HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share
 

 Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law
Centurian 803

Age : 69
Location : Oak Ridge, TN
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 am

I don't want to start a war (I'm told feelings run high on this topic) but would anyone care to weigh in on the relative merits of Irish Whisky (Jameson and Bushmill) as compared to American or Canadian whisky?
Which is better Jameson or Bushmill?
Which is better American, Irish or Candadian? scratch
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 9:08 am

Centurian 803 wrote:
I don't want to start a war (I'm told feelings run high on this topic) but would anyone care to weigh in on the relative merits of Irish Whisky (Jameson and Bushmill) as compared to American or Canadian whisky?
Which is better Jameson or Bushmill?
Which is better American, Irish or Candadian? scratch

Humm, not sure.
Guess this calls for a test! drunken
Let you know in a few days.......Hic.

I've never tried Irish, but enjoy American quite often, Canadian on occasion. I never felt one was better than the other, just a slight difference in taste.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

Age : 40
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 am

Comparing types of whisky is like comparing a pickup truck to a minivan to a sportscar--depends what you need, and you can get a great one or a lousy one in any category. For me, if I want an inexpensive whisky, to mix or because I'm broke, I prefer American rye or bourbon, but that may just be because the selection is best for me in America. If I can go top shelf, it's bourbon for me if it isn't scotch.

Given the choice and the cash-in-hand, my favorite Irish whiskey is Bushmill's Black... Bushmill's in general is more to my tastes, not as heavy as Jameson. (Don't believe the old chestnut about Jameson/Bushmill's being a Catholic/Protestant debate--that myth is thoroughly busted here.)
Back to top Go down
http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Age : 69
Location : Dayton, Tennessee
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 11:10 am

My preference runs to Bourbon over either Irish or Canadian. Some bourbons are as complex in flavor profile as the finest whiskeys in the world. This is particularly true in the single barrel range of several bourbons, most notably the Van Winkles. My favorite Whiskey of all of them is single malt scotch with Highland Park 18 yo and Macallan 18 leading the pack.
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Age : 73
Location : Northeast Georgia
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 2:59 pm

For me it depends what I'm in the mood for. For a long time I mostly drank George Dickel...#8 for mixing and #12 for sipping.

When I went to Ireland about 10 years ago, I toured both the Bushmill's distillery and the Jameson's and came away for a fondness of Irish whiskeys. My favorite after sampling all available nearby is Bushmill's 10 though Bushmill's Black Bush is not far behind. For the price Kilbeggan is very good and Powers Gold is too. If you have deep pockets Middleton Rare is super.

During a hunting trip to British Columbia a few years ago, the host introduced me to Wiser's Deluxe which after sampling the better known Canadian whiskys became my favorite. Then during a hunting trip last fall, I was introduced to Pendleton Canadian which is very good too. For deep pockets Crown Royal Cask #16 is very nice.

The bottom line is I keep several bottles of each type on hand in an attempt to keep my changing pallet satisfied and can't say which is the best. That's for you to decide what is best for you.

Jim...my ha'pence worth
Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law
Centurian 803

Age : 69
Location : Oak Ridge, TN
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 pm

Ok, this is getting good. I'll add my widow's mite. Between Jameson & Bushmill I find I prefer Bushmill. It seems to me to have more fruity notes than the Jameson. As for American Whiskies I use to be a big fan of Maker's Mark but now seem to prefer Jack Daniels. I hear George Dickel is good and need to try it. I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm a whiskey drinker, and I can say they all have their place in my bar. I prefer Bushmills, but it is just peronal taste. I use them to make a few drinks, namely my Belfast Bombers. I also like to sip Irish whiskey when I drink Guiness.

By American do you mean blended whiskey? or Bourbon?

I do like my Forty Creek, and I find it to be a fine spirit to accompany cigars.

My preference is small batch bourbon and 12+ year old scotch with McClelland 18 being my favorite right now.

I guess my answer is: whatever I'm in the mood for.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 12:59 pm

I too am a George Dickel fan. It's hands down better than Jack Daniel which seems syrupy to my taste. YOu need to try the Barrel Select, which I consider a small batch.

I could of swore that I had a 24 year GD, but I cannot find the empy bottle, so it may have been the 12.

Incidentally, I keep different bourbons in the house. Right now I have Booker's, Baker's, Jim Beam (for mixing), Elijah Craig 12.
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Age : 73
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 pm

I will occasionally sip a single-barrel bourbon. Other than perhaps George Dickel, I don't care for any other American or Canadian whiskey. Irish I absolutely love; Jameson and Bushmills both high on the list. We prefer the older and/or the single-malt ones. We visited the Jameson distillery two years ago. Brought back several bottles of their "Distillery Reserve" 12-year old whiskey. We drink our "Irish" just as we do our "Scotch," neat or with a wee dram o' spring water. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:25 pm

ftrplt wrote:
I will occasionally sip a single-barrel bourbon. Other than perhaps George Dickel, I don't care for any other American or Canadian whiskey. Irish I absolutely love; Jameson and Bushmills both high on the list. We prefer the older and/or the single-malt ones. We visited the Jameson distillery two years ago. Brought back several bottles of their "Distillery Reserve" 12-year old whiskey. We drink our "Irish" just as we do our "Scotch," neat or with a wee dram o' spring water. FTRPLT

Damn, you boys are makin me thirsty! drool
I might have to make a stop on the way home!
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Age : 73
Location : Northeast Georgia
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Centurian 803 wrote:
I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.

