HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Suggestions for flashlight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Hello all.

My 20-year old Maglite has expired, leaving me in need of a versatile flashlight that can be easilly carried. I really don't want to have to sort through the superabundant amount of verbiage in the internet flashlights forums. Instead, I though that some of you may have good ideas to share. In a brief and uninformed search in Amazon, I found the Fenix PD20 that seems to fit the bill just right. Do any of you have any better ideas or suggestions? I really don't know much about lights...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stan41

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:43 pm

I still prefer the maglite above all others.
Stan41
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:53 pm

I have several maglights; not only are they flashlights but make good weapons.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:20 pm

maglight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:29 pm

I've always been a fan of surefire flashlights. Owned two of them when I worked in jobs that required using them almost everyday. Though a bit pricey they are the best flashlights I've ever used.

http://www.surefire.com/9AN-Commander

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:50 pm

I can never find one when I need one,
so I got a bunch of cheap ones to deploy
about the house. I get ones with LEDs
so I won't grab one with a burnt out bulb.
I also have one of those stupid wind up
flashlights; more work than it's worth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:32 pm

mark wrote:
maglight
Well, what attracted me to the Fenix was its size (3.3 in length; 1.6 oz) and its light characteriscs (6 output levels, 180 lumens max output). I cannot find anything similar from Maglite...Crying or Very sad

jhuggett wrote:
surefire
I have a surefire weapon light on a 1911. They are a bit more expensive than what I would like to pay for a pocket light that may be lost frequently. Laughing

I just saw some nice lights from Nitecore, but they are round, meaning that they roll right out on a flat slanted surface, which was what caused the demise of my Maglite...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LtMac

Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:38 pm

I use a Streamlight SL20X and a Streamlight Ultra Stinger. Both are rechargeable. I keep a standard Mag Lite 3 D Cell flashlight as a backup.

LtMac
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
Hello all.

My 20-year old Maglite has expired, leaving me in need of a versatile flashlight that can be easilly carried. I really don't want to have to sort through the superabundant amount of verbiage in the internet flashlights forums. Instead, I though that some of you may have good ideas to share. In a brief and uninformed search in Amazon, I found the Fenix PD20 that seems to fit the bill just right. Do any of you have any better ideas or suggestions? I really don't know much about lights...

You old Maglight served you well for 20+ years...right? Then what in the world might make you think that a new Maglight couldn't do you just as well for another 20+ years? Or is it that you've got a wondering eye?

The way I look at it.....if a person needs a flashlight that is rock solid and there when I need it no matter the weather or location it's gonna be a Maglight for sure! The Maglight is a light a person can stake their life on so what more could anyone want?

Tip: Maglight's can be "hopped up" with better bulb's and reflectors if you need them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:11 am

Buck wrote:
You old Maglight served you well for 20+ years...right? Then what in the world might make you think that a new Maglight couldn't do you just as well for another 20+ years? Or is it that you've got a wondering eye?

Yeah, I know... I did like the mini Mag. I had it upgraded with a LED a couple of years ago. I still keep a big one (3 D cells) under the bed and another in the tool box. The reason it lasted so long is that it was really a desk flashlight, a bit too big to carry unobstrusively in the pants' pocket, therefore it never got lost. This time I want a smaller one to carry daily, and with more power. And it is going to be carried in the pocket, not in a belt sheath. (Hey! What's that in your pocket? Or are you just happy to see me?...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:26 am

I carry a Streamlight Stinger on my duty belt. I've never had a problem with it and it puts out plenty of light.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
Buck wrote:

Yeah, I know... I did like the mini Mag. I had it upgraded with a LED a couple of years ago. I still keep a big one (3 D cells) under the bed and another in the tool box. The reason it lasted so long is that it was really a desk flashlight, a bit too big to carry unobstrusively in the pants' pocket, therefore it never got lost. This time I want a smaller one to carry daily, and with more power. And it is going to be carried in the pocket, not in a belt sheath. (Hey! What's that in your pocket? Or are you just happy to see me?...)

Oh, I see. You need a "desk" or "pocket" light not the big maglight. In that case any light that is small and sorta flat will do...no?

Oh, yes.....I carried a mini mag in a belt pouch for 20+ years everyday on my quality control job with not one failure to light as long as the batteries were good. So these are as tough as the big light. Look for the keychain maglight to see if it will do for your needs as stated here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:12 pm

My favorite of easy to carry and trouble free flashlights is the Streamlight Scorpion. It's extremely bright and can can be focused to use as a spot or flood light. From Amazon-- The Scorpion

My other flashlights include a red bulb Photon Micro that I carry at all times which is real handy for finding things in dark corners or at night; a couple of MiniMags for hunting and fishing trips or situations not needing as much light as the Scorpion; and a couple of cheapie one AAA cell aluminum framed flashlights with a single LED from Wal-Mart that are fine for low light situations such as feeding the dogs after dark.

Jim...my ha'pence worth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LtMac

Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Go to the website www.galls.com It as a public safety equipment retailer. Law enforcement items require a copy of departmental I.D. but such things as flashlight purchases don't. They have a huge selection of flashlights.

LtMac
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:27 pm

When I was a cop the streamlight stinger was pretty awesome. Ended up buying one for myself when I left the department.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:21 pm

INOVA LED Flashlights (Rechargeable battery) are the ONLY way to go!
Trust me on this. I carry one on my belt at work and have one at home.
We had a power outage recently and the light lit the whole downstairs of the house!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. In the end my needs were best served by an Inova Microlight in my keychain, a Streamlight Microstream pen light, and a Fenix PD20 for the briefcase. The search was fun and Iím now prolonging it by looking for a pocket knife. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:15 pm

are you open to suggestion about a pocket knife...or is that a new thread? lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for flashlight   Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Ok, I'll make it a new thread. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Suggestions for flashlight
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1