HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rome Total War

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Rome Total War   Thu May 28, 2009 1:47 pm

The Mighty Seleucid Empire, Vanquisher of Egypt,Destroyer of the Greeks: Who can stop the power? Rome? Hah.... My mighty Cataphracts and War Elephants will trample them as my Phalanx pins them to the ground. ALL HAIL the ashes of Mighty ALEXANDER!

I began playing the Total War series way back when Shogun Total War came out...it was great but gunpowder welding barbarian round eyes really unbalanced the game.......

Medieval Total War rocked! Gothic Knights,Men-at-Arms, British Longbowmen.... Too frikkin cool..... Until once again, Gunpowder came about late game...

Nothing is more insane than losing an entire unit of Knights just back from Crusading to a bunch of peasants with pistols....

Sure Medieval II Total War came out, but I'm not interested, much the same with the latest greatest Empire Total War (set during the colonial era)....frikkin gunpowder just can't be as cool as watching a bunch of Lancers charge your mace & shield bearing infantry....

I've been playing the current campaign for an hour or two a week for quite sometime now.... I own the Eastern half of the known world... It is time to take on ROME.

Any of you hucksters ever played one of the Total War series? I know you've at least seen it in action as History Channel uses the engine to recreate ancient battles for the various series they run...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 pm

puros_bran wrote:
The Mighty Seleucid Empire, Vanquisher of Egypt,Destroyer of the Greeks: Who can stop the power? Rome? Hah.... My mighty Cataphracts and War Elephants will trample them as my Phalanx pins them to the ground. ALL HAIL the ashes of Mighty ALEXANDER!

I began playing the Total War series way back when Shogun Total War came out...it was great but gunpowder welding barbarian round eyes really unbalanced the game.......

Medieval Total War rocked! Gothic Knights,Men-at-Arms, British Longbowmen.... Too frikkin cool..... Until once again, Gunpowder came about late game...

Nothing is more insane than losing an entire unit of Knights just back from Crusading to a bunch of peasants with pistols....

Sure Medieval II Total War came out, but I'm not interested, much the same with the latest greatest Empire Total War (set during the colonial era)....frikkin gunpowder just can't be as cool as watching a bunch of Lancers charge your mace & shield bearing infantry....

I've been playing the current campaign for an hour or two a week for quite sometime now.... I own the Eastern half of the known world... It is time to take on ROME.

Any of you hucksters ever played one of the Total War series? I know you've at least seen it in action as History Channel uses the engine to recreate ancient battles for the various series they run...

I'm not a video game player, don't even own one but I love to watch the History Channel shows that you are referring to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Thu May 28, 2009 2:33 pm

puros_bran wrote:
I own the Eastern half of the known world... It is time to take on ROME...

scratch Napoleon syndrome can be treated nowadays with a heavy drug cocktail. Suspect

lol! Good luck on yer world conquest!
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Thu May 28, 2009 2:40 pm

EJ, somedays the only thing that keeps me off the water tower is knowing how great a world leader I'd be. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Thu May 28, 2009 2:50 pm

puros_bran wrote:
EJ, somedays the only thing that keeps me off the water tower is knowing how great a world leader I'd be. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I can truly identify! king
Back to top Go down
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Thu May 28, 2009 6:08 pm

I own the game,Rome Total War,haven't really played it much but crushing
enemy soldiers with elephants is very cool. Twisted Evil

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Thu May 28, 2009 7:00 pm

"Bye! Have fun storming the castle!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Thu May 28, 2009 7:06 pm

puros_bran wrote:

Can I assume you provide your troops with a healthy supply of tobacco ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 am

Winslow: You are sooooooo right! Very Happy on the flip side I figured out how to 'beat' elephants. Have a couple of Archer units shoot flaming arrows at them,they panic around the 3rd or 4th volley... I say 'beat' because you can't kill them with much besides Onagers (takes to long, you'll kill a couple but your army will route while your screwing off) the archery gimmick just scares the elephants into stampede.... Still dangerous, but at that point they will trample frind and foe alike...particularly useful if you can stampede them while they are transitioning through their units.

Mark: there is no provision in the game for tobacco...BUT...
When you win a siege battle you have the option of 1 Occupying the City 2 enslaving the City 3 exterminating the City... I allways exterminate the natives... Its good for my mens spirits, and besides dead people can't rebel and riot Very Happy (see I told yall I was a good world leader). When you exterminate a city a big ploom of smoke rises from it on the map. Its probably supposed to represent the actual rape and pillage going on...but I like to think of it as my loyal soldiers enjoying a fine bowl after a hard days 'rapin n pilligin'.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Fri May 29, 2009 9:42 am

PeeBee wrote:
When you win a siege battle you have the option of 1 Occupying the City 2 enslaving the City 3 exterminating the City... I allways exterminate the natives... Its good for my mens spirits, and besides dead people can't rebel and riot Very Happy
History repeats itself.

Stalin learned from the Assyrians.

Of course they'll rebel once the army leaves. But if you exterminate them, they aren't working for you.

Deal is, they're attached to their ancestral homeland, language, religion, culture, values, law, &c.

Key is home.

So you uproot and re-plant them. Like the Terskayan Cossacks he relocated to Siberia.

Sever the connection with the root of the impulse to be autonomous and defend it.

(Last 150 years or so, this has been called the Pursuit of Economic Opportunity. Highly effective fragmentation device. And completely off the awareness screen).

What a Face
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Fri May 29, 2009 11:17 am

That's represented by option 2 Enslave the city....

1/2 of the citys population is transfered to other citys you own that has a govenor.

BUT.....

I'm a maniacal master race kinda guy (in this campaign anyway)... I figure if your not a Seleucian you must die...muhahahahahahahahahaha.

I played my first campaign as the Roman Brutii (supposedly representing Brutis) I was kind maybe even benevolent...I only killed soldiers, and the worst I would do to your town was tear down your temple and build one of my own.....I didn't even do that to the Greeks and the Macedons, their Gods were close enough to my Gods....
Mercenary and Auxiliria troops were welcome into my Legions... I even obeyed the Senate, well up until they demanded my faction leader commit suicide...at that point I started a civil war and defeated the Senate,the Julii, and the Scipii factions.. All Hail Brutus Caeser. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Fri May 29, 2009 11:23 am

Doc Manhattan wrote:
"Bye! Have fun storming the castle!"
lol! I finally got it! Good one! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Fri May 29, 2009 11:25 am

EJinVA wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
I own the Eastern half of the known world... It is time to take on ROME...

scratch Napoleon syndrome can be treated nowadays with a heavy drug cocktail. Suspect

There's also shock treatment affraid .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Fri May 29, 2009 11:44 am

PeeBee wrote:
That's represented by option 2 Enslave the city....
No it isn't. That ties up resources and costs money.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Fri May 29, 2009 12:11 pm

In the game, when you 'enslave the city' it takes half the citys population and instantly relocates them to your other citys... To quite the other half you immediatly tear down any temple...OR as you said you place a huge garrison there...I don't have time to have a General playing Governor, so I take out their God/s.
It works, and it loosely represents history... At least the historicity (new word? ) of losing your home/place in the world.. and losing your God/s.
It makes the populace very easy to control....

Anyhoot....Winslow appears to be the only one with the game... What a shame...

And for the record I still don't get it Dock.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War   Fri May 29, 2009 12:23 pm

puros_bran wrote:
And for the record I still don't get it Dock.Very Happy

Methinks this is what he means:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-8kc3-VG4g
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider