HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Today's dumb newbie question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Today's dumb newbie question   Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:17 pm

I have been enjoying pipe smoking for only several months. Like most newbies I am just learning how little I I have learned about the vast world of pipes and tobaccos. I have progressed through the initial aros and begun to figure out what I like and don't. Like - Samuel Gawirths Commonwealth, Straus Private Stock, Walnut, Prince Albert, C&D Navy Flake. Don't like - Drug store aros, most of the aro blends at my local B&M, Night Train (I feel ill after most bowls). I'm still experimenting and probably don't have enough years left to get to all that I have read of through this group.

Somewhere along the line I have realized that some of the tobaccos I like are referred to in the descriptions and in discussion as English or english blends. Could someone please simplify for me what it is that makes a tobacco english and what other major categories are there?

Thanks for your indulgence and assistance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Today's dumb newbie question   Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:47 pm

This Cellaring FAQ has a good page on categories and what they mean--you will quickly see some categories are closely debated, but you'll get a general idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Today's dumb newbie question   Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks. that's exacctly what I was looking for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Today's dumb newbie question   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:22 pm

clueless wrote:
I have been enjoying pipe smoking for only several months. Like most newbies I am just learning how little I I have learned about the vast world of pipes and tobaccos. I have progressed through the initial aros and begun to figure out what I like and don't. Like - Samuel Gawirths Commonwealth, Straus Private Stock, Walnut, Prince Albert, C&D Navy Flake. Don't like - Drug store aros, most of the aro blends at my local B&M, Night Train (I feel ill after most bowls). I'm still experimenting and probably don't have enough years left to get to all that I have read of through this group.

Somewhere along the line I have realized that some of the tobaccos I like are referred to in the descriptions and in discussion as English or english blends. Could someone please simplify for me what it is that makes a tobacco english and what other major categories are there?

Thanks for your indulgence and assistance.

English are blends that contain latakia. Of hte ones you posted, this would be commonwealth. I think walnut is too, but I've never smoked it.

Prince Albert is burley blend, so you may want to try Three Friars, a very good burley blend.

Navy Flake, if I'm recalling correctly, is a VA/per (Virginia and perique), so I would have to strongly recommend Escudo, my favorite VA/per.

I hope this helps; feel free to ask questions.

BTW, this is far from a dumb questions. I never realized English blends contained latakia for a long time because my local shop refers to them simply as "Latakia blends." I learned one time when I was sitting at a shop smoking, and another customer said, " you like English blends?" I said, " no I like latakika blends." And he started laughing.
Back to top Go down

Today's dumb newbie question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1