HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pondering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troll

Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Pondering   Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm admittedly old, live alone, retired and live in a very rural part of northern PA. Now this gives me a great deal of time to "PONDER". So I was pondering "PETERSON" pipes. Almost everyone agrees that Pete's are hard to break in. HMMMM I pondered Wonder why? Now I start to theorize. Now I'm not a pipe maker, just a smoker. 1: Peterson does not buy top quality Briar(mid range maybe). 2:Peterson doesn't age/cure Briar. 3: They leave the age/curing up to the smoker.
Now this doesn't make Peterson a bad pipe just a difficult one. I know there are some on the forum who will think "Damn this old flatulent Dork needs to get out more"

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:31 pm

Dave,

You need to get out more.

Just kidding!

I purchased a Peterson pipe a few months back and it smokes fine. I was wondering how someone would age/cure a pipe such as a post-production pipe from Peterson?

Thanks,

JJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Actually its because they dip stain their pipes..... take a bit of sand paper, scuff that stain out and your good to go.
Its hard to tell because they carbon their bowls, but trust me its there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:50 pm

Here's from central Pennsylvania :

Smoking a dip-stained pipe (by anybody) is worse than wearing a rayon shirt out in the summer sun.

Get that crap outta there and, IMHO, they're the best tasting new-outta-the-box pipes I've ever had.

I could be content forever with them if LL de-toxed the bowl interiors and made lucite stems for them.

More than content !

What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Out of the big three, seems to me Peterson ages their briar best.
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:08 pm

I have nothing at all against Peterson, I own 7 and would easily buy more. I have a couple that get smoked nearly to death. I've never had an issue breaking one in, and I don't think they are any more difficult to break in than any other pipe I've ever owned. But then, everyone has their pet 'pipe myths'. In my experience, Pete's are among the best 'factory pipes' made, and certainly a good value for money. Are they the BEST pipes in the world, no, but they service my needs just fine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eulenburg

Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Hm. I own 24 Petersons. Never had any problem breaking any of them in.

On the other hand, a Butz-Choquin I've owned for ions and paid an arm and a leg for always acts like it's new and angry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:08 pm

This is one topic I don't understand.

I flat out love Peterson briars. Mostly for the way they taste. Old ones (like 1920s) all the way up through maybe 1990s.

At least one guy, with legendarily acute flavor perception, told me they take so many years of smoking for them to stop coloring the tobacco taste he can't be bothered with them. scratch

I must be missing a chip in my sensor board. Virginia flakes in a classic (Billiard, Bent Bulldog, Apple) Pete have a roundness, richness and fullness that's incomparable.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Eulenburg

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Quote :
...one guy, with legendarily acute flavor perception...

A legend in his own mind, no doubt.

I mostly love Petes for their nostalgic, romantic look.

Quote :
...Virginia flakes in a classic Pete have a roundness, richness and fullness that's incomparable...

Let me just say that many's the flake and twist I've enjoyed in precisely that way. I love my Petes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:20 pm

No Eulenburg... There are among us some fellows with extremely well trained and sensitive palates. They are some of the more humble guys on the board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eulenburg

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:41 pm

Quote :
There are among us some fellows with extremely well trained and sensitive palates.

I once met a tea taster. He knew everything about tea taste. But he knew nothing, and could know nothing, about my taste buds, being that he could not get inside my skin and brain.

The most sensitive and trained palate can only speak for himself. Every man is an island; we can't even know if what I see as "blue", and call "blue", is the same as what you see as "blue" and call "blue". We can't see through the other's eyes.

I don't taste any putative special taste that Petersons impart on tobacco. Others' self-proclaimed trained sensitivity changes nothing on that front.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:58 pm

To be graced by such enlightenment... Almost mind numbing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Gentlemen, we are talking about a hunk of wood with a couple holes drilled in it affraid cheers

If some super sensitive-trained palate person(s) who is ever so humble tastes something that in their mind is imparted by a Pete, so be it. Does that make those of us who enjoy/love Pete pipes somehow LESS THAN in the community's eyes?

Give me a break will ya?

Last edited by kilted1 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Gentlemen? Whatcho talkin bout Kilted???????????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Interesting discussion. I like many of the shapes of Peterson pipes and their silver work, however I never bought any based on the abundant comments about how hard the break-in is. I wonder if Iím missing something. But Iím not willing to do any sanding or other type of work on a new pipe: for that price it must be good out of the box!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:57 pm

I have NEVER sanded the tobacco chamber on a Pete or any other pipe for that matter. I expect ANY pipe at any price by any maker to have a 'break in period', its just the nature of wood and tobacco coming together for the first couple of times. I find Pete's no better or worse in regards to break in, I don't however like the P-Lip at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Eulenburg wrote:
I once met a tea taster. He knew everything about tea taste. But he knew nothing, and could know nothing, about my taste buds, being that he could not get inside my skin and brain.
He doesn't need yours.

Fact.

He has his.
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:18 pm

The bottom line is that a Pete just can't hold a candle to a Brissett or a Kaywooie! Very Happy That's just a fact.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:28 pm

On one hand I agree....
For not to much more than a Pete one can score a handmade pipe built to suit him...

Kaywoodie??? Can't say much for them. I hear they are producing some pipes worthy of purchase now but I've yet to have the desire to aquire one.

But its hard to knock a Pete..especially an estate Pete. They are good pipes. I have heard they have quit the dip stain but haven't bought a new one to be able to verify it one way or the other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:00 pm

puros_bran wrote:
On one hand I agree....
For not to much more than a Pete one can score a handmade pipe built to suit him...

Kaywoodie??? Can't say much for them. I hear they are producing some pipes worthy of purchase now but I've yet to have the desire to aquire one.

But its hard to knock a Pete..especially an estate Pete. They are good pipes. I have heard they have quit the dip stain but haven't bought a new one to be able to verify it one way or the other.

You'd have to get to the hand made KW to even consider them near the lower level Petes. I know there are entire forums devoted to KW, but for the love of God, spend an extra 20 bucks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:16 pm

JP wrote:
The bottom line is that a Pete just can't hold a candle to a Brissett or a Kaywooie!"
You're not a bad guy, JP.

But your taste in pipes is about on a par with your spelling. No

And your taste in tobacco lol!

What a Face

Last edited by Yak on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:17 pm

I saw some nice Kaywoodie hand mades at the pipe show,but what would be
the resale value?Not great I think.Peterson on the other hand hold their value
so that when you see a new pipe you want then you have something to sell to get
it.
Thinning the herd every once in a while keeps those new pipes coming in so I
always want a pipe that I can sell somewhere close to what I paid for it.It is the
occasional turnover that makes the hobby fun for me.

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:21 pm

TO..

Other than Grayfox I don't even know where one would go about purchasing a Kaywoodie... The lack of information doesn't upset me one iota. I'll stick to my Stanwells & Petes. If I stray off that path its for the occasional lessor priced Dane like Winslow or something along that line..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:34 pm

My new Pete is smoking great and breaking in nicely.
Smokers Forum POY '09.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Pondering   Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Wow Hermit, now everyone can see that it's dip stained and full of fills affraid

Just kidding Hermit, very nice looking Pete there cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pondering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next