HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pistols.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Ruger .44 mag superblackhawk hunter, 2 1/2 power scope,,had Bob Munden do the trigger job
S&W .357 model 360,,,less than a pound carry weight
S&W model 41,,,.22 target,,,more accurate than me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:07 pm

I have only owned 4 pistols in my life and only shot a few others. I currently have 2 of them. I owned 2 S&W 38 revolvers, one with a 4" barrel and the other was about a 2" barrel and nickle plated. I don't remember the model numbers. I liked both of them. I carried the longer one in a regular belt holster when I thought it was necessary and the shorter in a concealed shoulder holster when I thought it was even more necessay. I currently have a 4" barrel H&R 22 caliber long rifle and a 2" barrel H&R 32 caliber. Both are decent guns and serve the purpose. I have 5 long guns. 2 22 rifles and 3 shotguns. I have never been a huge gun enthusiast other than having them for the practicality and necessity. I have considered picking up a few more, again for what might become a necessity.

Oh yeah, I once shot a 41 magnum NC highway patrol issue that a girl I once knew snook away from a trooper she was mess'n with. Laughing I really liked that pistol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Favorite Guns & Belgium's murder rate   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:10 pm

claessenpipes wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:

That's too bad because I'm willing to bet the bad guys have guns there... Here theyve armed the good guys.

And still we've way less gun related crime! So what's the use of having firearms? Does the good guys posessing guns stop the criminals? Don't think so.

Here are the 2008 Homicide rates per 100,000:

Brussels, Belgium: 10
New York, United States: 6 !!!!!!!!

I think the facts speak for themselves. It's real easy to assume that the United States is a "violent" place. The facts state otherwise. The population of New York State is:19,254,630 vs. Brussels, Belgium: 2,700,000.

Back to the question at hand,
I have several favorites. My top choices in order: 1) Kimber Pro-Carry .45ACP (Trigger & Bevel Job), 2) Browning Hi-Power 9mm (Belgian ! OH NO!!!!), 3) S&W Model 64 .38cal and last but not least, my FN-FAL .308 Combat Rifle (HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!! ANOTHER EVIL BELGIAN GUN!!!!!!) They sure make a lot of guns for a country that's not allowed to have them Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:12 pm

I am quite fond of the Ithaca Model 1911 A1 US Army Model with pearl grips I inherited from my late father. It's a beautiful weapon.

When going about town I protect myself and my family from violent offenders with my S&W Model 915. It was the first pistol I ever purchased on my own back in 1992. I have nicer and more celebrated pistols, but this one would do the job just fine. Plus, it's like a fishing pipe. If it slipped and fell in the lake I wouldn't miss it quite as much (monetarily speaking) as a $750.00 pistol.

I enjoy plinking with my Browning Buckmark .22. My friends and I will go up to the farm and throw a tennis ball out about 10 feet then shoot it out to 30 feet as a sort of "race." Amazing how accurate you can get practicing shooting at a tennis ball.

There's others, but those I find interesting.

FWIW: It is interesting that Israel pretty much arms everyone and their grandmother but has the lowest firearm violence rate in the world. Just saying - guns don't cause the problem. Bad people do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 pm

I only have two, but my wife wants to get at least one more.
A S&W 59 (9mil nickel) and a S&W 686 (.357 stainless).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:50 pm

EJinVA wrote:
claessenpipes wrote:
Americans and their toys.
I'll stick to my pipes. The worst thing I could do with those is throw them at somebody. Smile

Happy puffin', guys.

Fella yer walking into a hornets nest!

Let him have his fun... Yes guns are bad, pipes good. We get it. Good luck to you sir!
You wouldn't like it here in America where we're all a bunch of lawless radicals....

Here in Texas the guys that carry legally are your outstanding citizens. Most think I'm more dangerous without my guns.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:53 pm

claessenpipes wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:

That's too bad because I'm willing to bet the bad guys have guns there... Here theyve armed the good guys.

And still we've way less gun related crime! So what's the use of having firearms? Does the good guys posessing guns stop the criminals? Don't think so.

Belgium's second largest city, Antwerp, saw crime rates about 20% below those of Brussels. Liège and Charleroi, industrial cities with high unemployment rates, saw more elevated crime rates than the less industrialized cities of Ghent and Bruges. The rural areas are generally extremely safe.

In the 1990s and early 2000s, attacks on money transit vans were perpetrated, often killing the security agents in charge, and the country was hit by several large-scale crime scandals, such as those of the Brabant Wallon killers, the hormone-mafia and the Dutroux case.[citation needed] More recently, some scandals have emerged regarding coruption and misuse of public ressources (such as ICDI affair). In addition, petty crimes such as street thefts, purse snatchings, and pickpocketing can be found in the main city centers, but remain limited in scale.[citation needed] Car theft used to occur frequently, but is in strong diminution in the last decade [2].

Another recent development is a steep increase in violent armed robberies carried out by minors

Terrorism and crime

Besides general safety issues in some boroughs, Brussels reportedly serves as a hub for terrorists, as reported by various sources such as Interpol, and local newspapers such as Het Nieuwsblad and Het Volk. In the same boroughs that pose safety problems (e.g. Sint-Jans-Molenbeek, Schaarbeek, ...) there is radicalisation and active recruitment by terrorist organizations such as al-Qaeda.[citation needed]. This remains however very limited in scale, the occurrence of Belgian nationals directly linked to international terrorism hovering around 0.1-1 per million inhabitants for the last decade [5].

The two Tunisian nationals who assassinated Commander Massoud in Afghanistan had fake Belgian passports, and the Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group (Groupe Islamique Combattant Marocain, or GICM) has links in Belgium too - there were arrests in Brussels and Antwerp of individuals involved in the Madrid bombing. As a result, stringent measures were taken against passport and other official documents forging.

Belgium has also seen "hate crimes" against visible minorities recently, including the Hans Van Themsche case, the Patrick Mombaerts case or other acts of racist violence.[citation needed]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Guess the hate crimes are carried out with blunt objects....
Back to top Go down
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:01 pm

I have beautiful custom wood grips on my Beretta 92F,cocobola wood.
I think as a guy into pipes it just comes natural that you want to replace
those sterile black plastic grips with beautiful wood.There are so many grips
to dress up and customize your pistol with,ivory,stag,and dozens of exotic
woods.Makes all the difference,those custom grips. Smile

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Winslow wrote:

Winslow sunny

My equinox has custom wood handles. How is that 92? I have had 3 Berettas and all three gave me problems..
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:43 pm

I had a 686 with a 2.5 or 2.75 in bbl that I had Black Silver Wood grips put on...gawd that was a pretty gun... Even if I mised the fireball flying out the business end would get you...lol..the muzzle flash was incredible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 pm

All "my" pistols are really my grandmother's... she was a hell of shot in her day. There's a Colt ACP in smaller than the customary .45... .32 perhaps? I don't know who made the revolver, but it's a .22, suitable for plinking cans, and thus doesn't get much use. Then there's the .22 derringer... more of a showpiece, but it makes me smile to think of Grandma, walking around LA with that little gun in her purse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:24 pm

Winslow wrote:

Winslow sunny
Hey Winslow,
Check these out!
http://www.esmeralda.cc/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Here are cocobola grips on 2 of my pieces;

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 pm

For anyone interested, I know a pipe maker who is an avid (competition) pistol shooter and he's been known to make pistol grips out of briar! He actually had a business of sorts doing it a couple of years ago.

Joel Shapiro of Rancho Cordova, California

Tell him kilted1 sent you, I own one of his early pipes and we used to chat frequently on ASP chat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:10 am

claessenpipes wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:

And still we've way less gun related crime! So what's the use of having firearms? Does the good guys possessing guns stop the criminals? Don't think so.
You might have a tough time trying to sell that to a couple here in Arizona. Two days ago two thugs "with guns" invaded a house. Busted open the front door with guns drawn and threating to kill. The good news was that it just happened that both the husband and wife owned guns and dropped the thugs in the living room. One dead, one wounded. Better them then the home owners IMHO. More times than not the good guys possessing firearms "do" stop the criminals. Look at the statistics in Australia when they confiscated and destroyed law abiding citizens of their guns. The so call criminals that you speak of kept theirs. Violent gun related crime is up something like 20%. I am a firm believer that if "someone" does not want to possess or is uncomfortable around firearms then by all means do not own one. But I have a tough time when these type of people think that I shouldn't own a firearm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:18 am

Oh, I forgot the original question. Three favorite pistols; Springfield XD (in either 40 or 45acp). All of mine are extremely accurate. The funny thing is the best of the lot is my short barreled conceal carry version in 40 caliber. The next would be my S&W model 25 revolver in 45 long Colt. The last would be either one of my S&W Model 3 Schofield's (Uberti or Beretta, the Uberti being the higher quality IMHO even though Beretta now owns Uberti) in 45 long Colt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:28 am

Well, those of you that know me personally know that I am as peaceful as a Teddy Bear, but if you're dumb enough to break into my home or want to do me or my friends bodily harm, then you have the right to have me provide you with a third asshole (I've been taught you pull the trigger twice).

I've seen alot of people hurt because they couldn't shoot back. Keep your hate crime, keep your hatred; I'll keep my guns. Here we have a saying: 12 jurors is better than 6 pallbearers.

God Bless America!!!
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition.

My name is Texxas, and I approve of this message. How's that for change?
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:33 am

claessenpipes wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:

Maybe you are unaware of our US Constitution:

U.S. Constitution: Second Amendment
Second Amendment - Bearing Arms
Amendment Text

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Part of the reason for owning guns is to protect us FROM our government should it become a tyranny!

For some background on the legislation and history surrounding this article I direct your attention here:

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:47 am

claessenpipes wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:

Well, buddy, not sure you can understand this, but here in America we have something called civic duty. So yes, licensed individuals here do stop criminals. In fact, if I see a law enforcement officer in need of assistance I am obligated as a license holder to render aid.

Actually as a certified first aid and cpr trainee, good sumaritan laws in many states require me to render aid if I see someone in danger. So, no, I can't smoke my pipe while someone dies.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyO

Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:29 am

these are what I own and are thus my favorites lol

S&W M&P Compact .40SW

Ruger P97DC .45ACP

High Point Compact 9mm...bought it, brand new, $99! It actually shoots pretty good, haven't had many problems, the grip feels nice in the hand though I did put a hogue rubber grip over it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: guns vs. no guns   Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:42 am

Texas Outlaw wrote:
claessenpipes wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
How do people in Beligium protect their wifes n daughters from getting raped?

Or their house from getting robbed?

Or themselves from being strongarmed by a group of thugs?

We're not allowed to have guns. The result of this policy is that we have a lot less murders, violent robberies and gun related violence.
Not bad, isn't it? You should try it.
Idea

When I moved to Canada from the US it was in the middle of winter, and it wasn't until Spring that I was sure that the police were carrying weapons. That was in 1968 and in the the intervening 40 years I have seen police with their guns drawn a total of four occasions.

In 2007 (latest statistics I could find) Toronto [2 1/2 million pop.] had 84 homicides. Personally I think this is because with the limited number of firearms available if you want to kill your borther in law for taking the last Thanksgiving turkey leg you have to get within arms reach, you can't just go get your gun and blast away from the doorway.

While some of our legal restrictions have been misguided, like the ill conceived gun registry and the lack of understanding of the rifle and shotgun as tools in rural areas by urban politicians and citizens alike, most Canadians support the idea of restricted gun ownersihip. Gun owners here are required to keep their guns safely, ie. locked and with ammo stored seperately.

End result in Canada, citizens generally don't expect to get shot at by the police, police don't approach citizens with their guns out and expecting to use them. And if you see someone with a gun who isn't a cop, a sldier, or in a hunting sityation, you can assume he's a "bad guy".

Under the law here, committing a crime with the threat of a gun or other weapon is punishable almost as strongly as doing so with a gun. Hand the bank teller you have a gun in your pocket and its only your finger, "KACHING!", armed robbery.

Do we have rapes and burgularies, sure. Do we have more, I don't think so.

It seems to work, so don't knock it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
claessenpipes

Registration date : 2009-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:50 am

Texas Outlaw wrote:

I think the facts speak for themselves. It's real easy to assume that the United States is a "violent" place. The facts state otherwise. The population of New York State is:19,254,630 vs. Brussels, Belgium: 2,700,000.

You're focusing on one city in particular now, Texas Outlaw. If you look up crime statistics for the entire country you get a whole different picture.
By the way, I believe that in New York you're not allowed either to run around carrying guns.

I'm really surprised by the aggressivity of some of you guys. I thought that pipesmokers were a more peaceful bunch and I was wondering if a pipesmokers forum is the right place for a gun related topic. It was not my intention to mock the gun possessing crowd. We Europeans are always a bit baffled about all the guns in your country. Most of us go through life without ever seeing a hand gun from up close. In the 80's I did my military service where I practised with different kind of hand guns and machine guns, even a M 50 and a LAW (kind of a bazooka). It was always great fun. I don't hate guns as such but I wouldn't like the idea that every guy you cross on the street could be "packing".

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://web.me.com/claessenpipes
JohnnyO

Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:02 am

claessenpipes wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:

You're focusing on one city in particular now, Texas Outlaw. If you look up crime statistics for the entire country you get a whole different picture.
By the way, I believe that in New York you're not allowed either to run around carrying guns.

True, but I doubt you have the street gangs that our cities have...we have several major cities with large gangs...it doesn't matter how much we outlaw guns, I guarantee you these gangs will always have guns...Automatic weapons are illegal here in California but guess what sucka, all of these gang members have guns...This adds on to our US statistics, as does violence spilling over from mexico. Did you know a city in the US is the #1 city for kidnapping outside of mexico city? and why is this? Cause of the mexican drug cartels...
it's not just rednecks shooting each other over the last turkey leg Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pistols.   Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:16 am

Yessir you heard it hear first fellows.... Guns toters are aggresive psycopaths looking for poor Canadians and Europeons to Shoot at over turkey legs....

Once again I'll ask, Why are you in here commenting if you don't like firearms, This isnt a debate area over whether they are right or wrong... Its simple a thread about what you like. Go on and post a review or something and leave it alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pistols.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next