HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Knoxville B&M Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Knoxville B&M Help   Tue May 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Does anybody have a B&M recommendation in the Knoxville, Tennessee area? I'm taking 3 boys there this weekend for a hockey tournament. On my last hockey road trip - Columbus, Ohio - I had a great visit to a local B&M there. I expect to be making quite a few of these trips over the next year or so and think this could be a very pleasurable 'payback' for chaffeuring and tolerating the raging teenage hormones, videos, and music. I might also find a pleasant alternative to the 'room note' of bags of sweaty hockey equipment. Lexington, Kentucky is also on the route but I would rather find someplace at the end of the trip as sort of a reward and at a time when I will have some time to kill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terry292

Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Knoxville B&M Help   Tue May 26, 2009 11:25 pm

Two suggestions:
1. Smokey's, Montvue Center, next to the West Town Mall, on the Kingston Pike, 865-693-8371. Dave Watson, the owner, doesn't have a lot of high-grades, but his shop is full of good quality, mid-range pipes, and lots of good tobacco. The humidor isn't bad, either. Tell him I sent you, and he'll probably pull the used (read estate) pipes out from under the counter. Some of them probably haven't been cleaned yet, and you might get a deal.

2. Leaf & Ale, 9290 Kingston Pike, phone: 877-56-CIGAR, mike@leafandale.com, web: www.leafandale.com Not a great selection of pipes, per se, but Robert Blackwell, who's been making pipes for over 30 years, works there part-time. There will probably be some of his pipes in the showcases. There's also a good selection of beer and ale, and home-brewing supplies. The humidor is better than the pipe selection, but it's worth a visit just to BS with the guys who'll be hanging out, no matter the time of day. I have seven of Robert's pipes, two of them I ordered personally, and they're as good as any I own.

I haven't been to Knoxville Cigar, Central Ave (sorry, I don't know the number) since Pete changed the direction of the store. They de-emphasized pipes, and now concentrate more on cigars. Pete also opened a cigar bar right next door, a good place for a smoke and a drink. It's a 21 and up place only, no minors.

Hope this helps.
Terry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Knoxville B&M   Wed May 27, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks Terry. I'll put these in my GPS tonight. Once I find out the rink location I'll be ready to do some exploring. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll post my experiences for other travelers. My last road trip took me to Smokers Haven in Columbus, Ohio. I heartily recommend it for the pipe selection, the conversation with Bill, their pipemaker, the tobacco selection, and the atmosphere. Will get back there whenever I can and am now looking forward to my trip to Knoxville more than any previous kid hauling hockey trip before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Knoxville B&M Help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1