HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jmallen5

Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 5:13 pm

You are all wrong, but I have the answers. For a small donation to my mission in pongo pongo ( we are teaching cross-eyed pygmies how to sell there basket weaving on e-bay) I will send you the truth by telepathic message.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terry292

Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Tennessee Dave wrote:
Being a Christian I don't even try because as I understand it the price paid on the cross was sufficient for whatever sins this old man has committed. I'll put my faith in that, not some gluttonous overweight preacher who has to know that eating to the point of morbid obesity is every bit as sinful as smoking a bowl of tobacco. But let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I guess we'll find out judgment day, heh? Smile

Just an old sinner saved by Grace. I agree: we'll find out at the Judgment Seat.
Terry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 7:03 pm

I think holding your tongue in that situation was wise,,,with your grandpa and the elderly woman in the room ,confrontation would have just made everyone uncomfortable, good job (in my opinion) live and let live cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robertw1249

Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 7:29 pm

yeah i think the next time i see that preacher and he says some thing to me about smoking ill just say to him ill be right back im going out side to enjoy a nice bowl of Devil's Holiday Twisted Evil

Last edited by robertw1249 on Thu May 28, 2009 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 7:29 pm

A little perspective from a practitioner of that Old Time Religion: if it's not banned by the Torah (the written law) or the Talmud (the expert interpretation of the law), it's not a 'sin'... though the concepts of sin and grace are not really the same as they are in most Christian interpretations. The short answer: tobacco isn't forbidden, but some authorities discourage smoking for health reasons (modern cigarettes bearing the brunt of that association of course.) Pipe smoking being reasonably health-neutral = not forbidden and thus a personal choice.

But the Hasidic Jews, an ecstatic Orthodox sect, embraced tobacco for its mind-altering properties. To wit:

Quote :
...there are certain subtle 'holy sparks' in tobacco which, under divine providence, was brought to Europe so the masters could elevate these sparks in order to complete the full restoration that would result in the coming of the Messiah.
So... keep smoking those pipes!

Quote :
Its use by the Hasidim raises the weed from the profane to the scared in that no one is ashamed to accept from another a peck of snuff or a pipeful of tobacco and so acts of benevolence are carried out through it all the time.
Sounds like they understood the Brotherhood, yes?

Quote :
The lulke (churchwarden pipe) of the Baal Shem Tov (a famous rabbi/mystic) features frequently in Hasidic legend.

It was reputedly so long that an assistant had to light it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
GarWood

Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Very well put, HoosierPuffer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robertw1249

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 7:35 pm

what i think ill do is find me a preacher that smokes pipes and have him bless my tobacco and we should be all good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robertw1249

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 7:57 pm

[quote="mark"]I think holding your tongue in that situation was wise,,,with your grandpa and the elderly woman in the room ,confrontation would have just made everyone uncomfortable, good job (in my opinion) live and let live cheers[/quote

yeah i know i did not want things to get out of hand but my redheaded temper it was tested
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Ol'Dawg wrote:
shootist51 wrote:

I am often reminded of the story of the young man smoking on a street corner who is approached by a man of the cloth and informed that smoking is bad for his health. He replies that his grandfather lived to be 87 years old. The preacher asks,"Was he a smoker?' "No", replies the young man."but he knew enough to mind his own damn business."
shootist51

One of my favorite stories along the same line occurred when a fellow was digging worms for fishing on a Sunday morning when a lady passed by and said "Sir, don't you realize this is the Lord's day?" He replied "No, I was too busy minding my own business." I use the reply when I've had enough of someone obnoxiously trying to tell me how to live my life.

Jim

All fabulous contributions to a great topic! I think most of the bases have been covered but I will add "There is therefore now no more condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus". Only He knows our hearts. Matthew 15:11 says - "It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."

Jim, as EJ indicated, your responses of wisdom are priceless!

