HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

What's your favorite beer?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
PipeBrew

PipeBrew

Registration date : 2007-12-22

What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 11:58 pm

ftrplt wrote:
PB, this is an excellent selection!! What is your taste in beer, or better still, what would you like to try????? FTRPLT

I enjoy each different style for the difference in taste, but I don't know all of the styles and what represents each style well. Tonight at Knox Cigar Company, I had a Rocky Mountain IPA, which was the best beer I've had to date. There are a lot of beers at Knox Cigar now that they have a bar, but that's another thread.

Basically, I guess I'm saying that there are so many to choose from, I don't know where to start. Very similar to when I first started with the pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/saharanyeti
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 4:43 pm

PB....as usual I have a few suggestions!!! First, since you've already tried the IPA and enjoyed it; try each of the other IPAs at the Leaf &Ale!! Now I'm going to list most of the breweries with which I'm familiar. Each time you visit the L&A, pick up a bottle from say, five or six, of them and keep a log/diary of which ones you like and/or dislike. Many of my favs come from one of these:

Anchor Steam, Avery, Bar Harbor, Bass, Becks, Calhouns, Duck-Rabbit (one of my wife's favorites!), Fort Collins, Flying Dog, Guinness, Hacker-Schorr, Left Hand (big fav of mine), Lost Coast, North Coast, Pilsner Urquell, Redhook, Sam Adams, Sammy Smith (IPA and Oatmeal Stout are awesome), Shipyard, Sierra Nevada, St. Pauli Girl, St. Peters, Smithwicks (pronounced Smith icks, no "w"), Warsteiner, and Yuengling.

Within each of these (other than the single brews like Bass or Becks), you'll find a range of lighter lagers to hoppier IPAs, different ales, and even a few fruit-based brews! Enjoy and have fun!!

FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipemaker

pipemaker

Registration date : 2007-12-18

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Good advice ftrplt.

Some of the imports don't travel well, and loose even more of their character if they sit on the retailers shelf too long.

Pilsner Urquell and some of the imported lighter color lagers are notorious for changing over time, but when fresh, they are superb.

I believe Smithwicks is sold as #1 in the U.S. market, but if you can acquire the Canadian version, known as Smithwicks Export, you will find it a much fuller and more flavorful brew.

Both the Hacker Pschorr and the Sam Smith's products seem to suffer little from their travels.

Fuller's ESB and the ale from Shepherd Neame seem almost indestructable.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://my.execpc.com/~maddog92/Pipes2/pipes.html
PipeBrew

PipeBrew

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I'll keep you updated as I go.
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 12:27 am

Pipemaker....Besides not traveling well; many of the imports just weren't meant to be served ice cold. I absolutely adore a good hand-pulled English bitter or ale. Nothing beats it!! During our trip to Ireland last year, we were stunned when the Guinness was served ice frappin' cold!! Yuck! But even the worst travelin' English bitter beats the hell out of "Lite Beer from Miller!!!" Double yuck!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hazmat

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2008 11:13 am

For daily drinking and handing out to friends who like to suck my beer stores dry, Miller Lite. Hold the flames, gentleman, my tastes to travel upward from here Smile

After that, Boddingtons is my favorite of all time beer. Exactly what I want when I go looking for a beer.

Micro-brews, I can take or leave them, depending on what they're offering. Someone mentioned Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout, that's good stuff. Love it.

The IPAs and Over the Top with Hops variations that are going around are slowly beginning to irritate me, though a few are tasty. But seriously, enough is enough, fellas. When a bar offers 15 micro-brews and 12 of them are of the hops-on-steroids variety it doesn't matter much who brewed them or in what manner, they all end up tasting the same. Two of these that I enjoy are Two-Hearted Ale and Dogfish Head 90 minute, but that's about where I've draw the line.

Not sure if Chimay is considered a true beer, but I love the stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeBrew

PipeBrew

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2008 7:20 pm

At KnoxCigar's bar they have Boddington's on tap, next time I'm in there I'll have to give it a try.
Back to top Go down
bolson

bolson

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:31 pm

Miller Lite....it really is the nectar of the gods....and it does taste great like the commercial boasts...what more could a thirsty person need?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 9:45 am

I've taken a shine lately to Blue Moon as a real tasty, widely-available, Belgium style wheat beer.

But there are soooo many great beers of every genre... how can you pin down a favorite?

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyO

JohnnyO

Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 1:36 pm

adauria wrote:
I've taken a shine lately to Blue Moon as a real tasty, widely-available, Belgium style wheat beer.

But there are soooo many great beers of every genre... how can you pin down a favorite?

-Andrew

Just had a blue moon last night Very Happy but my go to beer has to be Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing Co. excelent amber ale...

As for american lagers, I haven't had too many but during our easter bbq I had a miller and it was quite tasty compared to the usual bud/coors light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeBrew

PipeBrew

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 2:12 am

I like Blue Moon quite a bit, because it is fairly tasty and widely available.
Back to top Go down
GarWood

GarWood

Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 2:44 pm

If you guys like Blue Moon, you should try Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weiss. Probably not as widely available, but if you see it, definitely worth a taste Smile

Miller Lite?! Is that even beer??? What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 6629
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hazmat

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 2:51 pm

One to add that I've recently come to be obsessed with is Oberon. Can't tell you who brews it, just that's it's sublime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GarWood

GarWood

Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 2:53 pm

hazmat wrote:
One to add that I've recently come to be obsessed with is Oberon. Can't tell you who brews it, just that's it's sublime.

Bell's Oberon; Kalamazoo - excellent beer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:10 am

Arkansas isn't noted for its microbreweries, (half the state is dry!) but Diamond Bear out of Little Rock has a Pale Ale and an IPA that are about as good as I've ever had. Not distributed very widely, though, in fact you can't get it much outside of the metropolitan area.

Anyone live in the Seattle area? They have a brew-fest each year at The Farm; a set amount to get in, they give you a nice glass, and you can fill it as many times as your hand/legs/liver/brain will allow. Last time I want they had over 50 microbreweries represented from Oregon up to Alaska, each with a couple of their best brews on tap. Mighty fine way to spend an afternoon.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:30 am

Depending on whim, it's either Abita Amber or Heineken.
There's plenty of both in the second fridge.

I like to try new beers if I'm out (which I rarely am).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
randyw41

randyw41

Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Great topic. Now lets see?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi all,
I'm not a big beer drinker, but my tastes lean towards the darker brews.

What is your favorite mass-distributed beer?
Guiness Draught

What is your favorite beer?
Berghoff Bock, probably not available nationwide. I believe the brewery is in Chicago somewhere. I only found it in one liquor store here in Indianapolis - Indiana called, Kahn's Liquors...

What is your favorite style of beer?
Dark beers, though I happen to like Corona, but death to the bartender who shoves a lime in it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 4:34 pm

Hey, Natch!!! Got hooked on the Diamond Bear IPA and Pale Ale during our vacations in Hot Springs! Just finished my last few bottles (might be one left in the back of the beer fridge!). Both damn good brews!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
free_byrd15

free_byrd15

Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:22 am

Gotta go with a semi local ans say Troegs pale ale of Trogenator
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

Aaron

Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Sam Adams Octoberfest is my favorite. Too bad it's just a sesonal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Dark: Murphy's Irish Stout
Lite: Sam Adams Light
Tap: Smithwick's

Doc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 am

I used to drink Country Club Malt Liquor when I used to drink.

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/03_03/03-03_forty_fury.htm

Twisted Evil Winslow Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Beer Yum!   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:49 pm

I look for four things in beer listed in order of importance:
1. Cost (since getting married & having children my wallet has shrunk)
2. Carb content (since passing my 30's the mid section started growing somehow)
3. Taste (Nicotene hasent killed my taste buds completly)
4. Alchohol content (what more can i say)

So in trying to balance these criteria somehow I have settled on:
(insert drumroll)
Budweiser Select
Back to top Go down
maynard

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 8:27 pm

Hopeing to quit the beer, god I love it so, but couldnt stop at one, but its a struggle, 6 to 8 beers a night, maybe if I substuted coffee, but no luck, the lbs I gained is beer I know that, but trying, but I do love beer , after work there is nothing better, any words of wisdom out there ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite beer?   What's your favorite beer? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 8:47 am

maynard wrote:
Hopeing to quit the beer, god I love it so, but couldnt stop at one, but its a struggle, 6 to 8 beers a night, maybe if I substuted coffee, but no luck, the lbs I gained is beer I know that, but trying, but I do love beer , after work there is nothing better, any words of wisdom out there ?

Maynard, I wish I could help you but I have never been much of a beer drinker. I am a brown whiskey drinker. I do like an occasional stout or very dark beer.

Maybe you could try some of those non-alcohol beers, I don't know. Muster up enough will power to cut back. Drink 3 instead of 6-8. ????
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

What's your favorite beer?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next