HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
robertw1249

Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 pm

thanks for all the great advice with this guys i dont really know that much about the bible as i should i still just shake my head at what he said why a preacher would say some thing like that thanks agin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: the preacher and tobacco   Sat May 30, 2009 12:14 am

Sounds like the type who condemns picks and chooses which bits of scripture to read, and reads into it what he wants. Probably against the use of alcohol too, and conveniently ignores 1 Timothy 5:23 "take a little wine..." and of course the wine of the last supper.
You might get a chuckle out of this:
Charles Spurgeon was minster at the Metropolitan Tabernacle Church , London, England.

While Mr. Spurgeon was living at Nightingale Lane, Clapham, an excursion was one day organised by one of the young men's classes at the Metropolitan Tabernacle Church.
It was a beautiful early morning, and the men arrived in high spirits, pipes and cigars alight, and looking forward to a day of unrestrained enjoyment.
The Rev. Mr. Spurgeon was ready waiting at the gate. He jumped up to the box-seat reserved for him, and looking round with an expression of astonishment, exclaimed: "What, gentlemen! Are you not ashamed to be smoking so early?"

Here was a damper! Dismay was on every face. Pipes and cigars one by one failed and dropped out of sight.
When all had disappeared, out came Rev. Spurgeon's cigar-case. He lit up and smoked away serenely.
The men looked at him astonished. "I thought you said you objected to smoking, Mr. Spurgeon?" one ventured.
"Oh no, I did not say I objected. I asked if they were not ashamed, and it appears they were, for they have all put their pipes away."
Amid laughter the pipes reappeared, and with puffs of smoke the party went on merrily.
------
“For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, 'He hath a devil'.

The Son of Man is come eating and drinking; and ye say,
'Behold a glutonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!”

St. Luke 7:33-34

Al (in Canada) jocolor jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Sat May 30, 2009 12:32 am

I've been a life-long Christian, I don't recall a time where I wasn't aware of God and his Son Jesus THE Christ. My Dad is a retired Methodist minister, so I had an 'advantage' there. What has always bothered me about many a 'christian' or 'christian church' has been this infantile fascination of 'everyone elses' sins'. I've been to at least a million of the exact same 'sermon' the 'shock 'n awe' approach to Christ, while all kinds of 'sin' exists outside the sermon. How anyone can sit Sunday after Sunday in the same church for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. 70 years or more and listen to this same 'sermon' either put forth as though everyone in the world is lost, or screamed at the top of the 'preacher's' voice and think that is christian or christ-like is beyond me.

Standing on the back of a 'sinner' does NOT get one closer to God.

One thief crucified with Jesus, recognized him as Lord and received his salvation ON a cross!

Come as you are ... cheers

Last edited by kilted1 on Sat May 30, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dubbya

Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Sat May 30, 2009 12:37 am

kilted1 wrote:
I've been a life-long Christian, I don't recall a time where I wasn't aware of God and his Son Jesus THE Christ. My Dad is a retired Methodist minister, so I had an 'advantage' there. What has always bothered me about many a 'christian' or 'christian church' has been this infantile fascination of 'everyone elses' sins'. I've been to at least a million of the exact same 'sermon' the 'shock 'n awe' approach to Christ, while all kinds of 'sin' exists outside the sermon.

I would say that he who is without sin should cast the stones, but it sounds like you father, you, and Jesus may have beaten me to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Sat May 30, 2009 12:41 am

Dubbya wrote:
kilted1 wrote:
I've been a life-long Christian, I don't recall a time where I wasn't aware of God and his Son Jesus THE Christ. My Dad is a retired Methodist minister, so I had an 'advantage' there. What has always bothered me about many a 'christian' or 'christian church' has been this infantile fascination of 'everyone elses' sins'. I've been to at least a million of the exact same 'sermon' the 'shock 'n awe' approach to Christ, while all kinds of 'sin' exists outside the sermon.

I would say that he who is without sin should cast the stones, but it sounds like you father, you, and Jesus may have beaten me to it.

Sorry Dubbya, after re-reading my original post I decided to ad a bit more to it. Indeed, he without sin cast the first stone! There is only ONE who had no sin, and complete obedience to the law never fulfilled Salvation ANYWAY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

PostSubject: the church   Sat May 30, 2009 1:56 am

kilted1 wrote:
I've been a life-long Christian, I don't recall a time where I wasn't aware of God and his Son Jesus THE Christ. My Dad is a retired Methodist minister, so I had an 'advantage' there. What has always bothered me about many a 'christian' or 'christian church' has been this infantile fascination of 'everyone elses' sins'. I've been to at least a million of the exact same 'sermon' the 'shock 'n awe' approach to Christ, while all kinds of 'sin' exists outside the sermon. How anyone can sit Sunday after Sunday in the same church for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. 70 years or more and listen to this same 'sermon' either put forth as though everyone in the world is lost, or screamed at the top of the 'preacher's' voice and think that is christian or christ-like is beyond me.

One thief crucified with Jesus, recognized him as Lord and received his salvation ON a cross!

As a wise minister told me when I "complained" about all the finger pointing in church, a church is not made up of perfect people, but of a group of people attempting perfection. And a lot of people feel their failure at being perfect, and somehow it makes them feel better to point out the short comings of others, hoping that everyone will be too busy to see their own failures.
Unfortunately not every minister is that wise. You'd even wonder if they read the same story we did.

Al (in Canada)
Brigham Balkan in a BBB bulldog
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Sat May 30, 2009 2:38 am

Dubbya wrote:
"Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen. My father he was orange and me mother she was green."

... Sounds like any day in Belfast Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Sat May 30, 2009 2:49 am

kilted1 wrote:
Dubbya wrote:
"Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen. My father he was orange and me mother she was green."

... Sounds like any day in Belfast Laughing

You got the movie (in your head), now here's the music:

"My father was an Ulster man, proud Protestant was he.
My mother was a Catholic girl. From county Cork was she.
They were married in two churches, lived happily enough,
Until the day that I was born. Then, things got rather tough.

"Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green."

For the entire lyrics go to:
http://www.lyricstime.com/irish-rovers-the-orange-and-the-green-lyrics.html

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it   Sat May 30, 2009 8:14 am

Al in Canada wrote:

Charles Spurgeon was minster at the Metropolitan Tabernacle Church , London, England.

I'm a huge fan of Spurgeon. I have several volumes of his preaching in my library along with some other books on him or by him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com

Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3