They use to tell me when I was going fishing on Sunday that I was going to end up catching the devil some Sunday. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
richmondesi

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 pm

Matt 15:11 is exactly where I was going to respond to this thread as well. It's amazing how people who call themselves Christians are so eager to be like the Pharisees that Jesus repeatedly condemned. Matt 23 is one of the most intriguing chapters of the Bible IMO. FWIW, I attend a very "legalistic" congregation, and I've had public discussions on the issue of alcohol (which I think the same arguments apply to pipes). I'm not alone in my convictions on these topics either. If anyone is interested, I can definitely answer any questions that may come up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Hey guys, I didn't get a chance to read through everyone's posts, but I figure I'll throw in my two cents. Frankly, I don't know if it's a sin; however, it can't be any worse of a sin than gluttony...which many non-smokers partake in. Anyone for lusting after a neighbor's wife? All of a sudden smoking (in a polite manner without endangering non-smokers) doesn't seem like a sin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Thu May 28, 2009 11:53 pm

robertw1249 wrote:
what i think ill do is find me a preacher that smokes pipes and have him bless my tobacco and we should be all good

ooooh, I got this one: Then you can exclaim, "holy smoke!" every time you light up....

Judges?
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 12:18 am

Texas Outlaw wrote:
Hey guys, I didn't get a chance to read through everyone's posts, but I figure I'll throw in my two cents. Frankly, I don't know if it's a sin; however, it can't be any worse of a sin than gluttony...which many non-smokers partake in. Anyone for lusting after a neighbor's wife? All of a sudden smoking (in a polite manner without endangering non-smokers) doesn't seem like a sin.

Well, ya know there's a commandment 'bout that "neighbor's wife" thingy. Wink
They don't say nuthin' 'bout smokin'. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morleysson

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 7:22 am

shootist51[b] wrote:
Just so you know, I hold the record in Indiana for distance in pitching priests off of balconies[/b]....
Was that freestyle or Olympic rules? And, was the pitch for vertical or horizontal distance, or merely the total number tossed in a timed event?

As a child, I was raised in an immigrant Roman Catholic family. Our priests, who came from Yugoslavia and Poland, smoked like proverbial 'chimneys, all the time. Pipes and cigars seemed to prevail, w/ an occasional cigarette smoker, but the point was that they smoked, quite consciously. It was never an issue for them, or for any creature comfort, I might add. In our Phila pipegroup, one of the more prominent members is Rabbi Ira Stone, who writes quite positively and articulately in his blog "Pipe Pulpit" about pipes and smoking. Again, never any issue about the religious ramifications of smoking. You should be praised for thinking enough to do a good deed for an elder person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 9:06 am

morleysson wrote:
You should be praised for thinking enough to do a good deed for an elder person.

Amen!

Always nice to see you post Morleysson!
Back to top Go down
TallSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 9:10 am

I guess that I'm as guilty of it as anyone else, but after thinking on this some I figure pointing to a religious leader and saying, "Hey, he does it! It must be OK!" is a poor argument IMHO. We could look at many so-called "religious leaders" or "Christian" leaders and see pedophiles, adulterers, fornicators, drunkards, murderers, liars, thieves, etc. We could justify just about any sin in that manner if that was the rule of thumb that we lived by.

There were several good arguments made in previous posts that didn't go that route, though. Well stated!

To me it's like when you share your faith with someone and tell them the good news of a God who is willing to save the people who rebelled against Him. One response you often receive is, "Hey, look at so-and-so Christian over there. He left his wife or robbed a bank or embezzled all that money from his employer, etc. Why should I follow a religion where people do that?" You could really point out anyone who takes the "Christian label" and see humanity in all its glory. But the problem there is that there was only one to walk this earth who claimed to be perfect, Jesus Christ. Follow me around for a day (an hour?) and I'll let you down at some point. But Christ will not. My goal is to just try and be like Him.

So it is with this issue of smoking and many others. What is your sole authority for deciding what is right and wrong? Your religious leader? That preacher Robert met? Your father? Your neighbor? The lady in the grocery store? A magazine article you read? The Word of God?

As a Christian I believe the Bible does not prohibit smoking in moderation. I might be able to make the "body is God's temple" argument on heavy smokers, but haven't formed a solid opinion on that one.

As far as your response to the preacher, Robert, I think it is always best to return a kind word. You were right not to go after him. I wish my own pride would allow me to do that more often, but you handled that situation well. I would hope that I would have smiled, offered a "God bless you, sir," and walked away. Good for you for demonstrating patience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 9:20 am

TallSmoke wrote:

To me it's like when you share your faith with someone and tell them the good news of a God who is willing to save the people who rebelled against Him. One response you often receive is, "Hey, look at so-and-so Christian over there. He left his wife or robbed a bank or embezzled all that money from his employer, etc. Why should I follow a religion where people do that?"

Joe,

That is the oldest ploy in satan's bag of tricks! He tries and is successful to some degree, to get our eyes and heart off of our own personal relationship with the Lord and onto what our neighbors (other people) around us are doing which traps us in a snare of ungodly judgement. I am preaching to the choir here! Non the less that is one of satan's main strategies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Now that I've thought about this some more my suggestion for next time is to open a can of this:
Back to top Go down
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 1:02 pm

The only things I can think of that would make it a sin would be the bits about "your body is a temple" and that addiction makes you a slave to something other than God.

Now, I don't have verses for these...I'm going to guess Corinthians or Romans, but I haven't opened my Bible in a year or two and I intend to keep it that way.

If anyone is concerned about the consequences of smoking...quit! If you're going to have to have it hanging on your conscience and then deal with it at the end of every day, it's not worth it. Smoking is fun and pleasurable...worrying about whether or not a red devil is going to poke you with a pitchfork for eternity isn't quite as enjoyable.

But, I suppose if one isn't religious, then the question really is moot, since as a matter of "right" and "wrong" each person can do what they want to their body so long as they are not infringing on the liberty of others...therefore, smoking is more or less okay in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 1:03 pm

EJinVA wrote:
Now that I've thought about this some more my suggestion for next time is to open a can of this:
lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Mister Moo

Registration date : 2009-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 1:40 pm

robertw1249 wrote:
hi ... you know smoking a sin and some of the other lady where saying that it was a sin but out of respect for my grandpa i did not say a word...
These guys think we're OK with it but you could ask over there. This is the sort of thing they like to talk about (when they're done talking about pipes) http://christianpipesmokers.net/index.php.

I'm totally OK with it if that helps.

And I've made it my business that it isn't my business to worry about what other people think about me (or my pipe smoking). Except for Mrs. Moo, that is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dubbya

Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 4:01 pm

robertw1249 wrote:
yeah it is the older lady i bring the smokes to she smokes out side in all kind of weather she is a tuff old lady she has had a tuff life so i do enjoy doing that for her it make her happy

And kindness is one of the seven cardinal virtues. That's the exact opposite of a sin, if the preacher wants to have another gentlemanly debate about it. From the sound of it, you may be the one to have to keep it gentlemanly though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dubbya

Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Mister Moo wrote:
robertw1249 wrote:
hi ... you know smoking a sin and some of the other lady where saying that it was a sin but out of respect for my grandpa i did not say a word...
These guys think we're OK with it but you could ask over there. This is the sort of thing they like to talk about (when they're done talking about pipes) http://christianpipesmokers.net/index.php.

I'm totally OK with it if that helps.

And I've made it my business that it isn't my business to worry about what other people think about me (or my pipe smoking). Except for Mrs. Moo, that is.

Bookmarked. Thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Anything I want to do is fine because I want to do it.I do not care a pinch of
Owl dung for anybody else's opinion,they can mind their own business. Mad

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Winslow wrote:
Anything I want to do is fine because I want to do it.I do not care a pinch of
Owl dung for anybody else's opinion,they can mind their own business. Mad

Winslow sunny

You tell'm Steve!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next