Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SmokeyTweed

SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 9:44 pm

For my money on canadian whiskey it has to be Tangle Ridge, don't know about the availability down south or across the pond but it sure is smooth for a rye blend and great vanilla notes.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 9:44 pm

St. Emmeloord Day,,,as in Noordoostpolder, Netherlands?,,,, lol!

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
fmw

fmw

Registration date : 2010-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, Bruins. You gave me a good starting point for my next trip to the whiskyshop!

Falconer wrote:
Like last night, St. Emmeloord Day in Holland. Sure I made it up but the wife doesn't know that!
Hilarious! As someone from Holland it is especially funny.
Back to top Go down
Johnny

Johnny

Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 5:56 pm

My all time favorite is Jack Daniel's but I only drink it every once in a while because it's kind of expensive. I have friends that drink a lot of Jameson and Bushmill's so I tend to drink a lot of that. When I'm home, I drink mostly Evan Williams because it's cheap and it tastes good. The only Canadian I have tried is Black Velvet and I just don't like it.
Back to top Go down
bruins

bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 10:56 am

Johnny wrote:
My all time favorite is Jack Daniel's but I only drink it every once in a while because it's kind of expensive. I have friends that drink a lot of Jameson and Bushmill's so I tend to drink a lot of that. When I'm home, I drink mostly Evan Williams because it's cheap and it tastes good. The only Canadian I have tried is Black Velvet and I just don't like it.

my brother bought me evan williams in a big ass jug and i thought, 'oh boy, this is gonna be bad.' i was wrong, quite wrong. another cheap one i really enjoy (maybe it's just me) but i think ten high is a great salon whiskey.

Back to top Go down
Johnny

Johnny

Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 4:49 pm

Picked up a bottle of Old Crow today after reading a couple of folks here recommending it. It was only $13 bucks after tax. If it's good, it'll be a regular here Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Irish--I've always been a Bushmill's fan. I lean a little toward Black Bush. Michael Colllins single malt is quite good and reasonably priced, though a little higher than Bushmill. Americans--Dickel has always been a favorite. Can't stand Jack--rotgut...to me. In Bourbon's it's the Van Winkle clan--when I can afford them. However, my current fav is George Stagg--really fine, fine stuff, at $50-60. The only thing better are the high end Van Winkles. The small batch Beams are good--I like Baker's a little more than the others. I grew up drinking Old Taylor. Haven't had any in years. One that gets overlooked a lot is Old Forester. It's cheap but pretty tasty. Then the ryes. I just started on ryes a few years ago. I have some Sazerac and it's good stuff, but my favorite is Old Potrero--made in California...great stuff. Canadians. My "drink" when I'm out on the town is plain ole Calverts and seven. I don't care how drunk the bartender is--he can make the drink strong or weak--it still tastes like Calverts.
Back to top Go down
Falconer

Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Centurian 803 wrote:
Ol'Dawg wrote:
Centurian 803 wrote:
I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.

Based on your preference for Bushmills with its fruity note, I'd recommend Pendleton as a good place to start. I believe it's made in Oregon but bottled in Canada to make it "authentic" Canadian.

Jim
'
Thanks, I'll look for that at my local pkg store.

Pendleton is as smooth as butter!
Forty Creek is very good!
I like Northern light for an inexpensive Canadian Whisky.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 pm

I have no allegiance. I like whiskey. Period.

Jameson 1780 is the best Irish Whiskey I've had so far, but I haven't tried anything above the $30 mark.

I love bourbon. Affordable, but I don't sacrifice anything I like about whiskey in drinking it. I prefer the wheated variety. Sweet, maple syrup, molasses, prunes, caramel, etc. The only brand so far that has consistently made me want to stop drinking whiskey is anything out of the Jim Beam house. To some degree, it all tastes like petroleum product to me, from kerosene to lamp oil. Knob Creek is the least offender.

Scotch, I prefer it smokey, peaty, and robust. Tea, tobacco, and Scotch...all sharing those elements. Lagavulin has priced itself out of my market, but the 16 year old used to be a staple in my home.

