HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

newbie taste question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: newbie taste question   Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:45 pm

This may seem like a goofy question but I am trying to learn the characteristics of various tobaccos and figure out the ones I like most. I have only been back to pipe smoking a few months and have been sampling - and enjoying - some pretty good tobacco. I got a new shipment of Gawirths Commonwealth today. I had a little bit of it a while back and decided to buy more from Cup o Joes. I don't have a very educated palate yet but I think I detect a taste that it shares with another brand I have been sampling - Middleton's Walnut. I think it must be the Latakia since both the Commonwealth and Walnut contain some. Am I right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: newbie taste question   Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:54 pm

I haven't had Walnut nor do I know if it contains latakia. But I am familiar with Commonwealth. I can say that you definately taste the latakia in it. This would mean you like English blends. I would like to recommend Pirate Kake.

Does anyone know if walnut is an English blend?
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: newbie taste question   Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Some question whether Walnut is indeed tobacco Laughing Others are loyal to it the way an old hound clings to a bone ...

I believe that Walnut does contain a fair amount of Latakia, and is considered an Americanized English mixture.

JustPipes is the resident expert on the blend as I recall ...

As to English mixtures in general, SG Commonwealth is considered an English mixture, but breaks with the 'traditional formulation' in that it is a 50/50 mixture of Steamed Virginias (likely African grown) and Latakia. A more 'traditional mix' would be Latakia, Virginia, Orientals, and possibly additional Perique or Burley. The recipe varies greatly.

Some English mixture touchstones of mine:

SG Sqaudron Leader

Greg Pease (AKA GLP) Blackpoint
GLP Odyssey
GLP Ashbury
GLP Charring Cross

C&D Star of the East
C&D Easy Times (an Americanized English, lots of great Kentucky Burley)

Robert McConnell Oriental

Peretti Royal Blend
Peretti Omega
Peretti Oriental No.40
Peretti Smith's Own

Others will doubtless have many recommendations as well.

Welcome to the brotherhood, stop by and post often! cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: newbie taste question   Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:03 am

Walnut does contain a very very small percentage of Latakia. I believe that it is primarily as with most Middleton blends, a Burley based blend. I also believe that it has a bit of ribbon cut Virginia and a small amount of Oriental leaf. Below is a link to a review I did on Walnut a few years ago and then posted it on this board.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/reviews-f15/ok-you-asked-for-itjohn-middleton-s-walnut-t160.htm

You might also want to read this review of Commonwealth Mixture.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/reviews-f15/commonwealth-mixture-sam-gawith-t3746.htm

What I find similar based on the reviews is the fact that the tobaccos are married together so well that a particular component does not dominate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: newbie taste question   Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 pm

I think if you like Commonwealth you would benefit by following the recommendations, above. I've only smoked 2 oz of Walnut but again agree with Justpipes' analysis of the blend, that it contains only a very small proportion of Latakia, which is a very smoky tobacco that is the basis of English blends and a driving component in Balkan blends.

So it seems that you like both Latakia (English and Balkan) blends (Commonwealth) and burley blends (Walnut).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

newbie taste question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1