Based on your preference for Bushmills with its fruity note, I'd recommend Pendleton as a good place to start. I believe it's made in Oregon but bottled in Canada to make it "authentic" Canadian.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law
Centurian 803

Age : 69
Location : Oak Ridge, TN
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 10:30 pm

Ol'Dawg wrote:
Centurian 803 wrote:
I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.

Based on your preference for Bushmills with its fruity note, I'd recommend Pendleton as a good place to start. I believe it's made in Oregon but bottled in Canada to make it "authentic" Canadian.

Jim
'
Thanks, I'll look for that at my local pkg store.
Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law
Centurian 803

Age : 69
Location : Oak Ridge, TN
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Texas Outlaw wrote:
I too am a George Dickel fan. It's hands down better than Jack Daniel which seems syrupy to my taste. YOu need to try the Barrel Select, which I consider a small batch.

I could of swore that I had a 24 year GD, but I cannot find the empy bottle, so it may have been the 12.

Incidentally, I keep different bourbons in the house. Right now I have Booker's, Baker's, Jim Beam (for mixing), Elijah Craig 12.

Been planning a trip to the Dickel distillery. Guess this would be a good time to go. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 pm

I did end up trying the Jameson, It was good but for the money I'll just stick with my Rye or Bourbon.
Back to top Go down
SailorJack

SailorJack

Age : 65
Location : Exit 109 New Jersey
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 pm

If you want to try a really good Irish whiskey than I would suggest John Powers Gold Label. It is probably the smoothest whiskey I have ever had. It's not #1 in Ireland for nothing.
I still prefer a good Bourbon but this is a good change of pace for me.
Back to top Go down
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

Age : 41
Location : Birmingham, AL
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 7:32 pm

SailorJack wrote:
If you want to try a really good Irish whiskey than I would suggest John Powers Gold Label. It is probably the smoothest whiskey I have ever had. It's not #1 in Ireland for nothing.
I still prefer a good Bourbon but this is a good change of pace for me.
Whole hearty agree
My Grandda only drank Powers
And between it and Paddys I would have a hard time a choosin
Back to top Go down
jrtaster



Age : 78
Location : Cape Cod, MA
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: irish   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 12:39 pm

well i drink bourbons ,american ryes and irish.
haven't seen any references to tullamore dew, an excellent irish... smooth, tasty and expensive... but worth it if you lov e irish
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Recently tried the Crown Royal, very good!
I noticed the last trip to the local ABC they are stocking the Wild Turkey Rye which JP turned me on to last year, excellent IMO (I am partial to Rye when I can find it). I typically pick up the Jim Beam Rye (which one of the three local ABC's regularly stocks) when I'm in the mood for it, but in the fall they stock the WT Rye here in VA. I've asked about Van Winkle Rye (highly recommended by JP) which they tell me they can order.
Back to top Go down
lapress33

lapress33

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 pm

Bushmills over Jameson, but for pure ease of drinking It is always a canadian blend like Canadian club or classic 12 or Seagrams 7 or VO or Black Velvet
Back to top Go down
bruins

bruins

Age : 50
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 pm

Centurian 803 wrote:
Ok, this is getting good. I'll add my widow's mite. Between Jameson & Bushmill I find I prefer Bushmill. It seems to me to have more fruity notes than the Jameson. As for American Whiskies I use to be a big fan of Maker's Mark but now seem to prefer Jack Daniels. I hear George Dickel is good and need to try it. I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.

george dickel showed up at a bourbon tasting a year ago, though like jack daniels, it's not a bourbon and the guy who brought it took a razzing. all the same, i fell in love with it. very earthy, lots of dark tones, barrel and whatnot.

i've tried various irish whiskeys without success. there's a metallic, copper taste in there i don't care for. with so many top notch american bourbons to enjoy, from the salon whiskey's of old grandad 114, bullet, wild turkey rare breed (god, i'm starting to sweat now), to rich sweet single barrels, the bakers and bookers (got that for a present a month ago--wow, good stuff)--anyway, my long winded point is, i'm happy to stick with american in this department.
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Hunter5117

Age : 64
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:55 pm

Growing up in Canada, Canadian Club was always the whisky of choice, but it was mostly mixed with coke or ginger. Now a days, I never mix anything except a drop of water, but CC has remained my favorite everyday Canadian. I had a couple bottles of Black Velvet reserved which was an 8 yo Canadian that was quite nice, but have not seen it locally for a while. I will drink Crown when someone else is buying but don't find it is worth the price otherwise.