To answer your question, purely by how often I seem to buy and drink it, I guess I'd have to say I have a preference for bourbon (American) over the others. I often see specials on Irish Whiskies, but I don't buy them. Too many bourbons I'd like to try staring back at me in the aisle.

A little something about Jack Daniels...I've found that Evan Williams for less than $10 a fifth is actually better than any of the JD products sub-$30. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking for some Sour Mash. It's a very simple, quick flavor, but it is smooth.
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
Slow Puffs

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 11:51 pm

I was a solid Crown Royal fella, but I thought recently I'd branch out and try some others. Presently, I'm testing Gibson's 12 year old. Very nice... better than the Gibson's "silver".
Back to top Go down
Falconer

Falconer

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 12:23 am

Hey! you can't go wrong with anything Canadian.....Canadian whisky....Canadian pipe shape...Canadian _ _ _hummm... can I get back to you on that?

Oh and Canadian geese and....
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
Slow Puffs

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 12:27 am

Falconer wrote:
Hey! you can't go wrong with anything Canadian.....Canadian whisky....Canadian pipe shape...Canadian _ _ _hummm... can I get back to you on that?

By the way... the Geese are heading your way, the younsters are getting trial runs... a warm, warm day today but they are heading south....

cheers
Back to top Go down
Falconer

Falconer

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 1:13 am

Slow Puffs wrote:
Falconer wrote:

By the way... the Geese are heading your way, the younsters are getting trial runs... a warm, warm day today but they are heading south....

cheers

Are you kidding SP? I live on a lake and they never leave! I don't know if we can handle anymore. Last year I had to slap one up side the head for goosing my wife during a walk along the lake. They can be mean buggers if they so desire.
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 1:44 am

Falconer wrote:
Slow Puffs wrote:
Falconer wrote:

cheers

Are you kidding SP? I live on a lake and they never leave! I don't know if we can handle anymore. Last year I had to slap one up side the head for goosing my wife during a walk along the lake. They can be mean buggers if they so desire.

New York City kills em by the thousands.

Mass goose murder

What a waste
Back to top Go down
Blackthorn

Blackthorn

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm a fan of Jameson, and typically I like Irish whiskey more than anything else, but I'm also known to enjoy Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey as well as Ancient Age bourbon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.traumaslavefans.com
pistolero

pistolero

Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 pm

bruins wrote:
Johnny wrote:

my brother bought me evan williams in a big ass jug and i thought, 'oh boy, this is gonna be bad.' i was wrong, quite wrong. another cheap one i really enjoy (maybe it's just me) but i think ten high is a great salon whiskey.

What they (and Xeno) said. Evan Williams is GREAT for the price. Simple but like the man said "it's cheap and tastes great" VERY smooth. The ABC here sometimes has killer specials on half gallon jugs around Christmas.
The Jim Beam stuff isn't bad.
When I'm feeling rich I prefer Maker's Mark for a treat.

Really good Carolina moonshine though, if I ever find any of that again I'm gonna stockpile a few gallons.

Last edited by pistolero on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 pm

An old professor of mine (actually, he's younger than I am but he was on my dissertation committee, go figure?) introduced me to Tullamore Dew. I think it's a fine Irish whiskey, esp. their 12 year old version. But like many here I mostly drink bourbon, and Evan Williams is one of the least expensive down here and just fine for Manhattans or mixing.

About the only blends in that category that I don't particularly care for are the Jack Daniels varieties. Unless, of course, your buying, in which case it's one of my favorite blends. Very Happy

Natch
Back to top Go down
bluedigital

bluedigital

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 3:31 am

Natch wrote:
An old professor of mine (actually, he's younger than I am but he was on my dissertation committee, go figure?) introduced me to Tullamore Dew. I think it's a fine Irish whiskey, esp. their 12 year old version. But like many here I mostly drink bourbon, and Evan Williams is one of the least expensive down here and just fine for Manhattans or mixing.

About the only blends in that category that I don't particularly care for are the Jack Daniels varieties. Unless, of course, your buying, in which case it's one of my favorite blends. Very Happy

Natch
Natch the Tullamore Dew is superb, if you liked that try and get some Bushmills, the 16 YO is excellent!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deanswanepoel.com
bluedigital

bluedigital

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 4:46 am

I am planning on attending a Whiskey festival next week here in Cape Town and will have the opportunity to sample a few different whiskeys. Well the ticket allows 12 tastings to be exact. Some input into what to sample would be greatly appreciated.
The only Canadian whiskey at the show is:
Canadian Club Classic.

As for the American whiskeys:

Blanton's Gold Edition
Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon
Eagle Rare 10 Year Old Single Barrel
Elmer T Lee Single Barrel
Hancock's
Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack
Jack Daniels Old No.7 Black Label
Jack Daniels Single Barrel Fruity
Jim Bean Black
Jim Bean White
Knob Creek
Makers Mark Fruity
Rock Hill Farm's Single Barrel
Sazerac Rye Straight Rye Whisky
Slate Bourbon whiskey
Wild Turkey
Woodford Reserve

I won't list all the Scottish and Irish whiskeys, far too many, any input is appreciated gents.
Back to top Go down
Greenleaf

Greenleaf

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 10:45 am

As Doc Manhattan pointed out, it depnds on what you need. I've been a bourbon drinker since I started off. It's good and strong, there's nothing finer in a shotglass than Jim Beam. Evan Williams is also pretty good and 86 proof, but I eventually got sick of it's sweetness. Old Crow was my old favorite becuase of the price and it will violate you good. Price being a consideration, I can seldom afford a sipping whiskey like an Irish, but Jameson would be my favorite for this purpose. Bushmills has a great alcohol taste, but not an abundance of flavor other than that.

Bluedigital, ever try Jim Beam Black? It's damn good and a practical choice given the price.

By the way, for any of you who spelled Irish whiskey without the "e," Ireland and America are the two countries that spell the word "whiskey."
Back to top Go down
http://thegreenleaffiles.blogspot.com
bluedigital

bluedigital

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 11:59 am

Hey Greenleaf, thanks for the info I will give the JB Black a try ... man I'm so looking forward to the festival drunken
Back to top Go down
pasq0321

pasq0321

Registration date : 2010-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 7:59 am

Jameson's has been my whiskey of choice for a long time now. Glad I came across this, I may end up looking for some of the other recommendations.
Back to top Go down
whiskeywillow

whiskeywillow

Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 am

I don't wish to offend anyone, and I'm deeply sorry if I do, but I hate Canadian whiskey.

I'd have to say that the best is Laphroaig scotch whisky, but since you asked about Irish and American...

I prefer Irish whiskey over American in general, but I'll drink American whiskeys because hey...there are some damn fine American whiskeys. Like anything else, it's a matter of taste.

My favorite Irish whiskeys are Jameson and Knappogue Castle. Knappogue also makes this amazing liqueur called Celtic Crossing, which is whiskey, cognac, and honey blended into mouth-happiness.

As far as American whiskey it really depends what I'm in the mood for. If I want a nice rye (which I often do; it's kind of reminiscent of an Islay whisky like Laphroaig) I'll drink Wild Turkey Rye. As for bourbon, I like Jim Beam alright but prefer their Knob Creek variety when I can get it. But my favorite American whiskey is Jack Daniels, it has a great flavor which I gather is from the process of filtering it through maple charcoal before aging.
Back to top Go down
IronKnight

IronKnight

Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Just My Opinion   Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Well to make it short and sweet, Jameson is my drink of choice (a small shot in a cup of Twining's Irish Tea with a good bowl of Carter Hall). Bourbon you should really try Bulliet, hands down beats Jack Daniels in complexity, but drink it neat or on the rocks. As far as Canadian, I find it to be the master of mixing with cola, btw, Forty Creek Barrel Select always beats Crown Royal in my home. I keep Gentleman Jack Daniels and Jim Beam Black/White and a small fifth of Makers Mark as well, but thats mostly for my guests on poker nights.
Back to top Go down

Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2