HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Shockingly enough Kenny and I were discussing pipe tobacco at the SHPC meeting on Tuesday. We both agreed that Gawith & Hoggarth is the Cadillac if not the Rolls Royce of pipe tobacco. In terms of taste, appearance and moisture level it's second to none. Another good trait is that nearly all of their blends are available in the states. Of course their cost is signifigantly higher than other imported brands.

The one issue that I find with some of their VA and burley blends is that they lean towards the VERY soapy side. Obviously some floral flavor is expected with lakeland blends but a couple of theirs are really over the top! Likely the worst offender is Scotch Flake. It's floral notes are akin to ivory soap imo.

Which G&H tobaks are your favorites and why?

Last edited by Danish_Pipe_Guy on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:32 pm

My two favorite GH's are Brown Bogie and Sweet Rum Twist. I love these ropes for a weekly smoke or two. Generally I have quite a lot of SG like FVF, BBF, Chocolate Flake and Kendall Creme Flake in my rotation. Really haven't tried many GH's. Always looking for suggestions so feel free to suggest away as to which of GH's I should consider.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:35 pm

My favorite Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Ltd. tobacco. Hmmmmmmmmm...........that's tough.

I really like the Kendal Dark Thick Cut. Strong. Some would say one-dimensional. Kendal Plug and Kendal Kentucky are all similar yet different. Very enjoyable for the full-bodied pipe smoker.

Coniston Cut Plug is pretty darn good. For a flavored tobacco flake.

Bosun Cut Plug is also very good. Has the scent of clove.

I avoid their ropes mostly. I smoke them occasionally. Stronger than those available from Samuel Gawith. My last sample of black rope was overcooked. A bit charcoally in taste.

Also, my last purchase of #12, a really great latakia blend usually, was perhaps something different. I suspect a main component tobacco has changed. I will not be getting any more of that.

Dark Flake Unscented is a favorite.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Black Irish X

Strong, Full Flavored, fun to prepare, Whats not to like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:45 pm

Conniston Cut Plug unscented, Curley Cut regular and Dark Flake are great. I'm going to have to find some of that Kendal Kentucky Carlos, sounds interesting.

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:49 pm

You hit on my favorite blend there. Over the past two years I've packed away many pounds (OK, 500 grams) in jars of 12 different flakes. Bosun, Glengarry, and #7 Broken Flake are my favored scented. Louisiana Flake is OK, but where did they hide the perique? Certainly not in the flake. Bob's Chocolate is almost bitter with the hint of baking chocolate in the background. Rum flake is my Sunday treat, love the sweet undertones, but wouldn't want to smoke it every day. Haven't found a flake of theirs I didn't like, though Grasmere is rather bland. Many of their "shag" cuts aren't that exciting to me. Wasn't it Smokingpipes that had flake and shag samplers awhile back? I bought a 10- one ounce samples of 20 of their blends not a year ago, but I can't seem to find it listed on their web site. It was a great way to try them out.

One problem I'm noticing though, I really like the scented/floral aspect of them, but as I've been smoking them a lot for a while, I'm having a harder time "tasting" that scent. The tobacco taste and smell is still there and an enjoyable smoke, but that floral seems to have gotten fainter. Can one develop an immunity to that flavoring?

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:53 pm

A lot of their blends are too strong for me to enjoy and I'm not a fan of trying to smoke soap. However I do like and keep some of their Bob's Chocolate Flake and Glengarry Flake on hand. The Glengarry is listed as an aromatic but I don't think many people would put it in the aromatic class. To me it's just a good VA flake with lots of flavor but not much nicotine.

While trying to find some good low nic VAs a few years ago, I found the Synjeco site to be fairly accurate in their ratings and descriptions.
Synjeco tobacco reviews

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Afternoon All, Now we're talking! No hesitation for me I love ALL their offerings, haven't been burnt Very Happy by one of them yet! My first was Ennerdale back in '03, my fav is Bosun CP, G&H is the very base of my cellar, just rec'd some Dark Plug for me and Puffs, couldn't do without G&H, I still have some Dark Fl. from '03, Ken tongue
Pacem en Lakeland! tongue
ps; SG can't hold a candle Very Happy to G&H....K. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Ennerdale is the best, mild, all day Va. I know of. When I want to smoke a big bowl of something and have the time to slowly take it down to the dottle, nothing beats Ennerdale. I like to cut their flakes perpendicular to their length, so they form little cubes (somewhat like some of the burley cubes), then let them dry a bit. Easy smoken

As it's a Friday afternoon and I've had another rough week, I'm just loading a monster sized Lovat/Poker Mike Brissitt made for me with, oh, about 6 or seven ounces of Ennerdale, made a brandy Manhattan in a bucket that wouldn't fit on the island, and the porch, the mutt, and the deer are waiting for me.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:46 pm

I love GH tobacco!

In descending order:

1. Dark Flake
1. Dark Plug (can't make up my mind)
2. Brown Irish X - love what I've come to call Brown Rope
3. Coniston Cut Plug, which I would call an aromatic but others might not; the first tobacco in this class that I've found I like.

I used to smoke a quite a bit of Dark Birdseye and a bit of Kendal KY but don't anymore. Why?????

I ordered Brown Pigtail in the recent group buy and find it's flavor muted. From what I know Brown Irish X, Happy Brown Bogie and the Pigtail are all made from the same tobaccos, the only difference being the diameter of the rope. Then why should all three ropes be different, the Brown Bogie the most flavorful, the Brown Irish X the next flavorful and the Pigtail the least?

Last edited by alfredo_buscatti on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herzl

Registration date : 2009-05-17

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:17 pm

#7 Kendal Mixture is a filler when I don't have either Dark Bird's Eye, Kendal Dark, Dark Flake Unscented or Dark Flake Aromatic open. I also have been using it for blending experiments. One of the 'Darks' or 1792 is going to be smoked every day. I like Bosun and Coniston Cut Plugs, and go through my stash pretty fast when I have them, but don't hoard them like the 'Darks.' I also hoard Sweet Rum Twist, Brown Irish X, Black Irish X, Brown Bogie, Brown Twist, Coconut Twist, and Black Twist, but the prep is a hassle and the result not uniform. I have #12 Mixture but it doesn't excite me. Haven't been able to get my hands on Kendal Kentucky or Dark Plug yet, though I've been trying. They sell out overnight, so somebody's buying. lol, next time I won't mess around making up the rest of my order to save on shipping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom Clemons

Location : Intersection of Great Black Swamp & Lake Erie, Ohio
Registration date : 2007-12-25

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm a G&H Fan, too.

1. Conniston Cut Plug
2. Rum Flake
3. Broken Scotch Cake
4. Broken Flake No. 7
5. Whiskey rope
6. Brown Flake unscented

TC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warwick

Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:47 pm

My favorites, in order:
1.Dark Flake Unscented
2.Dark Thick Cut
3.Dark Plug
4.Brown Bogie
5.Dark Flake Scented

Second Tier:
Kendal Kentucky
Coniston Cut Plug
Rum Flake
Brown Flake Scented
Brown Flake Unscented
Brown Irish Twist/Sliced Brown Twist

Fair to Middlin:
Rum/Coconut Twist
Dark Birdseye
Broken Scotch Cake
Louisiana Flake
Brown Pigtail
Grasmere Flake

Least Favorite:
Black Irish Twist
Black Kendal Twist XXX
Bosun Cut Plug
Ennerdale
Top Black Cherry

As I review the list of GH offerings, I can't recall now if I've tried Best Brown #2 or not, or whether I'm thinking of SG Best Brown. Hmmm....might have to order some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom Clemons

Location : Intersection of Great Black Swamp & Lake Erie, Ohio
Registration date : 2007-12-25

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Wow, Warwick, what a list. now I've got to go order more G&H blends to try.

thanks,

TC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:11 pm

I only smoke Bob's Choc. Flake. The BCF has a touch of "floral" at first match but this seems to disappear after a puff or two. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:57 pm

I've only tried one only and that is Balkan Mixture. I liked it a lot but Bill Baileys Balkan Blend sort of pushed the envelope for me.

Do Samuel Gwaith and Gwaith and Hoggwarth have any connection?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:16 pm

William Gawith, son of Sam. Gawith the first, formed a rival tobacco business with Henry Hoggarth--both William and Henry were trustees of SG after the death of its founder. Samuel Gawith's tobacco comapny remained in the hands of Sam. Gawith the second.

From the SG website:
Quote :
Samuel the Third was two years and five months old at his father's death, and once again the company was put in the hands of trustees, probably Samuel the Third's mother, John Edward Gawith (who died six years later) and William Henry Gawith, Samuel the Second's youngest brother.

A word here about William, who set up in rivalry to the Samuel Gawith dynasty, about the time John's enterprise failed. He set up in partnership with Henry Hoggarth, whose sister he married. Together they purchased the Lowther Street tobacco factory, and made snuff at Marble Mills outside Kendal. The firm continues now as Gawith Hoggarth TT.
(It was a similar situation with the brothers Adi and Udi Dassler, who founded Adidas and Puma atheletic shoes, respectively.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:34 pm

When I stop to think about it, I have never tried any of the G&H offerings.
Back to top Go down
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:01 am

Thanks for the scoop on SG and G&H. Interesting history.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimbo

Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:37 pm

Dark Plug is a favorite of mine. The only offerings I don't like are the scented ones, not because of G&H quality but because I just don't like scented tobaccos. Everything I've had from them is top notch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:09 am

Currently I've got the Dark Plug, Brown Twist Sliced, Sweet Rum Twist and Brown Bogie in...and of course Bob's Choco-licious Flake, a guilty pleasure to be sure. Also some old 1792 hanging around that has lost all it's initial aroma...it's now very mellow and quite a good smoke. I've tried some of the florals and not been able to stay with them...just too over the top and not what I look for re: flavor. I really enjoy the Sweet Twists (that's aren't really sweet, just maybe edge-less) and of course the line of Darks and Browns. I also quite like Revor Plug...made by G&H...dark, sweet, powerful, lovely.

