HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Old Boy question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:50 pm

Hey Guys,
My Old Boy has been giving me some problems lighting. I was thinking it was the flint wheel, so I sent them an email and got this in return:

It depends on how old your lighter is.

A worn out flint wheel is not considered a failure and not
covered under warranty.

If your lighter is fairly new check to make sure you don't have
a sliver of flint stuck blocking new flint.

But, I've been sitting here messing with it, so it may be clogged up. Does anyone here do maintence on lighters. According to this guy it's going to cost me 16 dollars to fix the flint wheel, but I"m not convinced it is the flint striker.
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm really surprised at what they said about the warranty. I always thought that the guarantee was pretty much iron clad, it breaks, we fix it. Go figure. Still at $16 you probably couldn't find anyone else to do it at that price. Looks like you are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Well, I"m at a loss now. The lighter is about a year old. I do use it alot. But I stay away from auto ignition cause they usually go bad. If I'm going to wear out a flint wheel once a year, this isn't the lighter for me.

anyone ever wear out a zippo?
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:41 pm

I agree with you. The thing shouldn't wear out in a year. Mine is probably at least seven years old now and I haven't worn it out. Did you tell them in your email that it was only a year old, and if so then alls I can think of about the guy who answered you back is "What a Putz........ affraid " Time to get that Xikar pipe lighter if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:12 pm

A situation that's fooled a lot of Old Boy owners into thinking they have a problem when they don't, is a clogged spark wheel. Meaning the tiny grooves have filled with flint binder (aka glue), soot, and skin oils from your thumb. The combination is then cooked by heat into a hard, varnish-like glaze.

No solvent will clean it (that I've found, anyway) because it's mechanically impacted; and no brush I've found is both stiff enough and has sufficiently fine bristles to reach into the grooves.

Easy to do with a common sewing needle, though. Best is to use a magnifier when working. Just trace the point through the grooves using moderate pressure, one at a time, until you've gone all the way around the wheel.

It's like having a new lighter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Very COOL advice LL and probably the same technique resolves similar problems with most flint strike lighters cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:39 pm

We have these small brass brushes at work about the size of a toothbrush. I wonder if they would be stiff enough or small enough to work? Hank, if you would like I can send you one to give a try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:44 pm

No suggestions on your lighter, but to answer your question; I've never worn out a Zippo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Speaking of Zippo's, the local cigar shop has a Zippo insert for $12 that makes your lighter a torch lighter for cigars. Takes butane and is pretty slick IMHO. What will they come out with next. Never knew they had it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:36 pm

LL wrote:
A situation that's fooled a lot of Old Boy owners into thinking they have a problem when they don't, is a clogged spark wheel. Meaning the tiny grooves have filled with flint binder (aka glue), soot, and skin oils from your thumb. The combination is then cooked by heat into a hard, varnish-like glaze.

No solvent will clean it (that I've found, anyway) because it's mechanically impacted; and no brush I've found is both stiff enough and has sufficiently fine bristles to reach into the grooves.

Easy to do with a common sewing needle, though. Best is to use a magnifier when working. Just trace the point through the grooves using moderate pressure, one at a time, until you've gone all the way around the wheel.

It's like having a new lighter.

Man this is good info to have. Thanks for the post LL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Mikem wrote:
We have these small brass brushes at work about the size of a toothbrush. I wonder if they would be stiff enough or small enough to work? Hank, if you would like I can send you one to give a try.

That would be great Mike. I know IM Corona know come with a cleaning kit, which is basically a tiny bristle brush which I imagine is for cleaning the flint striker.

Remind me how y'all clean these things. alcohol and a q tip right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Here is the asteriks part of the IM Corona warranty that makes it useless for me:

Note: Warranty does not apply to outer case finishes and shall be void if lighter has been subjected
to misuse, accident, tampering or abuse of any kind. Damaged or worn out parts may incur
additional charges.

The warranty also mentions additional charges besides the 8 dollar shipping charge. All of a sudden, it doesn't seem like such a good deal...
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Old Boy question   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:27 pm

TO -- Unless your lighter's striker wheel was improperly tempered (unlikely), there is NO way it could have worn out in a year. Not even close. Get the varnish-y stuff off it, make sure the tension on the flint it right---do NOT stretch the spring... add a spacer if necessary---and I'm 99.9% sure you'll be back in business.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Old Boy question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1