HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brd2887

Registration date : 2009-05-04

PostSubject: Help!   Sat May 16, 2009 9:30 pm

So, I've recently started into the world of pipe smoking, bought myself a pipe that I like, some tobaccos that smell nice, all that jazz. I've smoked about 4 bowls, trying to get it broken in, but the problem I have is that I can't for the life of me keep the tobacco lit. At first, I thought I had packed it too tight, so I used the pipe tool to loosen it up, but that didn't work. I've tried looser, denser, less, more, pretty much anything I could think of. It seems like sometimes it just doesn't want to light at all. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Help!   Sat May 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Go to the category Welcome Wagon,the first topic should answer your questions.

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brd2887

Registration date : 2009-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Help!   Sat May 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Winslow wrote:
Go to the category Welcome Wagon,the first topic should answer your questions.

That was the first place I looked. Didn't seem to help at all Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Help!   Sat May 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Dry it out. Very dry.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Help!   Sun May 17, 2009 5:19 am

Needing to relight isn't always a bad thing. But it does sound as if it's too moist.

When I open a new tin, once I get my nose out of it as I love sniffing the tin, I check the moisture with fingers and thumb. It's a pretty accurate method for you to judge if a given tobacco is too moist, or not. Something you learn. Generally, if you can pinch a wad and it sticks. It's too moist. Usually. If it's close, just dump some out on a sheet of paper. Break it up to air for a time. 20min can make a big difference. Sometimes I will leave a lid off a tin for a few hours. Overnight. Sometimes for days. Then seal it again and check it a day later. The top may dry out, but will equalize when resealed. Even tins with plastic lids on them will dry slowly. Flat tins seem to dry out quite quickly. So it's a constant battle around here with as many open tins as I often have.

And different blends can be different for you. This one may be better more moist, that one more dry. I can usually pack a dry blend quite tight. Moist blends need room to expand. Pack them looser. It's a learned technique. Don't think of it as a chore. Smoking the pipe and handling your tobacco is meant to be relaxing.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Help!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: