HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

B&M Discovery

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: B&M Discovery   Sat May 16, 2009 11:20 pm

I just have to let you guys know about a really positive B&M experience I had today. I had occassion to drive to Columbus, Ohio today. Decided to check out a store I had seen mentioned elsewhere on the internet. After dropping my wife and son off at a sports activity I drove about 25 minutes south into the city to this great little shop. Smokers Haven. To you more seasoned Brothers of Briar my experience may be old hat but this was a revelation to me. It is a pipe and tobacco business that also has some cigar and cig stuff. WOW. I met Bill Shalosky there. Bill makes most of their own brand of pipes, He very patiently answered my questions, showed me around and easily doubled my education and knowledge of everything pipes. He helped me find a pipe that was what I was looking for without trying to upsell me or make me feel bad about my target price point - less than $100. Then he actually listened to me regarding my taste and helped me pick out a couple of tobaccos to try. He did all of this, put in the better part of an hour with me, all for about $80. I got a Greek pipe - a nice Amadeus bent billiard - some Samuel Gawirth Commonwealth and some of a house brand they call Cognac. I am now enjoying my first bowl of Commonwealth in my new pipe. I will be back there. What a difference from the cigar shops I have frequented that happen to carry some pipe stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: B&M Discovery   Sun May 17, 2009 7:59 am

I have never been to Smoker's Haven. But they have always had a great reputation. Sailorman Jack spent the last part of his life promoting pipe smoking there. They have a line of imported blends that are very good. You have one of those. I wish their Internet business would return to the selection they once had. I think I recall them having a fire. Was always very quick in shipping.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: B&M Discovery   Mon May 18, 2009 12:08 pm

About two months ago I briefly visited their shop and found them to be very friendly and pretty well stocked....a lot more than shown on their website. I went back on Saturday to trade some pipes but found them to be closed even though their sign said they were supposed to be open. scratch It was probably due to the ongoing road construction in front of the building.

On your next visit I recommend you stop by Pipes and Pleasures too. They have a good selection of pipes and tobaccos too and are just as friendly. Their website-- Pipes and Pleasures/ That was the first place I've ever had a chance to see and touch a Dunhill Lighter. Though even nicer made and finished than Corona's Big Boy Lighter, I decided not to buy one because it didn't have a built in tamper. Rolling Eyes

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: B&M   Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Thanks for the response and the recommendation to Pipes and Pleasure. I will definitely check it out. I am from Cincinnati. We have a couple of very nice and very hospitably staffed cigar stores that stock some pipe stuff but I'd not seen a real B&M pipe place before Smokers Haven. I have occassion to spend quite a few idle hours in Columbus and that will be a great time to spend some of them.

There is still some construction obstruction around the Smokers Haven location but you forget all about it once you get into the shop. I was there late on Saturday and was the only customer there so it's not hard to imagine that one could show up late in the day to find they had given up for the day and closed. Glad I made the connection, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

B&M Discovery
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1