted as is - oh well - live and learn. Post got pulled but it was really funny stuff .... Perhaps Brothers is the Maxim of pipe smoking, and SF is the Good Housekeeping of pipe smoking - both good - but where would you go first? Just a personal opinion - probably an opinion I could not express on SF.

As I've noted before, I frequent SF & here. But. Woody, you're correct that SF, though populated with many fine folk, does seem to be a bit "stiff shirted" in terms of being light on humor, (if it exists there Very Happy ). earl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earl

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Gee, I might be hanging around here a bit more now. Just got the message when I attempted to access the SF site that I, too, had been banned. Pretty odd in my case since I've entirely behaved myself there. Inquired into this bit of oddness and will see if I get a response. All I can say is strange. What a Face earl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 pm

Your a trouble maker Earl... cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:15 pm

Earl, you are most welcome here among 'the damned' cheers lol!

Voted off the island ... and I don't know or care why Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earl

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:13 pm

How do you moon a website? Very Happy earl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:32 pm

earl wrote:
How do you moon a website? Very Happy earl

In ascii it goes something like ( o ) or ( | ) (the polite version) cheers Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:24 am

Earl, you violated the "Nice pipe!" minimum quota. Whenever anyone mentions a new pipe they got, even if it's a putrid old burned out cob held together with duct tape and baling wire, they're supposed to get a string of 47 "Nice pipe!" replies. In order to accomplish this, every member must contribute a minimum 2 dozen "Nice pipe!" comments or face banishment to BoB's Rubber Room Twisted Evil

puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:55 am

Nice Pipe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:13 am

Nice pipe cheers Oh WAIT I LIVE in the RUBBER ROOM affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earl

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:38 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Earl, you violated the "Nice pipe!" minimum quota. Whenever anyone mentions a new pipe they got, even if it's a putrid old burned out cob held together with duct tape and baling wire, they're supposed to get a string of 47 "Nice pipe!" replies. In order to accomplish this, every member must contribute a minimum 2 dozen "Nice pipe!" comments or face banishment to BoB's Rubber Room Twisted Evil
Are you serious? earl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:42 am

Mean Pipes Suck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 am

earl wrote:
Are you serious? earl

lol! Welcome to the rubber room Earl. Gotcha! Surprised Laughing

Send an email to the SF admin, it's prolly just a mistake (unless you said something derogatory about the queen or expressed your distatse for Erinmore or something like that scratch )

Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:06 am

By the way, the official required comment for the BoB Rubber Room is "Nice Butt!" Very Happy

Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:34 am

On a serious side, this just posted over at SF:

"Some members may have experienced that the IP address they use has been banned on SF, we have many listed spammers trying to join that use legit Internet Service Providers such as AOL, when a spammer is picked up, the IP address is placed on a banned list, unfortunately this can affect some members here on SF especially if the spammer is using for example AOL which has recently happened, this effectively bans all AOL IP addresses, we apologize for this and we ask you to contact us immediately if you are effected and we will endeavor to correct the problem as soon as possible, thanks for understanding."

earl

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:43 am

That makes more sense given I haven't been a bad boy. Laughing earl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
By the way, the official required comment for the BoB Rubber Room is "Nice Butt!" Very Happy

I wasn't aware of this item, and not sure I can say it with a straight face (take that either way you wish) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:10 pm

I previously posted there in "The Common Sewars" social club fairly regularly. Last week I canceled my membership and left the group. I won't go deeply into my reasons for doing so but it just got sort of stale. (I didn't fire off a long and self important farewell letter giving my reasons.I just turned and walked out the door) In general the group is geared to the ultra high end collector folks and as time passes for me in this hobby I'm realizing more and more that the tobacco that goes into the pipe is more important than the pipe itself. Sorry. Your Lars filled with "tobacco X" doesn't smoke much better than my old Stanwell filled with the same tobacco. I own great pipes! I've smoked great pipes. The difference in smoking quality is miniscule at best. Anyone who pays over a couple of hundred bucks is paying for the rep of the maker. It's as simple as that. Guess I've simply become a pipe smoker rather than a collector.

I still appreciate uber highgrades as useable works of art but some of the money paid (especially in this economy) seems like a big ol' waste. I can get just as much pleasure with one of my midgrades. Also, I find that pipe related collectibles like catalogs, jars, advertising items and the like are much more important to me than another big money briar. This is where the bulk of my "mad money" is being spent these days.

I still check in Smoker's Forums classified to see who's selling/trading what but posting over there as with other sites like My-Pipes Community and ASP before it, is over and done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 pm

kilted1 wrote:
not sure I can say it with a straight face
C'mon man! Hillary, Pelosi, why do you think they really got elected...... Smile

OK, maybe not Madeleine Albright......... affraid

jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
On a serious side, this just posted over at SF:

"Some members may have experienced that the IP address they use has been banned on SF, we have many listed spammers trying to join that use legit Internet Service Providers such as AOL, when a spammer is picked up, the IP address is placed on a banned list, unfortunately this can affect some members here on SF especially if the spammer is using for example AOL which has recently happened, this effectively bans all AOL IP addresses, we apologize for this and we ask you to contact us immediately if you are effected and we will endeavor to correct the problem as soon as possible, thanks for understanding."

IP banning is a really ineffective way of banning people from a forum. It usually hurts more good guys than bad and getting around it is just simple. We don't use it at all here and look at all the spam we got. Laughing

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:17 pm

J

That depends on what you consider spam... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Good point! Laughing

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
kilted1 wrote:
not sure I can say it with a straight face
C'mon man! Hillary, Pelosi, why do you think they really got elected...... Smile

OK, maybe not Madeleine Albright......... affraid

Oops! Just lost my lunch. Puff Daddy, that was cold! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Smokers Forum Closing Down   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:11 pm

lol! Sorry, that one should have come with a warning first Laughing

Pelosi did say she'd don a bikini if elected. Still waiting for that one pig

Smokers Forum Closing Down
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next