HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Stanwell Pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Just pulled the trigger on a Stanwell 124 revival,,,,next?,,,,a classic 32?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:21 pm

There are a couple new Stanwells being sold tommorrow on E-Bay
by Pipestud........a guy could get a nice deal. Cool

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 pm

mark wrote:
Just pulled the trigger on a Stanwell 124 revival,,,,next?,,,,a classic 32?????
Excellent choices! Very Happy

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:38 am

Was at an antique mall thingy yesterday and found a couple pipes. Nothing interested me, but I did walk away with a question. Don't all original Stanwell stems have some type of logo on the stem? One of these didn't have any marking on it at all. Just black. It didn't look like a replacement. Can anyone help me answer that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:57 am

I m thinking about a stanwell ive been watching on ebay. Ive heard good things about them and I dont have one. So im figuring I should do something about the lack of a stanwell in my barn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:00 pm

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:26 pm

This is what im watching
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattia76

Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:44 pm

The cheaper lines have a stamp that can wear off easily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 pm

plumbernater wrote:

This is what im watching

Nice 32.04 santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 pm

When it comes to value, for me it's a toss up between Nording and Stanwell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:00 pm

I managed a pipe and cigar shop in a small college city in the 90s. Outside of true bucket pipes, one of the two pipe brands we stocked was Stanwell. I don't remember the Stanwells being small pipes. They were average sized pipes; nothing that would make you think they were of an unusual size in either direction. So...now to my question(s): Is my memory failing me? Are Stanwells generally smaller pipes? Or are certain shape #s commonly on the smaller size? Or have did they become on the smaller side at some point?

I recently picked up a Tom Eltang 125. I picked it up off eBay, and I have to say I'm confused and disappointed by how petite it is. I checked Smoking Pipes' history, and the two I found were similar in dimensions. I don't want to yet conclude this shape is just on the small side without asking around and gathering more evidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
I managed a pipe and cigar shop in a small college city in the 90s.  Outside of true bucket pipes, one of the two pipe brands we stocked was Stanwell.  I don't remember the Stanwells being small pipes.  They were average sized pipes; nothing that would make you think they were of an unusual size in either direction.  So...now to my question(s):  Is my memory failing me?  Are Stanwells generally smaller pipes?  Or are certain shape #s commonly on the smaller size?  Or have did they become on the smaller side at some point?

I recently picked up a Tom Eltang 125.  I picked it up off eBay, and I have to say I'm confused and disappointed by how petite it is.  I checked Smoking Pipes' history, and the two I found were similar in dimensions. I don't want to yet conclude this shape is just on the small side without asking around and gathering more evidence.

I have a couple of Stanwells, most of them normal size pipes.......group 3 or 4 Dunhill.  I do have  a second (Royal Guard) which is a smallish pipe and which is one of my favourite smokers.  A friend of mine also collects Stanwells and his are "normal" size pipes, too.

Can't speak for the Eltang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Well, a 5-inch pipe is obviously shorter than a 5.5 or 6 inch pipe, and that shape is only 5 inches, I believe. Stanwell has a lot of 5 inchers, which is a bit small in my book. I tend to buy at least a 5.5 inch length with a 3/4 inch bore, and I always check that regardless of marque. Off the top of my head I'd say many Stanwells do run small, for whatever that's worth. But many Petes are deceptively small, too--for example, the 338. So I always check, unless badly smitten. (I've got a few that I'd prefer to be a tad larger.) Are you concerned that there may be a larger version of the 125 out there somewhere, and that you'd like to have it? I wouldn't think there is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Well, a 5-inch pipe is obviously shorter than a 5.5 or 6 inch pipe, and that shape is only 5 inches, I believe. Stanwell has a lot of 5 inchers, which is a bit small in my book. I tend to buy at least a 5.5 inch length with a 3/4 inch bore, and I always check that regardless of marque. Off the top of my head I'd say many Stanwells do run small, for whatever that's worth. But many Petes are deceptively small, too--for example, the 338. So I always check, unless badly smitten. (I've got a few that I'd prefer to be a tad larger.) Are you concerned that there may be a larger version of the 125 out there somewhere, and that you'd like to have it? I wouldn't think there is.
thanks for that feedback. good information. and yes, I would love to find a 6"x2-2.25" version. I'm not interested in anything monstrous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Glad this thread was re-opened:

Stanwell makes an excellent crafted pipe for the price. I own 8 and not one has the slightest fill. All are outstanding smokers but most at the 5" mark. Below is a picture of my two favorite Stanwell pipes: the top one is the Royal Guard measuring in at 5 1/4" and the lower is the #95 measuring in at 5 1/2". Both have a beautiful grain made out of well aged briar, which were easy to break in. They both smoke better then some of my pipes costing 4 times more. All of my others measure in at 4 7/8" to 5" exactly. Because of the wide stem on both they're perfect for clenching.
PS
If you want longer Stanwells look at the 75th Anniversary Series pipes

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Stanwell Pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: