HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How do others do it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: How do others do it?   Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:39 pm

Got up early to go to the gym. But I was a little drowsy so I rested up until about noon. I still didn't feel well, but still worked out.
Been stumbling around dizzy most of the day, not sure why. Then I look at the temperature: 104 real temp, the news says the heat index is 110 plus (not sure what the plus means other than maybe it doesnt go any higher).

I know part of my problem is being overweight, so I got to thinking how do other people do it?
Back to top Go down
babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Texas Outlaw wrote:
Got up early to go to the gym. But I was a little drowsy so I rested up until about noon. I still didn't feel well, but still worked out.
Been stumbling around dizzy most of the day, not sure why. Then I look at the temperature: 104 real temp, the news says the heat index is 110 plus (not sure what the plus means other than maybe it doesnt go any higher).

I know part of my problem is being overweight, so I got to thinking how do other people do it?

The "index" in South Florida is the humiture: the "feel likes" effect of the actual heat plus the humidity and the effects of the humid heat on the wind and the wind on the human body. Here in SoFL, the thermometer could indicate 96 degrees F, but with the high humidity, it would feel like 104. I don't know what factors would come into play were you live, but I'm guessing that if you live near the Gulf of Mexico, it would be somewhat comparable. We deal with it by staying indoors and spending a fortune on our energy bills in the Summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:56 pm

I don't anymore... but I went to basic training in Ft. Benning, Georgia, trained in a lot of different hot environments, and we often saw heat indexes in that range. We drank literally gallons of water a day and you also have to make sure you have the proper nutrients to retain the hydration levels. The other part would not to go beyond what you are acclimated to do. Sometimes you just have to rest. Sometimes it's just too much for anyone to handle.

I was in extremely good shape at one point and we were training in the desert practicing assaults in about 116 degree weather. During one of the practice engagements they CS gassed us and we had to put on chemical suits and gas masks. We finished the assault and mounted back up in our track. As we took off one of my privates said, "Sgt. Huggett, you don't look so good." The next thing I remember was waking up with a medic sticking a need in my hand. In a single battalion we had over 250 heat casualties that day. Was simply more than anyone could take.

Don't over do it.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Yeah it was the heat. I just came in from grilling, and it's only in the low 90s. Feel alot better.

You're right about the water though, bud. When I work out, I drink about 5 gallons of water (literally, one of those 5 gallon jugs a day). Today, I've only had 2. I think I woke up dehydrated, which made everything worse.

To make things worse, I don't remember eating today, just doing the supplement/vitamin regiment. (Not taking any fat burners at the advice of the forum per private message and open forum).

All of that and add the fact that I just don't sleep well, it's a wonder I didn't black out.

I think if I had a work out partner today, he would of ensured I had the proper hydration as well as supplementation (them protein shakes work wonders, especially if you don't eat).

Just wondered how other people handle it because I'm not even close to being the biggest person in my area; however, I think I'm one of the few active big guys. I think I know the answer: they simply don't. It's 6:30 and people are just coming out of their houses. It's kinda like the twilight zone here; things don't start til the late afternoon. Kinda sad actually, but I may need to consider taking vacation days during December from now on.

Or one of you yankee brothers that have the room need to invite my ass to visit during the summer. Wierd thing is I always have friends up north that insist I visit them. I am taking 2 months off, and mentioned it but seems like they are not too interested. I'm not one to judge, but I may lose it if someone asks why I dont drive up when I start back up at work.
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:44 pm

I worked the B-1B on the Dyess AFB flightline (that's in Abilene, TX) for those not in the know. Internal cockpit temperatures would often reach 150+ F without air conditioning. Can I tell you it was fun working in that environment? There IS no amount of 'conditioning' to prepare you for that ... we worked in 'rotation' of 5 minutes inside, then the next crew of two while you literally re-drank all the water you body lost sitting in an air conditioned van.

Now think of our troops over in Iraq in the heat of the summers there. I can't even imagine it ...

Oh I know, its a 'dry heat' RIGHT Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 pm

I attended flight training in Tucson and Phoenix back when they were both extremely low humidity, good-for-your-allergies (i.e., dry heat!!) areas. Flight line would be 125+ most of the time! But I was young!! These days I get up early, do my bit of yard work, walk the dogs, etc. before the temps get crazy. We've had a bunch of 100+ days here in OKC, going thru some more at the moment. My time in the Carolina's has been much cooler.

Yesterday, we had a new front door installed. Complete tearout and redo! Wide open hole for about eight hours while the work was done. No A/C, temps got above 85. Even with the fans on, it was warm!! Really reminded me of the "old days" when all we had were open windows and circulating/overhead fans to keep us cool. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:50 pm

ftrplt wrote:
I attended flight training in Tucson and Phoenix back when they were both extremely low humidity, good-for-your-allergies (i.e., dry heat!!) areas. Flight line would be 125+ most of the time! But I was young!! These days I get up early, do my bit of yard work, walk the dogs, etc. before the temps get crazy. We've had a bunch of 100+ days here in OKC, going thru some more at the moment. My time in the Carolina's has been much cooler.

Yesterday, we had a new front door installed. Complete tearout and redo! Wide open hole for about eight hours while the work was done. No A/C, temps got above 85. Even with the fans on, it was warm!! Really reminded me of the "old days" when all we had were open windows and circulating/overhead fans to keep us cool. FTRPLT

85...sounds like heaven.

Seriously, water is the key. The 1 gallon that is recommended isn't enough here. A nice multi vitamin seems to help too.
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:01 pm

ftrplt wrote:

There is a folk song about God and the devil finding a place to put hell. They both look at Texas, and decide its TOO DRY for a hell Twisted Evil People outside Texas think first cattle, then oil made Texas. Water; the Impoundment of it made Texas, as I recall there is only one natural lake in ALL of Texas.

North Georgia mountains are considerably cooler than Texas (and I spent 18+ years there in various places) People around here start bitching at about 85 F, I just smile and put on my flannel shirt Laughing

Last edited by kilted1 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Whoops....the 85 degrees was in the house; 'bout 98 outside! And you're right...hydration is the key!! If you wait until you're thirsty, you've waited too long!! Especially for us "more mature" BOBs; drink your wa-wa!! We need it to flush out the beer and whiskey lol! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Just remember when your wieners are frozen and I'm playing tennis in December!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:05 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Especially for us "more mature" BOBs; : FTRPLT

Hehe, he means wrinkled old men! affraid javascript:emoticonp('affraid')

Get off my lawn!
Back to top Go down
Eulenburg

Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: How do others do it?   Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Make sure you have your blood pressure tested, especially if you are overweight!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How do others do it?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: