HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tobacco Prohibition Coming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
niles

Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:52 pm

(stepping lightly)

...I get the impression that some of you actually smoke CIGARETTES??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:23 pm

I used to smoke cigarettes 25+ years! Have been cigarette free for nearly 4 years now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:57 pm

I have never liked the smell of cigarettes. My in-laws worked for RJR Tobacco for 25+ years and (were forcibly) retired a few years back. I think half the reason our relationship is soured is due to not letting them smoke cigarettes in our house and vehicles and around our kids. They would always ask what was different with my pipe. And I would reply, "As if I needed to explain that one..." Usually it lead to them stomping off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
HistoryMajor

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Quote :
I'm of the opinion that smokers need to band together if we actually want to have any rights left...

and yes, I smoke them casually when I'm with friends or when I'm out drinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyO

Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:26 am

You are correct HM...we cannot sit back and let legislation slide for cigarettes, because ultimately what affects them affects us, and if they are severely restricted and we are not, we can only look forward for our hobby and lifestyle to be restricted, taxed, limited, shunned, etc.
It is similar with us gun owners...many of us sit aside allowing AKs and AR-15s being made illegal, we allow restrictions on "big bore" rifles, "assault rifles" [that aren't assault rifles at all 90% of the time, "sniper rifles" etc. all because we don't shoot those, or we only shoot shotguns, or we only hunt or whatever...eventually it will hit us all.

Divide and conquer?

United we stand Divided we fall?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woody

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:55 pm

HistoryMajor wrote:
Quote :
I'm of the opinion that smokers need to band together if we actually want to have any rights left...

I'm with History Major a fellow Canadian on the stance of pipe tobacco. In the US the baccy laws are turning toward Canadian laws. Canadians are taxed to the max and the US is headed that way.

But the rub is this - billions of $ in Canada and the US are counted on thru the taxing of tobacco - mostly cigarettes. There are still many groups that understand pipe smokers are NOT cigarette smokers. There will never be a prohibition of tabacco. Too many $ at stake on this point.

There will be a backlash and as History Major noted the backlash has already started in Canada. EVERYBODY gets that cigarettes are bad for you - but people will still smoke cigarettes and pipes. Cigarette smoking will continue to decline UNTIL the $ decline - then I believe the laws will be relaxed because there won't be enough tax dollars coming in. Governments are beginning to understand that the populous understands that cigarettes are bad for you. So consumption declines.

How do governments make money ? Taxes on Tobacco, alcohol. $$=amount of tobacco and alcohol sold. When tobacco is not sold dollars will discontinue. There's not much more to tax.

Don't worry about Prohibition. There's WAY too much money at stake to take tobacco out of our hands completely. Laws will become stringent - but governments DO understand that they'll reach a point that $ spent on tobacco education is fruitless. You can't flog a dead horse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Until such a time as politicians learn how NOT to squander dishonestly derived dollars, they will continue to invent new ways of derive them Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
niles

Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:56 am

Woody is a pragmatist...so am I...but, hey - the fringe is ballast, on both sides...you know, I mean even Ted Kaczynski was right about the basic things he believed (I believe)...it was just the blowing up of random innocent cogs that was misguided.

cherry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herzl

Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:40 pm

I was wrong about this much at least. From Tobacco Reporter Magazine
Quote :
FDA approves flavored nicotine lozenges
Jul 14, 2009—The Perrigo Company said yesterday it had received approval from the US Food and Drug Administration to market over-the-counter nicotine lozenges in cherry and cinnamon flavors.

The new products, which are said to provide an aid to smoking cessation, will be marketed under store brand labels.

“These two approvals expand our exclusive position in the store brand nicotine lozenge category,” said Perrigo's chairman and CEO, Joseph C. Papa.

“The expanded range of smoking cessation products also includes coated mint and Fruit Chill(TM) flavored gum, uncoated gum and lozenges.”

Perrigo said that the ‘smoking cessation category’ was selling at an annual rate estimated at about $1 billion at all retail outlet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:08 am

Nasal snuff is on the way back from olden times,course I'm way ahead of the
curve and have been partaking for years. Cool

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
john-in-kc

Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:23 pm

On another board, Washington State has criminalized mail/parcel receipt of tobacco except for licensed wholesalers and retailers. One person is contemplating obtaining a BATFE license to bring tobacco into the local area. That person already has an extant business.

We are being squeezed. Belmont CA has essentially outlawed tobacco. I've not talked to the folks at McClelland recently; I guess I need to. I need to see what their thoughts are about the business.

For Greg Pease: If California follows Washington's lead, how will that affect your blend development cycles? Relocation to a less anti State?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Some good points John. I am surprised this "Washington" subject has not come up on this board and I know from the box passes we have fellow "BoB's" here that live there. What really besides the Washington law sucks is the poor guy who lives in rural areas who has no access to any pipe tobacco other than through the mail. I know Arizona has been making groans to a similar law to close the so called tax loop hole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Python

Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm

HistoryMajor wrote:
Quote :

JohnnyO wrote:
You are correct HM...we cannot sit back and let legislation slide for cigarettes, because ultimately what affects them affects us, and if they are severely restricted and we are not, we can only look forward for our hobby and lifestyle to be restricted, taxed, limited, shunned, etc.

Divide and conquer?

United we stand Divided we fall?

I agree that we all need to stand together against the antis. It is about our right to choose to partake in something that is legal. We need to support other peoples rights to do the same, whether we agree with their choice or not.

Here is an article that every one who enjoys tobacco should read.

Divided We Fall: The Self Segregation of Smokers

This article is wriiten about tobacco, but it really goes much deeper than that. It applies to more than just tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Very cool article, Buck. Thank you for posting.

Quote :
Nasal snuff is on the way back from olden times,course I'm way ahead of the
curve and have been partaking for years.
Indeed...I pay around 15 CAD for a small tin. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but one thing I do to avoid my local tobacco tax is buy from out of state, mainly from Pipes and Cigars and SmokingPipes. Of course, this will go to hell if they ever pass an Internet tax or completely ban Internet sales of tobacco.

On the snuff: it has caught on here. Long ways from me begging my local shop to carry it to them having trouble keeping it in stock. I don't even get odd stares any more at a restaurant or in the grocery store when I stop to take a hit.
Back to top Go down
HistoryMajor

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Prohibition Coming?   Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:12 pm

Quote :
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but one thing I do to avoid my local tobacco tax is buy from out of state, mainly from Pipes and Cigars and SmokingPipes. Of course, this will go to hell if they ever pass an Internet tax or completely ban Internet sales of tobacco.
There aren't really any places in Canada that sell over the internet...and those that do, well, the price differences are not worth it when shipping is calculated into the cost. As well, for a couple bucks extra, I like to be able to spend time in an actual tobacconist shop, where I can speak to the owner, and meet cool people.

However, there are First Nations Reserves, which operate substantially cheaper operations (Canadian First Nations are exempt from federal taxes) and their products are quite more affordable...their Cuban products are comparable, if not cheaper, to cigars bought overseas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Tobacco Prohibition Coming?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2