HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Pipe smoking videos

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bentbulldog

Number of posts: 387
Tobacco: Mostly the good Aromatics, Virginia's, and Heavy Latakia Blends

Middle Earth Blend (RIP)
Boswell's Christmas Cookie, Berry Cobbler, Northwoods
S&G FVF & Best Brown, Esoterica Stonehaven & Penzance
Frog Morton, Red Rapparee,
G&H Rumflake, Bosun Cut Plug, Louisiana Flake, Best Brown #2, Brown Flake Unscented.
Pipe: Kili, Fili, Oin, Gloin, Dwalin, Balin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, Ori, Thorin, Bilbo, Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir and special Guest
Sméagol/Gollum
Registration date: 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:46 am

I have been givig serious thought into producing a striclty educational documentary on pipe smoking(not cigars or cigarettes), covering all the basic aspects of it. I've jotted down a few notes and ideas but before I get in over my head, I'd like to know if anyone knows if such a thing has already been done. I know there was a very brief segment on a Modern Marvels episode, but when I saw it I felt it lacked the depth that this art deserves.

I imagine something that anyone who is interested in pipe smoking could watch and come away with a much better understanding of what goes on. Does anyone know of such a film?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

Number of posts: 468
Registration date: 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:55 am

No, and I doubt that anyone could make such a video.

Why?

Pipe smoking is an art that must be learn in order to benefit the fullest from it's subtle nuisance. Those nuisance are what can't be filmed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bentbulldog

Middle Earth Blend (RIP)
G&H Rumflake, Bosun Cut Plug, Louisiana Flake, Best Brown #2, Brown Flake Unscented.
Pipe: Kili, Fili, Oin, Gloin, Dwalin, Balin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, Ori, Thorin, Bilbo, Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir and special Guest
Sméagol/Gollum

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am

Last edited by bentbulldog on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bentbulldog

Middle Earth Blend (RIP)
Sméagol/Gollum

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 am

Pipe smoking itself is an art. The blending of tobaccos and creation of pipes is an art. But every form of art has a background. That is why there are classes for music appreciaion that teach music as if there is a scientific substance behind it, which is how I see pipe smoking. Our goal is always the experience and result but part of the hobby is the backgroud info. I'm a visual person and prefer to watch things, which is why I love documentaries.

It wouldn't be a video on how to pack a pipe although there would be a small segment of the various ways with a disclaimer on how it's still an art. But there are many parts which are fundamental such as briar wood or the growing of the leaf etc... This coudl be covered in a video.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Number of posts: 2355
Tobacco: Arturo Fuente "Hemingway"
Pipe: Former Collector of High End Briar
Registration date: 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:17 am

I have three different ones on DVD that were produced over the last few years. Not one of them is entertaining let alone at all useful. If I were a novice they wouldn't exactly excite me about my new hobby. I honestly think the best book ever written on the subject was Hacker's Ultimate Pipe Book. It was a great mix of entertainment and useful knowledge.

If I were gonna try my hand at making my own videos I'd take cues from Hacker and make sure it's both enjoyable to watch and infomative
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Number of posts: 2177
Tobacco: Bosun Cut Plug
Pipe: Tim Hynick POY
Registration date: 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:40 am

Listen to Dock, He learned from me!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Ken tongue
pacem en Puffing! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Number of posts: 3794
Tobacco: GH Flakes
Pipe: Gregor Lobnik
Registration date: 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:52 am

pipetongue1 wrote:
Listen to Dock, He learned from me!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Ken tongue
It would be great if there were a video collection of oral histories from great pipe-fellows... makers, tobacconists, collectors, and so on. There's so much wisdom and humor and stories that is would be a shame to lose simply because we're mortal men.

(Someone, forgive me for forgetting who, posted a link to a great interview piece with one of the last perique growers in Louisiana--things like that are very compelling.)

Combine these oral histories with some older primary source material (excerpts from books, pictures, catalogues, news articles) and some on-location background information (like bentbull said, briar harvest, a pipe factory, the Chicagoland show, etc.)

I guess what I want in so many words is Ken Burns' Pipes.

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Dock
BoB's Team

Number of posts: 2355
Tobacco: Arturo Fuente "Hemingway"
Pipe: Former Collector of High End Briar
Registration date: 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:59 am

Doc Manhattan wrote:

I guess what I want in so many words is Ken Burns' Pipes.

How great would that be?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
daveinlax

Number of posts: 335
Registration date: 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:40 am

The videos I have watched over the years are the Uptown's series. Larsen, Great Dane, Vesz and Pete. Hacker put one out that was ok. Pipe maker JT Cooke did a homemade video. It is interesting, it shows him blasting. Bob Hamlin/PCCA did a homemade video that shows the Castello, Dunhill, Paolo Becker, Ashton and a couple of other shops if I remember correctly. The Cooke video can be found here courtesy of the CPCC. http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/education/video_broad.php Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dillon

Number of posts: 262
Tobacco: Royal Yacht, Early Morning, Scottish Flake, Latakia, Carter Hall
Pipe: Petersons, Cobs, and Briars cheap enough for a recent college grad
Registration date: 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:27 pm

Here is a video I found that follows and explains the making of a pipe by a man named Pöhlner. Shows pretty much every part of the process:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eulenburg

Number of posts: 144
Registration date: 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:35 am

Richard Carleton Hacker, author of The Ultimate Pipe Book and Pipesmoking: A 21st Century Guide http://www.amazon.com/Pipesmoking-Century-Richard-Carleton-Hacker/dp/0931253152 also has a VHS video called The Ultimate Piper Video http://richardcarletonhacker.com/pipebooks.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

Number of posts: 435
Registration date: 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Can't really help other than to say, whatever you do, do NOT go to youtube and start searching pipe videos. For some very strange reason the vast majority of them are gay fetish videos. I still haven't figured out why and what the connection is, but suffice to say I stopped researching pretty quickly!

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eulenburg

Number of posts: 144
Registration date: 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Quote :
....do NOT go to YouTube and start searching pipe videos.... [many] of them are gay fetish videos. I still haven't figured out why....

And the rest are by gun-toting anarcho-fundamentalists, sure that our government is out there trying to kidnap them. It's sad.

I was once doing some research and googled the term Carmelita descalza which, in Spanish, can mean both 'Discalced Carmelite nun' OR...."barefoot Carmelita"! I got a bunch of foot-fetish filth. The Internet is an open sewer, basically.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Number of posts: 5248
Tobacco: Davidoff Flake Medallions, Reiner Long Golden Flake
Pipe: Sara Eltang Christmas Pipes 11 and 18 of 30
Registration date: 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking videos   Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Yes it is... Twisted Evil

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com

Pipe smoking videos

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar ::  :: -