We've all heard it, all seen it tossed about..re: the cost (said in a whining tone) and the bothersome effort of having to actually spend time, skill and effort prepping the stuff (more sniveling). Comments like, "I can't be bothered..." and "...too much fuss," etc. Hmmm. Without going into further detail re: the moral decay of those sad individuals characterized by the above, I'll just add..."screw 'em!" I, um...can't be bothered feeling sorry for 'em...too much fuss! lol If their lack of interest and or ability in doing the little that is required prevents them from enjoying the finest smoking experience possible (Stonehaven being the singular exception) in the modern world (IMNSHO) then all I can further add is that I feel sorry for their wives, girlfriends, etc. - if you get my drift. Just an opinion, of course.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roqsan

Registration date : 2010-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:06 pm

I've tried so far: Bob's Choc, Best Brown, Rum Flake & Brown Unscented (along with lots of plugs and twists). For me the first three flakes all have a weird taste, which is presumably what some people are referring to as soap, but to me tastes more like germolene antiseptic cream (as someone else commented on tobacco reviews). I reckon that this strange taste is largely what has lead people to refer to a lakeland essence. My guess, though, is that the taste is actually something to do with the curing process of one of the tobaccos that G&H use in these blends and I can't detect anything that would correspond to a lakeland essence in GH brown unscented or in the SG flakes I've tried. Would be interested in what everyone else thinks - Which other lakeland blends have this taste? What is the source of this strange taste? Incidentally, I seem to remember something of the same taste when I tried Walnut Flake way back when.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 am

One similar tobacco that Samual Gawith makes a much better version of than GH&Co. is the Chocolate Flake. I much prefer SG Mayors Chocolate Flake to GH Bob's Chocolate flake. But other than this one exception, I think, as Ken indicated a while back, that GH has it all over SG. Not that all SG blends are bad, in fact many are very good, but overall GH are better.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roqsan

Registration date : 2010-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:22 am

Natch wrote:
One similar tobacco that Samual Gawith makes a much better version of than GH&Co. is the Chocolate Flake. I much prefer SG Mayors Chocolate Flake to GH Bob's Chocolate flake. But other than this one exception, I think, as Ken indicated a while back, that GH has it all over SG. Not that all SG blends are bad, in fact many are very good, but overall GH are better.

Natch

This is all very well, but (leaving twists and plugs aside) what specific flakes do G&H do that are better than the SG equivalents? I've given up trying new G&H flakes for the moment, since most of the ones I've tried (i.e. best brown, bobs, rum) have that antiseptic taste. The only acceptable G&H flake I've found so far is brown unscented, but that doesn't compare well with SG BBF or Germain's flakes to my taste - it doesn't appear to taste of anything much at all and perhaps needs some aging.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:03 am

Roqson wrote:

Quote :
"what specific flakes do G&H do that are better than the SG equivalents?"

It seems to me you're asking for an objective answer to an area that's totally subjective. What's "better" to one isn't necessarily so to another. Very handy case in point? Natch likes the SG Mayor's Chocolate Flake...while I much prefer the Bob's Choco Flake by G&H. It also seems that you're asking a question that 'by design' the makers, given their family history and the way the two companies have developed over time, have kind of settled for themselves. By this I mean...once makes the rope and the twist, the other makes the bogie...one makes this or that flake while the other makes the plug...etc. They're kind of 'agreed' to do similar but different items, even though very closely realted...but that's just my take on it.

Re: the Lakeland thing and the classic "soap" flavor...I don't think the billions (historically) comments re: the soap flavor are so much directed at the flakes you mentioned...but more at the classic Lakeland items - with Ennerdale being the chief target. Others would be (more or less) items such as the scented Bosun, Grasmere, Glengarry and Kendal Plug, Flakes, etc. and even their supposedly unscented partners.

I agree with your assessment of the Brown Flake being rather flavorless - I kind of see it that way as well. But that might be due to my having been on a jag of smoking very strong flakes recently and what may have once been a medium flavored flake now seems far less so.

So three thoughts -

1) If you're trying to set up some kind of side by side smoke-out event...you'll have to be satisfied with "sort of like" as opposed to something that's supposed to be the exact equivalent. If that's good enough I would suggest perhaps the following,,,just a few ideas:

St. James Flake and Lousiana Flake - although the LF is flavored with Cocoa.
Best Brown and Best Brown #2
Glengarry Flake and Cannon Plugs (at least they're both honeydew)

Also...what are you going to do about Warrior Plug? That's a G&H product with a nice slight Lakeland-ish essence.

But the REAL question of the day has to be...as you're a smoker of the Germain flakes it apprears...do you have access to thier "Dark Flake"? I would really like to see a side by side of the Dark Flake and Stonehaven! Now THAT would be interesting!

OK. OK. I'll shut up!

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next