HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Watchmen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Watchmen   Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 pm

So, this past weekend I rented the Watchmen movie as I didnt see it in the theatre. I must say I was never a big comics reader so I don't know how that was but the movie was very good IMO. Of course the special effects were great, but I also enjoyed the storyline as well as the characters. The acting was excellent too. But I think the sound track was the best feature, all the music by the original artists from the 80's & before (it's set in 1985).
The Rorschach character was very interesting, the Silk Spectre's (#'s1&2) were hot, but that Doc Manhattan was bizarre, (makes me wonder how our own Doc M. came to choose that for his handle). All the characters seemed to have a different bit of humanity in them (so we all could identify, perhaps). Overall I would have to say of all the 'superhero-comic' genre movies out now this was the best yet.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen   Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:44 pm

EJ, the graphic novel of Watchmen is really outstanding, though bear in mind it is very much a commentary on the then-present Cold War. The questions of moral absolutism-vs-relativism and does power carry a moral obligation are still there in great depth, too. Like reading James Joyce, you get more with repeated, careful readings and some supplemental texts. Not for everyone; I'm a big nerd so it's totally for me.

(I picked Doc Manhattan as my web handle somewhat as a joke... I was in a rap group(!) in college and rappers tend to have very boastful names/personas, so I decided to trump them. What could be more boastful than a guy who has total control over time, space, and matter? It stuck... a lot of my friends still call me Doc. )
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen   Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Doc,
I wondered if you could relate to his growing disinterest with humanity, the desire to just be alone somewhere (like Mars perhaps?) Or if your girlfriend named you that for other reasons Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen   Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:53 pm

EJinVA wrote:
Doc,
I wondered if you could relate to his growing disinterest with humanity, the desire to just be alone somewhere (like Mars perhaps?) Or if your girlfriend named you that for other reasons Very Happy .
If I could be anywhere in the universe and look like anything I wanted, you think I'd be here looking like this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

Watchmen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: