HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 am

Yesterday, July 1, was Canada Day. We live on a crescent and about 12 families got together for a neighbourhood barbecue, ranging from old folk like me to young tottlers and expectant moms. Everybody brought something to share.

Many of us knew each other anyway but there were new ones to meet. Chit-chat about most things... jobs, children, house projects and friends. It was a great time to bond.

Do any others get together with neighbours like this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 am

We call those block parties, pretty common here, but not in my neighborhood. Everyone sticks to themselves. In fact, I just found out that the fella that I see going in and out of my neighbor's house is a childhood friend of mine. I did say to him that we can still be friends instead of waving and running into the house each time we see each other. Guess I'm uglier than I thought...
Back to top Go down
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:13 pm

When I was a kid they were very common when we lived in smaller communities. I don't know most of my neighbors names anymore. Kind of sad.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com

PostSubject: Re: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:40 pm

Well I drive by a n eighborhood on the way to the gym, and they have block parties which I always participate in. It depends on the neighbors. The problem with my neighborhood was that it was seniors who were somewhat reclusive. As younger folk as myself move in, the hermit lifestyle rubs off on us.
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Not so much with the neighbors, unfortunately. However, we have a group couples we get together with on occasion. We BBQ, talk, drink beer/wine (one of the guys brews his own beer!!), and, of course, eat!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Out here in the boonies we used to have field parties. Usually on a local farm where a pile of trees had been cleared from a fence line being burned like a big bonfire. All the locals in their big ol pickups, somebody picked up a keg, somebody else playing Hank Williams Jr.
..."A country boy can survive"...
Sometimes it would start raining and everyone was drunk enough they would hold a midnight mud bog race around the field.
Damn those were the days!
Yea Haw!
(and yes! we used to watch The Dukes of Hazard religiously!)

Now a days all those farms are subdivided and a bunch of yankees & flatlanders have moved in. Any field parties get started now somebody calls the cops and it gets broken up. Sad
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:44 pm

A belated Happy Canada Day to you and your fellow countrymen SP cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 am

EJinVA wrote:
Out here in the boonies we used to have field parties. Usually on a local farm where a pile of trees had been cleared from a fence line being burned like a big bonfire. All the locals in their big ol pickups, somebody picked up a keg, somebody else playing Hank Williams Jr.
..."A country boy can survive"...
Sometimes it would start raining and everyone was drunk enough they would hold a midnight mud bog race around the field.
Damn those were the days!
Yea Haw!
(and yes! we used to watch The Dukes of Hazard religiously!)

Now a days all those farms are subdivided and a bunch of yankees & flatlanders have moved in. Any field parties get started now somebody calls the cops and it gets broken up. Sad

Are you my brother?
Back to top Go down
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering   Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:22 pm

Cool. I didn't get together with my neighbors, but a bunch if friends got together for some burgers. Then we went out and went for drinks, then watched the fireworks.

A good night for sure. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Canada Day Neighbourhood Gathering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: