HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
raf66

Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:34 am

I can't get enough Bob's Chocolate Flake. It's my ABSOLUTE favorite tobacco. I think I must like that Lakeland charm a bit. What other G&H blends have that taste?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roqsan

Registration date : 2010-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:50 am

@Blackhorse

Well I'm not really looking for an objective answer just for other peoples opinions, since I'm too humble pale to imagine that I have the whole story.

The situation WRT some G&H flakes is confusing as can be seen by checking the reviews on Tobaccoreviews.com. Best Brown 2 and Brown Unscented are actually two different blends, but my guess is that they are being confused in the reviews, particularly since the naming convention for these blends varies from site to site. IMOP Best Brown 2 has a strong antiseptic flavour that is quite overwhelming when bought in bulk and wears off to some extent as the flake is dried out. OTOH brown unscented does not...

I also prefer SG chocolate flake (in fact I really like this) to Bob's and again that's mainly because Bob's has that antiseptic taste again.

I like your theory about the two companies not stepping on each other's toes, but I'm not sure it's actually borne out by the facts: SG also make different twists, bogies and pigtails and, for instance, SG Brown no. 4 isn't really that different from G&H brown Irish twist.

I haven't tried Louisiana flake yet - I think it's quite a new product since I understand G&H never used to have any perique blends. St James flake is basically just FVF with some perique added, a good blend I think and I can't detect any odd flavourings.

Warrior plug is actually a P. J. Carroll blend originally. I think that when P. J. Carroll was taken over (by Imperial?) their Mick McQuaid brand was given to Orlik and Murray's got to make warrior plug. So if Warrior has a "lakeland essence" it wasn't in the original Irish blend and I personally can not taste it the G&H version (or in Revor plug, which has a similar history).

No, unfortunately I haven't been able to obtain dark flake anywhere in the UK nor Stonehaven. That's a pity, but I really like Germains Brown flake and full Latakia flake and maybe it's a just a case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 pm

what specific flakes do G&H do that are better than the SG equivalents?

[/quote]

My apologies for not expressing my opinion well, Roqsan, my post was meant to compare only two similarly named (and somewhat similarly blended in my eyes) Chocolate Flakes by the two companies and indicate that this is the exception to my general preferences, that of the SG over the G&H. Other than the G&H-Louisiana Flake and the SG St. James Flake, I don't see any other flakes that are that closely comparable between the two companies. But three of my top-ten tobaccos are other G&H flakes and none of the other SG flakes are in my top group, therefore I seem to have a preference for G&H flakes over SG flakes, even though they may not be compared on a one-on-one basis of similar blends.

Perhaps more of an apples & oranges comparison, but I apparently prefer one fruit over the other?

Natch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
chevy5759

Registration date : 2010-05-07

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm

My Tad order arriving tomorrow includes Ken's G&H recommendations. My last Tad were SG offerings and I have found that I am enjoying the Lakeland toppings. I am looking forward to the G&H offerings tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:59 pm

So far as I know (hearsay only) Esoterica's Stonehaven is the USA distribtuion of Germain's Dark Flake. I've HEARD that the two are identical. If you ever snag some Dark Flake send me some and I'll send you some Stonehaven...we can have a 'ond crossing smokeoff!' lol

Just opened three new items...one of Warrior and one of Reavor and one of Germain's Brown Flake. The Warrior definetely has some very slight Lakelandesque notes...the Reavor REEKS of Latakia! Both smoke well. The Brown Flake is quite frankly...stellar! The second half of the bowl is "moaning good" tobacco!

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jj1015

Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:26 am

I've really been getting into these products lately -- they are top notch! I've yet to smoke one that I thought was poorly executed, even if I wouldn't want to smoke all of them on a regular basis.
So far, I like Kendal Flake and Coniston Cut Plug the best. Bob's Chocolate is also nice, as if Dark Flake. I've also found myself smoking a lot of Kendal Ky.
Personally, I like the "soapy" nature of these. I'm not usually an aromatic fan, but I really enjoy the floral/soapy/perfumey nature of the flavorings often used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roqsan

Registration date : 2010-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:14 am

Blackhorse wrote:
So far as I know (hearsay only) Esoterica's Stonehaven is the USA distribtuion of Germain's Dark Flake. I've HEARD that the two are identical. If you ever snag some Dark Flake send me some and I'll send you some Stonehaven...we can have a 'ond crossing smokeoff!' lol

Just opened three new items...one of Warrior and one of Reavor and one of Germain's Brown Flake. The Warrior definetely has some very slight Lakelandesque notes...the Reavor REEKS of Latakia! Both smoke well. The Brown Flake is quite frankly...stellar! The second half of the bowl is "moaning good" tobacco!

I put up another thread about JFG Dark Flake so as not to coopt the G&H thread. Although my impressions of Warrior and Revor are somewhat different to yours, we most certainly agree about JFG Brown Flake!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Lately, there's been a lot of thread necromancy in BOB . Just sayn'... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:16 pm

I'd say, of the comparable SG and GH tobaccos I've tried, each company does some things better than the other.

Dark Flake and 1792/Bracken are just sort of different. I wouldn't say one is better than the other per se. I like Dark Flake both scented and un-, but also like 1792 and Bracken a lot. Dark Flake is like the grand daddy of tobaccos. The most tobaccoey tasting tobacco out there.

GH Rope is better than SG Rope, no contest.

SG St. James flake is better than GH Louisiana Flake, no contest.

I still have to try the kendal kentucky, conniston, ennerdale, bosun, and all their other 'regular' offerings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:42 am

I noticed on one vendor's site that they had Brown Irish X, Brown Bogie and Brown Twist for sale. OK...I understand the difference between the Bogie and Twist as being size (diameter). Is there any difference other than size with the Brown Irish X? I assume it's slightly smaller in diameter than the Bogie?

Over on the SG side (I thin it was) there is XX and even XXX? Are all these designations ones of size? Is there any 'source' that lists all these things definitively?

Inquiring minds, etc.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Earlier this week I received a generous sampler of GH tobaccos (and a few bonuses) from Natch. Thanks again brother.

Where have these been all my life? Shocked

I had been a fan of Dark Flake Scented and Brown Flake U/S in a big way, as well as the Brown Irish X, but had not tried anything else in their range besides St. James Flake which to me is good but not a fave.

I'm smoking my second bowl of Coniston Cut Plug right now. To me, this is like Irish Flake with a dollop of that GH richness. This tobacco is an ACE!

Bosun Cut Plug is out of this world too, so very earthy and full.

Best Brown #2, kind of similar to Brown Flake but I think I like BF a little bit better. Very good though. Worth keeping both around for variety.

No. 7 Broken Flake, Loved it!

Curly Cut Regular, very nice but I prefer the Brown Irish X.

What can I say, Ken was right all along. Laughing

One thing that's fun about trying all of the GH offerings, is that since a lot of them use the same constituent tobaccos in varying quantity, you really get to know them each individually and what they bring to the blend. Kind of like "variations on a theme."

Next up, chocolate flake comparison with SG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skip48
Jig Master

Registration date : 2010-10-10

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:31 pm

I like the Bob's enough that I added 2 pounds this week to the half pound I had.

Like most all I have tried and can't wait for my factory sealed one pound block of Samuel Gawith's Kendal Plug from the year 2000! Whoever knows Samuel Gawith knows their famous Kendal Plug.

Like FVF, Kendal Flake as well as all the others I have tried and even Firedance that some don't like.

Keep trying more of both and liking both, but I do like G&H Bob's better than SG Mayors.

Skip
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thumpitjigs.com/
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:26 am

Skip - I'm frequently surprised at how much I like 'some' of the scented or semi-scented versions of both SG and G&H. Case in point this time is Firedance. Like all of these, the longer it sits, the more and more mild the flavoring becomes (sidebar: I've got some 7 y.o. 1772 that you can hardly tell was once flavored with Tonquin). Anyway, a friend in Anchorage, AK sent me an opened tin of the Firedance that was a year or two old...each flake COVERED with fairy dust and the Blackberry-Vanilla Brandy flavor and aroma were mild...and simply delicious! Unlike many I didn't start out smoking aromatic blends...one of the first blends I remember was Bob's Choco-licious Flake. So, aromatics have never impressed me. Trying to COVER the aroma of the tobacco just tells me the tobacco most likely wasn't all that good. But when a blend is designed with a casing or sauce prep to enhance or play harmony to the base tobacco's flavor, etc. it can be real art. And Firedance, which is potent with flavor, does just that.