I have not partaken of Irish whiskey for quite a while, but if memory serves Jamesons was usually my choice, possibly just because it was easy to find vs the other brands. My econ professor in college was a big Jamesons fan and I think that is where I got introduced to it. I have only been drinking bourbon for a few years so far, and Makers Mark is a safe, easy to find choice when I do. Don't like JD, Wild Turkey is pretty tasty and I do buy it for a change from time to time.
Back to top Go down
fmw

fmw

Age : 34
Location : The Netherlands
Registration date : 2010-07-12

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 pm

I'd take Bushmills over Jameson any day. But I have a question for you American bourbon lovers: do you have any recommendations? Of course, I'm familiar with Jack Daniels and Four Roses, but that's about it from your side of the pond.

I had a look at the site of a well stocked whisky shop over here and here are some of the American whiskeys they offer: (ri)¹, Blanton, Baker's, Colorado Stranahan's, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, George Dickel, George T. Stagg, Hancock's Reserve, Hirsch, I.W. Harper, Johnny Drum, Maker's Mark, McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt, Noah's Mill, Old Potrero, Parker's Heritage Selection, Pure Kentucky, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Rock Hill Farms, Rowan's Creek, Sazerac Rye, Wild Turkey and Woodford.

Sorry for the long list, but that is about half of what they have in stock (I excluded the cheapest stuff). I'm curious to try some "premium" US whiskey or at least some of the "good stuff". I'm not up for paying a few hundred euro for a bottle, but don't mind the price of a typical bottle of decent Scotch as a bottle usually lasts me for at least a month.
Back to top Go down
Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Age : 36
Location : Brooklyn
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 5:17 pm

I've heard that Jameson and Bushmills and in fact all Irish distilleries except for one are now owned by non-Irish companies/entities. I can't remember what their name is though for the life of me, they make a few different products.

All in all I am biased towards American styles (bourbon and rye mostly), but also enjoy Jameson from time to time as well as scotch (recently tried Highland Park 12 which was fantastic). Each has something different to offer.

I don't think I've ever had canadian whiskey, is Canadian Club a good place to start?
Back to top Go down
bruins

bruins

Age : 50
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 7:27 pm

fmw wrote:
I'd take Bushmills over Jameson any day. But I have a question for you American bourbon lovers: do you have any recommendations? Of course, I'm familiar with Jack Daniels and Four Roses, but that's about it from your side of the pond.

I had a look at the site of a well stocked whisky shop over here and here are some of the American whiskeys they offer: (ri)¹, Blanton, Baker's, Colorado Stranahan's, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, George Dickel, George T. Stagg, Hancock's Reserve, Hirsch, I.W. Harper, Johnny Drum, Maker's Mark, McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt, Noah's Mill, Old Potrero, Parker's Heritage Selection, Pure Kentucky, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Rock Hill Farms, Rowan's Creek, Sazerac Rye, Wild Turkey and Woodford.

Sorry for the long list, but that is about half of what they have in stock (I excluded the cheapest stuff). I'm curious to try some "premium" US whiskey or at least some of the "good stuff". I'm not up for paying a few hundred euro for a bottle, but don't mind the price of a typical bottle of decent Scotch as a bottle usually lasts me for at least a month.

jack daniels and george dickel are made south of kentucky and due to the way they make it, are not considered bourbons. that said, they're both good stuff. wow, stay away from four roses. (at least i've yet to have a good one) maker's mark is made by jim beam, as is bookers, and bakers and are all top notch and a wonderful place to start. for that matter, straight jim beam is damn good and one of my staples. ridgemont reserve 1792, absolutely wonderful. of the wild turkeys, i prefer the wild turkey rare breed, which is a bit more pricey, but worth it if you ask me, but straight wild turkey is a nice kick in the pants. both elijah craig and woodford are high on my list as well. i'm pretty fluent in the bourbon category and you mentioned a few i've not heard of. maybe some others can comment on them. (or i'll sick my brother on you who goes to kentucky for their annual bourbon fest.)

to help you get started though, i'd begin with maker's mark for a very smooth, specialty bourbon. if you want what i call 'salon' whiskey (usually a bit harsher, higher alcohol content, and packs a 'hot damn!' at the end) try wild turkey, jim beam, or bullet if you can find it there.

have fun! it's as much fun as trying different tobaccos. (and keep us posted as to what you try and how you liked it)
Back to top Go down
Falconer

Falconer

Age : 68
Location : this side of Wichita
Registration date : 2010-06-12

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 pm

Believe me I've tried them all! It's Canadian for me. Northern Light for everyday, good quality, low price.
On special occasions Forty Creek or Pendleton. That being said this calls for a special occassion! Very Happy Like last night, St. Emmeloord Day in Holland. Sure I made it up but the wife doesn't know that!
Back to top Go down
 
Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Early Canadian Armoured Corps helmet
» Canadian Military Histories
» Hearing damage most common disability in Canadian Forces
» WW2 canadian Battledress? I need help...
» Is this a Canadian Bren Gun case?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: