HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Filling Pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Filling Pipes   Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:05 am

As much as I've enjoyed smoking pipes over these many years I still can't say that I like filling them.Sometimes I wish I was rich enough to hire someone to fill my pipes for me.The only chance there is of that happening though is for me to hit the big bucks in the lottry.Fat chance of that ever happening.I can't hit one number let alone all of them.The point of this is to say that i've taken to filling two pipes at a time now.It doesn't take much longer than one,and I only have to do it half as often.It seems like I spend less time filling pipes this way.It's probably just in my mind though.What say you? Do you fill more than one pipe at a time?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:17 am

Interesting, I've never disliked any part of pipe smoking, I actually like the 'ritual' of filling (especially with flakes or plugs) and enjoy cleaning them (though I'm not as insane as some about it).

I knew a guy in a pipe club, who always had the host B&M clean his pipes (which were generally filthy). He had an odd habit of filling his pipes, smoking them down to where they would no longer burn (normally we call this dottle) and then he would dump in some more baccy (right on top of the dottle) and smoke away. He was a likable sort in every way, just had the oddest smoking habit I've ever encountered. He smoked Dunhill Baby's Bottom exclusively, though what he smokes now I don't know. He'd always offer it around and was generous with it (at then $18/50gram tin imported no small feat). I tried BB several times at his offering, but found it way too 'lite' for my tastes. It's 'Smooth as a Baby's Bottom', however, it's so smooth it lacks character and 'taste'! Maybe if I 'dottle stacked' it like him I'd have found it more satisfying affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:06 am

Fillin' em is more fun than cleanin' em. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Filling   Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:19 am

I frequently pack more than one pipe at a time not so much because I don't like doing it but because it is more convenient and saves time later. Right now my lunch time pipe is sitting in my car ready for me to light up when I go out to pick up food to bring back to desk later. I especially will fill a few when setting out on a long drive. I then get several different tobaccos on the trip without taking a lot of tins or jars with me. My favorite is the pipe I load before a round of golf and light up after the round when I am on my way home. It is usually a 'special' treat and a nice change from my regular PA smoked on the course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:11 pm

In some earlier topic (one which may have been lost to the Great Database Fail of Aught-Eight) a brother mentioned a detail from, I believe, Moby-Dick, wherein an officer on the ship would fill up all his pipes in the morning and then smoke them throughout the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
the macdonald

Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Quote :
He kept a whole row of pipes there ready loaded, stuck in a rack, within easy reach of his hand; and, whenever he turned in, he smoked them all out in succession, lighting one from the other to the end of the chapter; then loading them again to be in readiness anew. For, when Stubb dressed, instead of first putting his legs into his trowsers, he put his pipe into his mouth. I say this continual smoking must have been one cause, at least, of his peculiar disposition; for every one knows that this earthly air, whether ashore or afloat, is terribly infected with the nameless miseries of the numberless mortals who have died exhaling it; and as in time of the cholera, some people go about with a camphorated handkerchief to their mouths; so, likewise, against all mortal tribulations, Stubb's tobacco smoke might have operated as a sort of disinfecting agent.

Here is the quote from Moby Dick.

Pre-packing pipes always sounded like a good idea to me, but I am doubly cursed with a fickled appetite and impatience, so if I managed not to smoke every pipe I packed immediately, I may not want what I packed anyhow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:20 pm

I wonder what tobacco Stubb was smoking. Since we are entering the flu season, maybe he was onto something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:28 pm

I don't prepack pipes; unless I'm going to be driving for hours without a break. As with my tea drinking and wet shaving I enjoy the ritual of pipe smoking; which includes the act of packing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:56 pm

I find it convenient for me to pack several meers and then put them
in their cases when I am going on a car trip.
Last night I packed a couple pipes with FVF which was a little too moist,
today it's just ready to smoke.If I'm going to be home on a rainy day with
a good book,I'll pack 5-6 pipes and smoke them one after another. Smile

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Winslow I want to be like you when I grow up. "Home on a rainy day with a good book and 5 or 6 packed pipes." What a day! I hope to have some of those!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:36 am

clueless wrote:
Winslow I want to be like you when I grow up. "Home on a rainy day with a good book and 5 or 6 packed pipes." What a day! I hope to have some of those!

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:16 pm

I actually kind of enjoy packing the pipes. The only time its a hassle is if I am in the car- its not the safest thing as it takes me two hands to do it. I usually pre-pack the one for my morning drive to rehearsal and Im almost done smoking by the time Im there. Ive never pre packed several pipes beforehand, though. Kind of a neat idea...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dillon

Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 am

I have to say, packing has gotten less enjoyable recently. Probably because I'm not patient enough and I got obsessive about doing it just right based on past experiences with certain tobaccos, so I'm always second-guessing myself if I don't just gravity-fill a bowl. I've found that as a way to get around being afraid of being wrong I'm starting to load pipes a lot more simply, ie rubbing out flakes most of the way and gravity-filling. Also, I smoke mostly late at night, outside as always, and so my pipes condensate a lot more, especially when just sitting in the case, so a lot of my smokes end up wet. Maybe it's just a phase and I should go back to concentrating and slowing down. Pre-packing doesn't seem like a bad idea (a better idea than DGT), maybe I'll try that as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Centurian 803 wrote:
I don't prepack pipes; unless I'm going to be driving for hours without a break. As with my tea drinking and wet shaving I enjoy the ritual of pipe smoking; which includes the act of packing.

My feelings exactly.
Back to top Go down
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Filling Pipes   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:13 pm

I don't mind loading my pipe. But then again, I don't do any of the fancy stuff that is out there.

I load and pack in thirds...once with the touch of a child, once with the touch of a woman, and once with the touch of a man...or however that saying goes. When I was taught to pack a pipe by the owner of the tobacconist I go to, he chuckled about how he always felt like he was being politically incorrect by using that expression.

Anyways, that's if I'm taking the time to smoke a full bowl. I usually smoke less than half a bowl, because if I've got a ton of time I usually find myself reaching for a cigar. So when I'm filling half a pipe I just toss 'er in and light it up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Filling Pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1