HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Mon May 25, 2009 5:43 pm

The promo for the new Sherlock Holmes movie indicated that he broke with the tradition in several ways. My first thought was, "no pipe"! However, that's not the case. Watch the trailer and you'll see a rather interesting poker-esk shaped pipe.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/then-and-now-sherlock-holmes.html

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Mon May 25, 2009 6:03 pm

"beneath this pillow, is the key to my release."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

This looks like it might really be a good movie. Not until December.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Mon May 25, 2009 6:13 pm

While I'm not much of a Sherlock Holmes fan, the very idea of a new 'pc' none pipe smoking Sherlock Holmes is repugnant to me cheers

In my mind it should still at least be a calabash and preferably a gourd calabash!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Mon May 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Sherlock Holmes never smoked a calabash , gourd or otherwise! tongue
Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club, Ken. tongue
Pacem En Puffing! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Mon May 25, 2009 8:46 pm

It sounds to me like Downey's portral is a more accurate depiction of Holmes as originally written by Author Conan Doyle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Mon May 25, 2009 8:48 pm

kilted1 wrote:

In my mind it should still at least be a calabash and preferably a gourd calabash!

More accurate would be an opium pipe. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Mon May 25, 2009 9:23 pm

pipetongue1 wrote:
Pacem En Puffing! tongue

Ok I'll gladly stand corrected, I said I wasn't much of a fan anyway Laughing so what the hell do I know?

I still think he should smoke a pipe ... Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
m2j3t6

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Tue May 26, 2009 8:36 am

In the original stories Holmes did not smoke opium. He injected cocaine ( a 7% solution). Watson remonstrated (Sign of Four). An occasional dose was used (Yellow Face). He also never smoked a calabash. He smoked his Brier root pipe (sign of four) black clay pipe (Hound of the Baskervilles and Case of Identity) a long cherry wood (churchwarden?) which replaced the clay (Copper Beeches) and several other pipes as well as cigars which he kept in his coal scuttle and the occasional cigarette. The clay was mentioned in several other stories and may have been his favorite pipe. He smoked shag tobacco which he kept in a Persian slipper hanging from his fireplace. Now that was dry tobacco! He also saved his dottles and smoked them the next day. affraid He also had an aversion to women except for Irene Adler. "To Holmes she was always THE woman" (Scandal in Bohemia).

I'm no Holmes expert but I have a book with all the original stories and illustrations as they appeared in the Strand magazine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Tue May 26, 2009 10:38 pm

IMO the current depiction of Holmes is........sacrilege affraid

Oh yes, and it repugnant too. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dubbya

Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Tue May 26, 2009 11:17 pm

pipetongue1 wrote:
Pacem En Puffing! tongue

If I recall correctly, Doyle described Holmes as prefering harsh tobacco. Smoking a calabash would have made the tobacco less harsh, no?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dubbya

Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Tue May 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Justpipes wrote:
It sounds to me like Downey's portral is a more accurate depiction of Holmes as originally written by Author Conan Doyle.

It looks it. He's portrayed him as the bohemian urbanite of the Victorian era rather than the uptight aristocrat wearing the wrong hat in town of Rathbone's depiction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
m2j3t6

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor   Wed May 27, 2009 11:32 am

I believe the connection of the calabash pipe to Holmes was made by the actor William Gillette. He played Holmes on the stage from 1899 to 1935. If you Google William Gillette you can hear a recording of Gillette as Holmes from 1936 along with various pictures.

IMHO the most accurate portrayal of Holmes (not having seen Gillette's portrayal) was the Granada T.V. series staring Jeremy Brett. Much of the dialogue was taken directly from the original stories. They went to great pains to be as accurate to the original stories as possible including the cocaine use. Brett, a pipe smoker himself, even lit his pipe with a fireplace ember as Holmes often did. They tried to make Holmes rooms as accurate as possible using the illustrations and descriptions from the stories. This was not easy as the original stories contained many contradictions. In some stories Holmes landlady was Mrs. Hudson and in others she was Mrs. Turner. P&T magazine did an article about the museum at 221B Baker street showing the rooms recreated as accurately as possible. Doyle was obviously not overly concerned with continuity.

Downey's movie looks stylized to appeal to modern audiences as was Rathbone's (Holmes never fought the Nazis, never used a telephone and never used an automobile or airplane) After all, they're not making the movie as a homage they're doing it to make money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Well, a bit of good news, albeit it minor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1