HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Best 'New Take" on an old film or play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Best 'New Take" on an old film or play   Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:03 am

What I mean by this is that often older films, plays, and movies are re-made years later. Sometimes made 'better' sometimes not, and sometimes a completely new interpretation of the original work is made. As points of reference, I'll list two of my favorites with the principles for each film version:

Cape Fear: 1962 Directed by J. Lee Thompson. With Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Polly Bergen (Excellent)
Cape Fear: 1991 Directed by Martin Scorsese. With Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte, Jessica Lange (also excellent, De Niro is absolutely CHILLING in the role)

The Postman Always Rings Twice: 1946 Directed by Tay Garnett With John Garfield, Cecil Kellaway, Lana Turner a truly classic Film Noir
The Postman Always Rings Twice: 1981 Directed by Bob Rafelson. With Jack Nicholson, Jessica Lange, John Colicos. A very good remake and retelling, makes me wonder why Jessica Lange wasn't given more major roles, Nicholson is of course, well Nicholson.

Another one film well worth mentioning, though I can't think of another movie version of the play is Titus 1999 This film is an adaptation of the Shakespeare play "Titus Andronicus." Directed by Julie Taymor. With Osheen Jones, Dario D'Ambrosi, Anthony Hopkins. An incredible visual feast, mixing ancient and modern, classical/jazz/rock ancient weapons and automobiles - you have to see it to believe it! Hopkins delivers Shakespeare in such an unbelievably compelling way, he could bring Shakespeare alive to the American Idol generation! If you are a Hopkins fan at all, you deserve to treat yourself to this film!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Best 'New Take" on an old film or play   Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:14 am

k1, Titus was awesome... probably the best thing Julie Taymor's done in a long time. (I'm dreading her upcoming musical take on Spiderman, I can tell you that much.)

My favorite spins on Shakespeare:
Throne of Blood - Akira Kurosawa's take on Macbeth--the tribal Scots become the feudal parties in Edo Japan. Ask me and I can bore you to death about the excellent camera work in this one. Ran--Kurosawa's King Lear--is a fine film but it's three hours, and contains too many Japanese cultural references for me to get fully.
Strange Brew - The MacKenzie Bros. of the Frozen North from SCTV star in a film about beer and hockey that's also based on Hamlet, seriously.
Othello (Orson Welles dir.) - The only film version that gets Iago right. And when you consider this was shot without synch sound on almost no budget... wow.

ETA: How could I forget Richard III with Sir Ian McKellen? Set in a WWI-inspired millieu. Great acting, great setting, and lots of hidden surprises if you know your onions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: Best 'New Take" on an old film or play   Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:43 am

Anthony Hopkins is probably my favorite actor, I'll have to look out for Titus, sounds interesting.
Now for originals vs. remakes there are two that stand out:
first The Flight Of The Phoenix, the first made in 1965 starring Jimmy Stewart and the remake from 2004 starring Dennis Quaid, I prefer the 1965 version mostly because I like Jimmy Stewart as an actor.
The second is The Manchurian Candidate with the 1962 version starring Frank Sinatra and the 2004 version with Denzel Washington, Here I prefer the 2004 version because I think Denzel is one of the best actors alive today.
So for me it's the quality of acting that makes the film.
Shakesperian plays; I liked Mel Gibson in Hamlet.

Thought of another; how about another favorite: O Brother, Where Art Thou which is based on the Odyssey by Homer.

Last edited by EJinVA on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added last line)
Back to top Go down
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Best 'New Take" on an old film or play   Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:37 pm

I hate to post that i enjoyed the Movie "10 things i hate about you" but it was a great adaptation of the Taming of the Shrew. I did know that strange brew was based on Hamlet so take off! you hosers!

I personally don't care much for the rehash Romeo & Juliet with dicaprio. Or the reworks of the classic horror films like the house on hanted hill, the haunting, psycho etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Best 'New Take" on an old film or play   Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:55 pm

When I was a boy I saw "The Sands of Iwo Jima" with John Wayne.It made
me want to be a Marine.I loved it.
Well 50 years later Cint Eastwood made "Flags of our Fathers" and "Letters
From Iwo Jima" which portray things from both sides,American and Japanese.
I bought both of these DVD's for my WW2 collection,they are superb.

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Best 'New Take" on an old film or play
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1