GO DUCKS!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skip48
Jig Master

Registration date : 2010-10-10

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Blackhorses with my firs try of Firedance my thought were just this...boy with a little time I bet then stuff is very good. Not that is was not good right new out of the tin as I thought it was. I am hoping the tins I have put back tell the full story this year or next. I still have the open tin in a jar and smoke it from time to time. I also fully expect that I add more of it to my stash when I get the chance.

I love the Bob's Chock, and did so from the first bowl. I found though that each cowl since has med me like it even more to the point I already had 1/2 pound, I added 2 more pounds this last week, LOL! I also find it very easy on the tongue which sometimes is important for me anyway.

I guess my largest bulk tobaccos I have decided on to hang around a while is this and 2015 which I also really like and at $39 a pound it's hard for me not to have plenty for regular pipe loads. I think may even add more to both later. One of the best parts about these for me is they are pretty darn good right out of the tin new.

Skip
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thumpitjigs.com/
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 12:55 am

Anyone smoked some of the rarer GH blends like Sliced Cinnamon Twist, Cherry Cream Flake, Dark Plug Rose, Kendal Aniseed Black Pigtail, Coffee Pigtail, and my favorite sounding Brown Irish Twist Licorice Plum!! Wow! I think I could keep myself occupied forever if I lived in Kendal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 1:01 am

This might have been given before but from what I've seen Mr Snuff has a fair lineup of odd items (odd to us perhaps).

Very good place to do business with as well.

https://mrsnuff.com/pipe-tobacco-c-168.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 1:22 am

thanks blackhorse! are all the twists smokeable? it says chewing tobacco but can also be smoked. Anyone know how the compare to the ropes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 1:51 am

I'm thinking DrT999 would know far better than I, but my understanding is that they (twists, pigtail, rope, etc.) are all very much alike except in diameter. They might have different ratios of leaf to rib to whatever other plant parts they spin up on those machines...but I think they're quite similar.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 8:10 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
thanks blackhorse! are all the twists smokeable? it says chewing tobacco but can also be smoked. Anyone know how the compare to the ropes?

As far as I know, all of the twists are smokeable. The pigtails are traditionally used for chewing, but they're made up of the same tobaccos as the larger ropes and twists, so there's no reason one would be unable to smoke them. The only difference should be the diameter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 9:02 am

Those twists/pigtails are as smokable as the GH twists sold as pipe tobacco -- in some cases they are the same thing, just packaged slightly differently. Some of the little packages of 'chewing pigtails' sold at Mr Snuff are actually the larger twists, sometimes the thinner pigtails

They're all good! I think the sweet rum the best, but to each their own
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 9:13 am

Sweet Rum is my favorite (so far) as well.

Note: If you've never tried the "sweet" twists...they are not really sweet, in the USA aromatic sense. It's just that they have the edge taken off and a slight scent/flavor added. Think of Dark Flake/Plug as being the base...then make it not quite so sharp. I love Dark Flake both scented and unscented, but I love the sweet twists as well.Still strong and robust, they are a bit more approachable. I've tried the Rum and Whiskey...both good. The Maple should be good...the Cocoanut just seems weird...and those are the commonly available ones in the US. Mr. Snuff has other scentings...yeah, it would be fun to try, but I have a daughter in college and have to make prudent decisions as I'm retired and have multiple passions. lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 9:25 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
Anyone smoked some of the rarer GH blends like Sliced Cinnamon Twist, Cherry Cream Flake, Dark Plug Rose, Kendal Aniseed Black Pigtail, Coffee Pigtail, and my favorite sounding Brown Irish Twist Licorice Plum!! Wow! I think I could keep myself occupied forever if I lived in Kendal.

Now if only someone that would sell to the US market would carry the new Brown Irish Sweet Chocolate Rose.... The place I first convinced to import Grasmere seems out of business the last few times I checked; but I'll find someone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 11:14 am

Just like ALL the McC's 'baccy has that ketchup essence, ALL the Lakeland stuff has that Old Ladies Soap essence in it!! I'll take ketchup over that any day!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 12:06 pm

And don't forget...ALL MacBarens have honey in them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread   Sat May 23, 2015 12:36 pm

And as usual monblablabla is full of it.  lol

Please get over yourself, stop trolling re these blends and try to remember that Lakeland is a geographic designation, not a content description. Many of the blends produced in the Lakeland district are straight as an arrow...no scenting at all.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next